General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » MightyMan Half Iron Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-30 8:16 AM

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Subject: MightyMan Half Iron Triathlon : Official Thread

2011-07-30 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3621654

Expert
Subject: RE: MightyMan Half Iron Triathlon : Official Thread
How's training going everyone?
2011-08-18 10:08 PM

thinking of doing the olympic distance not the half - but there are more members here.  Does anyone have experience swimming in Fort Pond - on the weekends?  Is there a better place to get some open water swimming nearby?  Also, has anyone seen the bike/run course?  Also i was reading race reports from last year and their were comments about choppy water - is that unusual for fort pond?
2011-08-19 10:24 AM

User image

New user
I'm signed up for the Olympic distance and I'm looking forward to it!  I haven't raced here before but I hear the bike/run isn't incredibly hilly, maybe some hills but nothing crazy.  I had a compact crank for IMLP and my Coach told me to get rid of the wussy gears for this race!
2011-08-27 7:44 PM

User image

Elite
I'm in. I did the mighty montauk in June ( oly) the bike course is very similar... Some hills on bike on your way to the lighthouse and back, pretty manageable. On run I hear murder hill is not fun but obviously doable.Never swam in fort pond but it can't get much chopper than lake montauk was in june.Good luck
2011-08-27 8:27 PM

User image

not doing it this year thanks to a crappy off season but i have to say easily my favorite race! hills on the bike are pretty manageable and same with the run. murderers hill by itself is nothing but all the hills in that middle section are murder!

2011-08-27 8:50 PM

Expert
This year will be my fourth time doing this race. I'm hoping that the base I built in preparation for IMLP will help carry me to a sub 6 hour time... Finally! That has been my goal for a few attempts now. The course is beautiful! The bike course is pretty simple. The hills really are not too bad, mostly rollers where you get to build up a bunch of speed going down before you have to climb. The run course is difficult IMO. Murder hill is tough, it's about half way through the loop (2 6.55 mile loops) so you hit it twice. Remember that when your going up the hill and you think you're at the top, it bend around to the right and there is a little more climbing. It is steep. The swim is nice. The pond is like glass... Usually. Watch, this year the wind will be howling and their will be 3 foot waves, lol.
2011-08-28 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3662364

User image

Elite

mscotthall - 2011-08-27 9:50 PM This year will be my fourth time doing this race. I'm hoping that the base I built in preparation for IMLP will help carry me to a sub 6 hour time... Finally! That has been my goal for a few attempts now. The course is beautiful! The bike course is pretty simple. The hills really are not too bad, mostly rollers where you get to build up a bunch of speed going down before you have to climb. The run course is difficult IMO. Murder hill is tough, it's about half way through the loop (2 6.55 mile loops) so you hit it twice. Remember that when your going up the hill and you think you're at the top, it bend around to the right and there is a little more climbing. It is steep. The swim is nice. The pond is like glass... Usually. Watch, this year the wind will be howling and their will be 3 foot waves, lol.

this is how i felt in montauk oly...different run course but it felt like i was going up or down a hill all the time

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » MightyMan Half Iron Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed