General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Fall Classic Sprint Triathlon - Fall Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spring Fall Classic Sprint Triathlon - Fall Race - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wills Point, Texas
United States
Big Earth Racing
Total Time = 2h 12m 33s
Overall Rank = 57/108
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/15
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:30 to pick up future brother in law. Left his apartment by 5:30 and got to the event around 6:15. Ate a banana and clif bar on the ride there.
Event warmup:

Nothing.
Swim
  • 12h 52m
  • 875 yards
  • 1h 28m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I've swam for a grand total of 1.5hrs in about a year. I couldn't believe how quickly I swam. I guess the years of competitive swimming really paid off. My only real problem was sighting the final buoy. The red blended into the treeline just enough that it was hard to quickly distinguish with my fogged up goggles. Also managed to bend my toe nail back on the exit from the swim. Coming out of the water and seeing my fiance and her family there cheering was definitely a highlight.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. I should easily be able to get my time into the 1:20s and get out of the water quicker.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

Not really concerned with transitions as this is only my 2nd race. However, the day will come that I need to be able to have the shoes on the bike already and not have to worry about putting a shirt on when I get out of the water.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 30s
  • 23.8 miles
  • 16.70 mile/hr
Comments:

This is what I need to work on. The only problem with being ~3rd'ish out of the water is that allows the entire field to pass you on the bike -- quite disheartening. Saddle was causing severe discomfort towards the end making the ride quite difficult.

Bought a new saddle today so that issue will hopefully be resolved by the next race. Consider using HRM to keep better track of effort.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Slow. Dropped brand new glasses and freaked that I may have scratched them.
Run
  • 29h 55m 2s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 9h 37m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt fine after getting off the bike, not the usual wobbliness. My heart, however, blew up. Really wish I had my HRM on because I'm sure it was in the 190s. Could not get it to calm down for the entire shaded/trail portion, but was determined not to walk. Once my heart rate calmed down I could settle in and enjoy the run. The heat was slowing me down pretty bad and I'm still not completely used to it after spending so much time in comfortable Washington state. I only walked briefly (less than 5s) in order to take a sip of water at a couple of stations.

Definitely wear my HRM.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of endurance training. I've spend a long time on the bike and I've spent a long time on the run, but never a long period of time doing both to equal the time I spent at the race. I definitely need to do some bricks.

Last updated: 2011-08-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
12:52:00 | 875 yards | 1h 28m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 0/108
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri bottom
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:25:30 | 23.8 miles | 16.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/15
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
29:55:02 | 03.11 miles | 9h 37m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/15
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-23 3:57 PM

User image

Houston
Subject: Spring Fall Classic Sprint Triathlon - Fall Race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Fall Classic Sprint Triathlon - Fall Race Rss Feed