General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am so frustrated... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-08-20 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3650629

Subject: RE: I am so frustrated...

@ Puppetmaster: No hard feelings. While your post did come off as harsh, every now and then a good "Cowboy Up" can be constructive, and that is how I took your post.

I followed some of your suggestions and looked into that Total Immersion stuff, and it is amazing. I was going about trying to teach myself in completely the wrong way.  With the combination of the Total Immersion and me getting swimming lessons for Christmas from the wife, not only am I going to be able to do freestyle be next summer, I am going to be a PRO!

2011-08-21 12:13 PM

Hey man -I never did a Tri and coming from a marathoners background, I signed up for the IronMan. No tris, nothing. My race is in a week and given that I just learned how to put my face in the water in January and swim 2.5 miles, I think I've figured it out. Let me share my story because it's similar.Even now, my first 100m is completely jacked up because I can't breathe to save my life. During the race, I've accepted this so 100m in, I'm going to hold the canoes, catch my breath and keep holding the canoes till I'm ready to go long. Don't worry: those guys are there to support you.Here are a few tricks that helped me:1. Get your heart rate up before the swim. I run to expand my lungs so when i am in the water, I have better lungs.2. Relaxxx those muscles. Once in a whole, I panic, sink and everthig is out of control. Face the music, suck it up, and relax.3. Have you practiced any sighting yet? You shouldvexause you can't see in the water.4. Do you live next to an open water? If you do just try practicing to out your head in and out of the water. Lengthen the time it's under water. What sort of personality are you: "Throw me in the deep end and let me fend for myself"? Or "let me work up to it".Hope this helps.
2011-08-21 12:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

If my goal is just to have fun, and complete with myself, is it reasonable to just train doing strokes like side, back, and head up front crawl? If I could do twice the race distance in training with a side stroke for example, do you think I would be safe/ properly prepared to do a triathlon?

You might be safe in mellow races in calm bodies of water, but the bottom line: you need a better swim instructor.

You CAN learn how to swim fast and safe.

But I do understand your frustration. Many swimmers can swim or swim fast, but very, very few can teach you how to swim or swim fast.

Where are you located?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am so frustrated... Rss Feed  

of 2