General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paddle Boarding! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-01 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Subject: Paddle Boarding!

Who does it?  Anyone know of any Michigan Paddle Board resources?  I remember Kristen asking about inflatables at some point.  

I tried it for the first time last summer at the Grand Marais Great Lakes Sea Kayaking Symposium.  Wow, I was floored by the core strength requirements.  It was without a doubt the most demanding core movement I have ever experienced, with respect to an endurance sport.  I might have been doing it wrong though ...

2011-08-01 1:21 PM
in reply to: #3623792

User image

Extreme Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods
Subject: RE: Paddle Boarding!
Paddle The Mitten:  http://paddlethemitten.com/  was at the Howell Aquathon.  Not really an organization, but rather a business, but this might be a good place to start.  The provided some of the swim course support during the mile swim and the aquathon.  Kind of trippy to look up and see a paddle surfer as you round a swim buoy.  
2011-08-01 8:50 PM

Extreme Veteran
The Wet Mitten in Grand Haven just opened this season.  They rent them, and so does Mackinaw Kite company.  I think both may offer lessons as well. 
2011-08-02 9:18 AM

Regular

Sharkless board sports in South Haven also does rentals.

I rented a board for a week in Maui back in Feb. - like you say it is a great work out and a lot of fun

2011-08-02 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI

Hi all,  Thanks for the links, I've been doing some reading .... and shopping.  I just bought a 12' Waterman Soft Deck.  With my next three weekends being spent up at our cottage, I can't wait to give it a go!

It looks like the paddle the mitten lady is pretty close to me.  I might take a lesson or two.  

2011-08-15 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI

Paddle boarding is awesome!  I absolutely love it.

The first day I learned a little lesson the hard way.  I was barefoot and lost my footing in a shallow, rocky area.  Came down hard on my heel and bruised the fat pad.  Nothing life altering, but I've been hobbling around a bit.  

The paddling technique is something I need to develop.  I'm just okay at holding a straight line.  Without doing any research, I'm applying some paddling principles of kayaking where you put your weight to the side that you are paddling on, to initiate an opposing carve to the paddle stroke.  It works okay.  I'm sure a little research on youtube would yield better results.

Yesterday was interesting.  While I couldn't stay out very long with the sore heal, I was able to get a little "surf" going.  We had two foot swells at the time, and if I caught it just right, I could ride them for short bursts.  When the lake brought in 3 foot breakers last night, I was really bummed that I couldn't give it another try.  (I did a little kayak surfing though.)

Overall, I am extremely happy with my purchase.  My board and paddle are great fits for me.  Cutting down the paddle was a breeze.  This is a sport that I am really excited to work on.  My first "endurance" paddle will be from our cottage across the east bay to the tip of Old Mission Peninsula.  If anyone wants to join in, I sure would like a companion.  Kayak, paddle board, jet ski, boat, swimmer, whatever ...  

2011-09-20 12:43 PM

Hi, I am right here in Holly and I work in Fenton. I am giving SUP lessons.  It is really important to start with a really good foundation.  It is much easier to start out the right way instead of trying to break bad habits.

I have been paddling for 5 years now and am ranked the fastest woman in the midwest.  I am on the BlkBox Surf team and we have done race clinics at some of the races in the Midwest series, including the TC Waterman.  I also give beginner lessons as well.

We have a fabulous board maker right here in Michigan that I can hook you up with, you can check the board maker out on facebook at BlkBox Surf.

My name is Mary Radtke and my email is [email protected].  Good luck to you and I hope that you enjoy the sport.

Edited by Marystjohn 2011-09-20 12:44 PM
2011-09-21 8:17 PM

User image

Regular
Hey all,I've been stand up paddling for a few years and this year focused heavily on racing (hi Mary!). There is a growing core group of enthusiasts helping to develop the sport. Mary is right to refer you to Matt at BlkBox. He builds great all-arounders for general paddling and yoga activities on the boards. He also builds excellent boards oriented toward surfing. He built my carbon fiber race board that I used to win the Midwest Stand Up Paddle Championship series and also qualify for the world championships. Not bragging, just trying to give you an indicator that he is a great professional resource in MI. Check the blog link from www.blkboxsurf.com. Even if you plan to only include SUP as a supplement or recreational workout in tris, I highly encourage it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paddle Boarding! Rss Feed