Luray, Virginia
United States
Set Up Events
Total Time = 2h 52m 1s
Overall Rank = 35/201
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/31
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5, breakfast at 5:30, drove out to the race site at 6 to set up. It was good to be there early because I missed packet pickup the day before and the lines got really long later in the morning.
Event warmup:

Short ride, short run, even shorter swim.
Swim
  • 32m 49s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

Good, steady pace. not as fast as my pool swim, but I felt really comfortable and didn't freak out when I was bumped or kicked. The most difficult part was swimming around people in the waves ahead of mine. Was passed by a few women in the wave after mine, but I was able to draft off of them. My navigation was only slightly off coming into the beach (a constant problem for me), and I only inhaled water twice while sighting.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to navigate. A 2 min improvement from last year.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

The transition included the run up the hill (up stairs), so I'm pretty happy with this time. Didn't feel nearly as dizzy as I have in the sprints - may be due to the warmer water?

Need to eventually learn how to mount with my shoes on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 41s
  • 26.4 miles
  • 18.93 mile/hr
Comments:

Very happy with my bike time - my computer said the course was a little longer than the website. The course started with a hill and long downhill (sharp left at the end), then a steady up followed by another long downhill (and another sharp left at the end). The rest were short rollers and steady false flats. I felt strong and did some passing but was passed by some ladies in the swim wave behind mine. The long down hill at the beginning became a long up at the end, but it didn't feel as bad as it did last year. Training on hills helps. The nausea set in on the second loop and I knew I should back off, but I didn't. 6 mins faster than last year.

Nothing. I want to be able to hit it harder next year with another year of experience under my belt.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Still need to learn how to dismount with shoes off, but that would take some coordination that I'm not sure I have.
Run
  • 52m 25s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where the wheels fell off. I started out feeling nauseated, and it only got worse in the later miles. My pace really dropped between miles 2 and 4. I stopped to walk at the turn around to make sure I ate my gel and drank some water and HEED. Felt a little dizzy and depleted running up the hill after the turn, but I didn't walk again. I think I was able to pick up the pace a little on the last mile (but that may have all been in my head). Every woman that passed me in the last 3 miles was in my age group and it defeated me.

I need to stay more positive when I start getting tired!! I probably hit it too hard on the bike, but I think the nausea limited me, not my endurance. I know I can run faster at the end of an OLY - I ran 1 min faster last year.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, showered, packed up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nausea

Event comments:

I love Luray. It's a well run race in a beautiful location. It's tough, but that's what makes it so great. I was feeling pretty defeated at the end of the race, even though it was almost a 9 min PR because I thought I had my nausea issues worked out. I think next year I'll go for the double so that I don't feel the need to hit it so hard in the olympic.

Last updated: 2011-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:49 | 1640 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 12/31
Overall: 80/201
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Weird pac-man (borrowed term). Perimeter of the lake followed by a "V" towards the middle.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: