General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike fit, can multiple bikes work? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-03 8:49 AM

Subject: Bike fit, can multiple bikes work?

I am just getting into cycling.  Avid runner and swimmer so thought I would start biking and doing some tris.  Done a lot of mountain biking but not much road.

I have a Cycleops 300 trainer and set it up in a tri-bike configuration and have been getting used to riding with that.  So now I am getting ready to buy a bike and think I want a tri/TT bike.  I went to 3 different stores for fitting/trying bikes and have rode my friends Cervelo P2, he and I are the same size, but we didn't make any major adjustments.  I also tried the Trek 7.0, Specialized Trans, and Felt B12, basically all the entry level carbon tri bikes.  I rode them all for a couple of miles at most, and could tell the difference amongst them, but none felt "better" than the other.  They all felt comfortable to me.

My question is do I need to ride them for longer to find where the separation point is, or is it possible that I could buy 1 bike and make it work?

2011-08-03 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3626915

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Bike fit, can multiple bikes work?

here is what i found out over the time of riding my different bikes.

1) every bike has a different feeling to it once you have it properly tuned into your body height/mass

2) carbon vs aluminum is a big difference and everyone has their personal opinion on what one is better. personally I love aluminum vs carbon. call me crazy, but I can tell the flex is there and don't like it too much.  

3) running is evil. 

a few miles of riding a bike is ok, but when i tested my bikes i basically gave my LBS my credit card and then took off for a 25 mile ride.  they had no problem with that at all ( just ask before doing that. some LBS will not let you leave the parking lot and they are not the ones looking for my money)

i do have 7 bicycles and are each differently tweaked for what i will be training for and for how i want to ride that day. 

2011-08-03 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3626915

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Bike fit, can multiple bikes work?

Yes, there's probably a big range of spatial contact points (bars, saddle, pedals) that will "work", but a very narrow band for each that will be "optimal".

On top of that, for your optimal contact point locations, there are lots of bikes that will "work" by swapping out stems, adding spacers, going with a forward seatpost... But that doesn't mean the bike really fits.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike fit, can multiple bikes work? Rss Feed