General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2004 Races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2003-09-30 2:04 PM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: 2004 Races
Anyone started thinking about 2004?

I am leaning towards doing the Pineman 1/2 IM distance and I am definately doing the Columbus Marathon. Outside of these two, I am not sure what else I am going to do.

2003-10-01 3:41 PM
in reply to: #1012

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: 2004 Races
i'm thinking of hitting up some olympics after my hiatus.
2003-10-02 7:22 AM

Veteran
Rutland Ohio (South Eastern Ohio)
Even though 2004 will be my second year doing this, I am hoping to do:

Buffalo Trails Duathlon, Little Smokies 1/2IM, Deer Creek Tri, Maumee Bay Tri, East fork tri, caesar creek tri, GBC 1/2 IM, Buck Creek Tri, Summa , and Deer Creek Full.

I would also like to get in some distance races...maybe the Athens Marathon and Columbus.

I haven't attempted to try to negotiate these with my gf yet. I'm sure it will be a fight, and even more fights along the way when I take time to train. Even with no GF problems I don't know if completing all of these races is possible with my level of experience. On top of that I haven't thought too much of cost (both registration, travel and boarding)

2003-10-02 7:31 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2003-10-02 9:29 AM
in reply to: #1036

Veteran
I haven't checked out the other states that much, but I feel pretty lucky to happen to be in the same state as a company the organizes a decent amount of races. I have no clue if the race entry fees are reasonable compared to other organizers. I would say that if I was willing to drive 4 hours during race season, (and if I could get my body to do it) I could race at least every other weekend.

I really don't know if I am taking the right approach to racing either. I have only completed 2 tri's so far and would like to greatly improve my times. I don't know if racing a bunch will help times, or if I should concentrate on putting in more training time. I also have been debating if I should go long(1/2 IM+ ) or concentrate on making my short race faster. Either way I am having fun in the process.

Edited by clightle 2003-10-02 9:32 AM
2003-10-02 1:06 PM

Houston, TX
I would just like to say on thing, as a girlfriend myself, I would try to motivate your girlfriend to get involved with you or with some kinof group to keep her active! My boyfriend and I both compete in seperate sports, and we are both training all the time. So when it comes time to go home and share stories, bad experiences, or amazing training days, it is always so much fun.

Just encourage your girlfriend to be supportive and let her know how much it means to you.

On the other hand, if you put your mind to training, you can do anything.

Some people "dream" of being #1, while other wake up everyday and "work hard" at it!!!

2003-10-03 11:18 AM
in reply to: #1041

Veteran
Thanks for your encouragement. I have been working on that by starting to get my gf into walking and cycling. The cycling doesn't work too well because we are at different levels. She knows how I feel when I cycle with her because she has an 11 yr old daughter that makes her feel the same way. We also started getting up early before work and workingout (her walking, I running) but that didn't last too long. Maybe we will get back into it soon.

We have also tried to find something that we can do together and came up with yoga which is excellent for both of us. In general though, my gf doesn't have much of a competitive drive. She also doesn't understand why I like to race. She came to a few of my races, but doesn't seem to enjoy herself which just makes me even more nervous. She has become more supportive since I started training.

I understand that she likes to spend as much time as she can with me , but on top of triathlon, I am also a Boy Scout leader. She also has her children to drive around and watch games of. We all have very busy lives and part of my gf's lack of support probably stems from her wanting more time with me.

I thank you again for your encouragement and suggestions. I also like your quote, or saying, or statement at the end of your response.
2003-10-22 7:08 PM

Champion
Gold member

ok...need to set a goal to get motivated during this soon-to-be-cold, blistery, snowy winter.  ok, here it is:

Saturday, September 18, 2004 Mt. Sterling, Ohio: Deer Creek Pineman Triathlon
Half: Swim 1.2 miles, Bike 56 miles, Run 13.1 miles

so, i'll probably be using sherricks schedule when he has it ready for a 1/2IM BUT i feel i need to be at the following for the 18weeks or so before...that will put me about mid-May to get to ~1hour run, ~2hours for the bike and 45min for the swim.  that leaves me with ~7months to get to these levels.  i think attainable...i plan to walk some during the event def if my running is slow to muster.  i shall do one or two olympics in the spring and mid 1/2IM program.  any ohions with me?  how about u jayC?  still thinking of doing it?

should i hr train?  i think i will.  will follow scotts article on the site...any good hr monitors one knows about?   can i swim with it?  that would be cool.  not too pricey though.

ive been in the funk this year, so i need a a few people to look at my training log and write off-color comments to the effect of 'stop being such a sissy and train harder!'...'we never told u could have that day off!'  etc, etc.

sound good?  tips please.

2003-10-24 4:43 AM
in reply to: #1396

Veteran
I was planning on being there, but moreso for the full rather than the 1/2. I guess time will tell though.

About HR monitors....I haven't researched them recently, but about a year or two ago I purchased mine. At the time it was the best bang for the buck for the functions that I wanted. I purchased a Rebock Precision Trainer I believe. I also believe it is made by Cardio Sport. The main reasons I purchased the model I got was:
It has a multiple zones (3 ranges set according to max zone input) and one manual zone
It can alarm when your heart is out of the zone selected
It records time in, above and below the zone for the zone that you have selected
The transmitter has a battery that you can change without sending it back to the factory
I thought it looked cool
The price seemed the best for the functions it had....about $100

Don't know too much about swimming with one, I just typically use mine to keep my running slow enough to stay in a recovery zone.

Since the time I have purchased mine, I have seen lower models for as low as $15 to $20. I believe since the technology has increased, the prices have decreased also.

I don't know about tips, I'm not good enough to offer them yet.
2003-10-24 6:21 AM

New user

Madison, CT
2004 will be my first year doing Triathlons. There are a couple of sprints local to me (Connecticut) but they are both in mid-September. Once the 2004 schedules start to fill I'd like to pick a late spring sprint. I am considering an Olympic distance as well, but my winter training will determine that. If I can't find any place to swim, I may put of any Oly until '05.
2003-10-24 10:29 AM
in reply to: #1396

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Yup, I'm still thinking about it, getting more serious by the day. Been in a busy work schedule for the last month or so but finding some time to train. Getting a new bike in the early spring in anticipation of doing some distance races. I went and got fitted on a P2K and a Soloist, not sure which way I'm going to go yet both ride really nice!

2003-11-17 9:34 AM

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
2004 will be my first year doing triathlons. I am doing my first half marathon this year. I plan on doing at least a sprint in June and an olympic in Oct. They are both local to me (Space Coast of Florida). I am also considering go over to Clermont for a race or two depending on how my training goes.
2003-11-17 11:39 AM

La Crosse, Wisconsin
I'm in Wisconsin and this will be my first season so I'm keeping it light. So far I have planned the Coulee Region Duathlon in La Crosse WI, the J-Hawk Early Bird in Whitewater WI (this will be the first tri, I will be participated as part of a team, I'm only doing the swimming) both of these will be in April. I want to do the Brewhouse Tri in Duluth MN in August, so from May-July I'm open. Is one tri a month too many or should I just focus on one or what I have 'scheduled' now?
2004-01-05 6:57 PM

Veteran
Palisade, CO
Happy New Year everyone.

Just signed up last week for the 'Race the Rockies' series. It is three sprint length races, two of them in Boulder and one up in Estes Park. They have a newbie division, which is perfect for me. They also give an award to the individual who shows the most improvement over the course of the series. Any other Rocky Mountain area people interested
2004-01-07 10:13 AM

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Read through the previous posts. It's so cool and inspiring to me to see folks committing to the sport. In my first season (2003) ever, I completed a sprint and an olympic. My plan this year is the Athens sprint triathlon and the Buffalo Springs .5 IM, if possible. The question I have for the group: Is it wise or even doable to try a race of the .5 IM length if I have never done even a half marathon? I could just do some more sprints and an olympic this year, instead. Just curious about others' experience and opinions. Thanks for the great forum.
Vanessa :-O
2004-01-07 2:31 PM

Expert
New Port Richey
Vanessa,
Whether or not you should "tri" a half IM depends on what kind of base training you have now. Do you have any biking, running or swimming experience right now? If you don't maybe it would be best to stick with sprints and olympics this year and make your Half IM your goal for next year. You don't want to push too hard, The goal is to get healthy and have fun.
Kevin
Just reread and see that you have two tris under your belt, so I say start gearing yourself toward the half IM but listen to what your body is telling you.

Edited by kgart 2004-01-07 2:33 PM

2004-01-07 3:45 PM

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Thanks for the encouragement, Kevin. I have ridden a couple of "100K" rides, although I opted for the 50 mile routes. Swimming is great. I hired a coach in 2000 and learned to swim. I have had a couple of "classes" with master swimmers, so I am actually comfortable with swimming. Also, the olympic swim was in the ocean - WOW, a little overwhelming, but I did climb out of the water and place my soggy butt on the bike!! What I find so intimidating is the notion of the run. I have struggled with many little, niggling injuries - knees, ankles and hip/back. Nothing major, but all painful and they have left me a little gun shy, as it were. :-( How do you prepare yourself, mentally and physically, to endure the run? When is pain a message to stop? I am confused and baffled by the mileage in the run. The other two sports are doable. Strangely enough, I ran track when I was younger and ran for exercise in college; but, I can't tell that I had any running experience anymore, it's like my body's memory is blank. I don't know how else to put it. I have walked/ran myself up to 3.5 to 4 miles (VERY SLOWLY) on a treadmill. I tried to run on an outside track over the holidays and could only manage 1.5 miles due to ITBS in my left knee. I stopped and stretched and went another .5 mile before the pain returned, so I quit after that. :-O Any suggestions? Should I stick it out or find a friend for the run leg?
Vanessa
2004-01-08 7:31 PM

Expert
New Port Richey
Vanessa,

I know what you mean about the run. That is my weak spot and I am currently working on it in the same matter as you. I got up to being able to do 1.5 miles at a time without walking but decided to try to condition my self better for the run by doing the walk/ run thing. It sounds like you have the other two down pretty well so just keep working on the run. Maybe hold off the half im for a while. Take your time getting to do the 3.1 miles without walking and do a couple of sprints and if your legs are feeling up to it go for the olympic. That is just my opinion, Hopefully someone with more running experience will chime in here. That is the good thing about this site there are many knowlegeable people with different experience levels. Good luck.
Kevin
2004-01-09 6:07 AM
in reply to: #3344

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Vanessa, Keep up the the walk breaks throughout your run from the beginning and slowly increase your distance (10% a week). It is hard to increase endurance and speed at the same time, so keep going slow as you increase distance. I went from never running > 2m in my life to a half marathon in 4 months using walk breaks as described by Jeff Galloway. If you keep having pain, I would see a doctor though. As for ITBS, I have seen some people talk about Active release therapy (ART) to help them.
2004-01-09 7:28 AM

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Kevin and Cameron,
Thanks for the input. I was "hoping" there would be an easier, faster way of getting running under control. I am afraid I have tried them and ended up here ! (Well, at this running stage, not the forum - this has been great!) I guess while it's cold, I will stay on the treadmill. Much gratitude for your time and experience. At least I am generally headed in the right direction. As for the .5 IM later this year, like Kevin said, I will just have to see.
Vanessa
2004-01-09 9:14 AM

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Sorry Vanessa, if it was "easy" then everyone would be fast :-) I know your pain. I am still slow and want to get faster, faster!

2004-01-10 7:53 PM

Dover, OH
I am planning on a sprint tri in early summer (unsure where yet), an olympic in the middle of summer (Sky Bank in Clelveland), and an olympic in the beginning of fall (SUMMA). I would also like to run the Columbus marathon this year as well.
2004-01-14 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3570

Veteran
Brx,

I am planning on running the SUMMA (olympic distance) and the Columbus Marathon. I have already registered for both so I am committed.
2004-01-14 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3483

Veteran
Vanessa,

I ran a 1/2 IM with only 1 tri (sprint), 1 duathlon(short also), and 1 1/2marathon under my belt last year. The running part was more of a walk though. I wasn't alone though, pretty much everyone that was still racing by the time I got off my bike had periods of walking. I come from a running background with very little swimming or biking. My swimming background was the mile swim every year at scout camp. I had never raced or even rode on pleasure rides more than 5 miles prior to last year. As long as you are steady and have a good training plan I'm sure you can complete any distance you want. Good luck and be careful ramping up your running miles. Running is the highest impact of the three sports so there is more likelyhood of injury.

Craig
2004-01-14 5:21 PM

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Thank you for the personal, Craig. It's inspiring. I feel comfortable with both the swimming and biking distances (well, haven't done them back to back, but ...), it's just getting used to the running again. I ran track in younger years and in college ran some to stay in shape, but nothing like a half IM distance (especially not with all the other stuff tacked on ;-) ). I think I will just stay with my current running strategy and commit to the .5 IM later, if the body allows. I have signed up for a sprint and was looking at an olympic and thought if I could "tier" up to the .5 IM, that might make me feel better mentally, as well as physically. Since the .5 IM isn't until the last of June, I have a little time to play with. It just gets so frustrating to be in a constant state of flux with the running ("can I run or not today" kind of stuff). I start to get a little blue, but hearing from everyone else has helped! I so appreciate that!
Vanessa
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2004 Races Rss Feed  

of 2