General Discussion Race Reports! » ACME Multisports Music City Triathlon (Intermediate Distance) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

ACME Multisports Music City Triathlon (Intermediate Distance) - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Nashville, Tennessee
United States
Team Magic
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 13m 17s
Overall Rank = 281/379
Age Group = M 40 -44
Age Group Rank = 38/50
Pre-race routine:

I normally like to get to my races very early. I learned from last year's experience there is no need to arrive at this race early. My main goal was to be in and out of transition by the cut off. This race involves a spring and an olympic distance. The sprint goes first in a time trial start. Generally speaking, it is about 1.5 hours after transition closes before I hit the water. Today was no exception.
Event warmup:

I didn't do much to warm up. I did a little stretching while watching the sprinter swim, but that was about it. I did take the day off 2 days prior to this race. I then ran 4 miles on the day before this race. This was a new strategy for me. I was basically using this race to guage several different thing in preparation for Ironman Florida. I think this routine worked out well, except I probably would have been a little fresher just running 2 miles the day before the race.
Swim
  • 32m 33s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was very pleased with my swim. I predicted 31:00, so I was only 1:30 off my prediction and I didn't factor in the swimming upsteam. I finished MOP which is a very huge improvement from where I started.

On the start I noticed many people were angling towards the middle of the river close to the buoys. I stayed closer to the shore. Since we were swimming upstream I figured the current would be less near the shore. Another benefit, which I hadn't previously considered, is I had no contact with anyone the first 350 yards since everyone was about 10 yards to my side. This could have hurt my drafting, but I have no practiced drafting, so there were no plans to draft today.
What would you do differently?:

I was very pleased with my swim. The only thing I could see doing differently is turning a little closer to the buoy on the return trip upstream. The current swept me about 20 yards downstream of the buoy.
Transition 1
  • 04m 54s
Comments:

I lost some time in T1. Once I got to my bike everything was fine. There is a long run from the water to the bike. I couldn't get my breathing under control, therefore I walked to transition. This probably cost me a minute in transition.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 32s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.29 mile/hr
Comments:

I need to get stronger climbing hills. This is where I lost my time. I wanted to average 18 mph and I was above that without killing myself so I was pleased.
What would you do differently?:

Train harder on hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Was ranked 25th. Felt T2 went well.
Run
  • 1h 12m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't feel my run was good, until I looked at my time. I normally run a 11:30/12:00 minute pace. I walked a lot more due to the heat and hills, so I figured my time would be bad. I guess when I was running I was running faster than my normal pace. Maybe I need to work on pacing, but it's hard to tell because the heat was so extreme it makes it difficult to judge too much from this run.
Post race
Event comments:

This is the first race where I feel really pleased with my effort. My goal was to break 3:15. I did this by 1:30. I am very excited about that. It also shows how far I have come since last year it took me 4:07 to finish this race. It is a lot more fun finishing with others around instead of bringing up the rear. I am not middle of the pack yet, but my swim is. My bike has come a long way and I am continuing to work on the run. Most of all, I am having fun.

Last updated: 2010-11-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:33 | 1640 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 28/50
Overall: 190/379
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: The swim course is rectangular in shape. You start out swimming upstream, cross the river, swim downstream, cross the river, then finish swimming up stream.
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:54
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:21:32 | 24.85 miles | 18.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/50
Overall: 0/379
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The course is a 2 loop out and back. There are rollers with the out going uphill and the back going downhill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:12:35 | 06.21 miles | 11m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/50
Overall: 0/379
Performance: Average
Course: It was a two loop course. Very hilly with at least 3 climbs per loop.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-27 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Subject: ACME Multisports Music City Triathlon (Intermediate Distance)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ACME Multisports Music City Triathlon (Intermediate Distance) Rss Feed