General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie, needs help swimming! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-12 11:08 AM

User image

Subject: Newbie, needs help swimming!

I've made the decision, I'm going to complete a triathlon.  The only obstacles are that I don't own a bike, and my idea of swiming doggie paddling to shore.  I'm setting my goals long term, I want to finish my first triathlon next summer.

About Me:

I ran in high school, cross country and track, but didn't run at all until about 5 months ago; my wife wanted to start C25K and I decided to join her.  Now, we are training for our first HM.  I think the run will be my strongest event I'm averaging about 7:30/mile for 5k road races.  I'm saving money to buy a bike (hopefully have it purchased by December).  But the swim scares the $h!T out of me!  My wife swam in high school, but hasn't since (just like me and running!). 

Question:

Are there any begining swim programs to get me started?  My wife has volunteered to help coach my form (which I do with her running), but I'd like a training schedule to get me started, something like C25K but for swimming.

Thanks! 

2011-08-12 9:21 PM
in reply to: #3640957

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Newbie, needs help swimming!

that would be a great program, but I'm not sure of one.

As a recent zero-several kilometer swimmer, I can recommend a very basic approach.

Get in a 25 yard pool and go back and forth until you are not comfortable.

Then go further next time. Repeat.

OK this is not pro advice.

Check out the free training plans on this site. Even if you don't have a tri on the schedule, pick a time about 3 months out and have it make a sprint training program, maybe swim heavy. It will give you progressively longer workouts that make sense. If it seems too slow or too ambitious, re do a free plan with new parameters.

As for learning, I still have a long way to go before I would be happy with my technique, but I learned some head-slappers that took me too long.

#1 - breathe. Seriously. Do not hold your breath while your face is in the water. Exhale. Breathe constantly, in or out. You get this down, and even with bad slow technique, you'll go long.

Get a coach or at least adult swim lessons if that is available to you. I swam for miles with terrible technique and was really stressing my shoulder, until a 2 minute advice session with a YMCA lifeguard set me on a better path and my arm pain went away.

2011-08-12 9:33 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas
There is the Zero to 1 mile swim plan, it is really nothing more than progressively longer sets over several weeks
2011-08-13 10:05 AM

User image

Thanks for the advice and welcome!

I just found this http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=528 

It seems like exactly what I need.  I'm going to start this afternoon with my wife!  I went running with her this morning and I think overtime, even though she fears swimming in open water, I can get her to do a triathlon in the future with me. 

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go buy goggles.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie, needs help swimming! Rss Feed