General Discussion Triathlon Talk » little help? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-25 10:02 AM

User image

New user
NE Kentucky
Subject: little help?

I live in Grayson, way northeastern Kentucky and wonder if there are any triers in the area. Really appreciate the opportunity to sit and "talk shop". I'm a newbie, all the knowledge I've gained has been right here on BT. Just want to gather as much info as possible before my first race. Scheduling the Deer Creek on October 2nd which is 10 weeks away, but I'm starting to get excited...

Also would like to know if anyone has any tri equipment sitting around collecting dust. I'm talking anything from bikes to swim caps.

Thanks so much.

2011-07-25 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3613224

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wahiawa, Hawaii.... but now in Florence, KY..
Subject: RE: little help?
i just moved to Florence, ky in april.  I'm no expert and am still a beginner triathlete but i can help with the little i know.  Swim cap, wouldnt worry too much, they'll give you one at the race, thats really the only time i use them.  what gear are you looking for exactly?
2011-07-26 6:22 AM
in reply to: #3614501

User image

New user
NE Kentucky

Well, that's part of the problem. I'm still trying to figure out 1) what I actually "need to survive" and 2) what I can afford. Planning on the Deer Creek Fall Challenge on October 2. Know it'll probably be temperate, so heat won't really be an issue, but could be on the colder side. Thinking a wetsuit would be a good idea, just about as smart just to buy one. Beyond that, not real sure...Little more help? Thanks...

2011-07-26 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3613224

User image

Veteran
Lexington, KY
I wouldn't buy a wetsuit right out of the gate. Rent one instead. Many places will rent a suit for a day. The usual rule of thumb for wetsuits has to do with water temp. If water temp < 70 degrees F, wetsuits are mandatory. If temp 70-78 , wetsuits optional. If >78, wetsuits not allowed.

As far as other gear, the only madatory things are a bike, bike helmet, and running shoes. Swim caps are optional depending on the race (usually open water swims require caps as it helps them to see the swimmers).

Everything else is optional. It can be very easy to spend a huge sum of money for this hobby. I would recommend starting on the cheap. If it hooks you, and you continue to love it, you can always upgrade in the future.

Hope that helps.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » little help? Rss Feed