General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ST and Cardio: Which Should Be First? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-08-24 9:17 AM

User image

Regular
Galesburg
Subject: ST and Cardio: Which Should Be First?

I've done various kinds of strength training off and on for years, and I've been at least some ST once or twice a week for the last 2 years.  I'm bumping that up to 2-3x a week now, on the advice of an article in Triathlete, which recommends that triathletes in their 50's increase their ST in their training.

When I do an ST workout, I like to incorporate a cardio workout as well.  What I've been doing is once week, doing a hill repeat workout on the treadmill--5 min. warmup, 20-25 min of hill repeats, 5 min. cooldown.  Usually fairly intense, at least for me.  Then I go to ST.  It's usually "overall", some upper body, some core and some lower body.  I'm wondering, though, if there would be more benefit overall if I save the cardio for after my ST workout, since after an intense cardio session, I might not have the "oomph" for strength work that I would if I do the strength stuff first.

So, waddaya think?  More benefit going cardio then ST, or going ST then cardio?

Thanks!

Andy

2011-08-24 9:38 AM
in reply to: #3656797

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: ST and Cardio: Which Should Be First?
It really depends on your goals.  You are going to maximize your results on whichever you do first because you're the freshest.  For instance I find  that I can kill pullups if I do a back workout first but then my form and endurance suffer in the pool if followed by a swim workout.  Ideally I would have 2 workout sessions on the days you do ST and do cardio in the morning and ST in the evening.
2011-08-24 11:51 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Agree, it depends on your goals.  The one you want the most focus on you put first.  I'd honestly do the cardio first and then the strength training.  My strength training is to keep an injury at bay and cause I like it.  My cardio is part of my planned workouts to allow me to give the best possible performance on race day.
2011-08-24 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Illinois
I've "read" that you should ST first and then cardio...but that was a general rule.  As a triathlete, our goals are different and cardio might be (should be) first priority.  Like others said...depends on your goals.
2011-08-27 10:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Lift first or don't waste your time doing it at all.
2011-08-29 7:06 AM
in reply to: #3662427

User image

Payson, AZ

beanmj - 2011-08-27 8:21 PM Lift first or don't waste your time doing it at all.

Bold statement.  Want to back that up with any kind of why?

2011-11-10 11:59 AM

I would do the ST first then the cardio to make sure I'm lifting with proper form especially if I'm progressively increasing weight every two to three weeks.  Doing cardio while tired may/will hurt your form. 

Doing ST while tired could = strains, tears, broken bones if you have poor form with too much weight.  Drop the weight that you're lifting on yourself in an awkward manner etc.  I think t's more of a risk to do ST, even with basic lifts while tired than to do cardio while tired. 

2011-11-11 5:39 AM
in reply to: #3897411

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
nstearns - 2011-11-10 12:59 PM

I would do the ST first then the cardio to make sure I'm lifting with proper form especially if I'm progressively increasing weight every two to three weeks.  Doing cardio while tired may/will hurt your form. 

Doing ST while tired could = strains, tears, broken bones if you have poor form with too much weight.  Drop the weight that you're lifting on yourself in an awkward manner etc.  I think t's more of a risk to do ST, even with basic lifts while tired than to do cardio while tired. 

I think you're making assumptions about the type of ST program that is being done.  Plus, if there is the type of risk you describe associated with a lift, then you need a spotter.  Lastly, if you haven't established good technique with light weights, you shouldn't be lifting heavy.

I get this question a lot from clients.  My answer varies depending on their goals.  Generally speaking, do the one with the higher priority for you first.  For an endurance athlete such as a runner or triathlete, I usually advise cardio first.  For a client trying to get stronger or gain size, it's only a very short general warm up on a piece of cardio equipment before starting the ST session.

2011-11-11 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3898090

User image

Pro
CyFair
TriMyBest - 2011-11-11 5:39 AM

I think you're making assumptions about the type of ST program that is being done.  Plus, if there is the type of risk you describe associated with a lift, then you need a spotter.  Lastly, if you haven't established good technique with light weights, you shouldn't be lifting heavy.

I get this question a lot from clients.  My answer varies depending on their goals.  Generally speaking, do the one with the higher priority for you first.  For an endurance athlete such as a runner or triathlete, I usually advise cardio first.  For a client trying to get stronger or gain size, it's only a very short general warm up on a piece of cardio equipment before starting the ST session.

Totally agree here.  If you're the type of person that is going to prioritize cardio over ST than you probably shouldn't be lifting heavy enough to hurt yourself.  If you do have the random workout that fits the description then flip it for the day.

2011-11-14 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3898302

uhcoog - 2011-11-11 8:50 AM
TriMyBest - 2011-11-11 5:39 AM

Totally agree here.  If you're the type of person that is going to prioritize cardio over ST than you probably shouldn't be lifting heavy enough to hurt yourself.  If you do have the random workout that fits the description then flip it for the day.

This may seem contradictory but I generally agree with the two of you.  Trimybest, you're correct about the assumptions.My answer was based on the assumption that the person may not have proper technique for the lifts and may or may not have someone spotting them that knows what they're doing as well (In which case I should've suggested getting a PT)Since you have credible PT certs, most people at the gym don't know what they're doing.  I know that I cringe every time I watch someone use a kettlebell incorrectly, or uses poor technique with too much weight for curls, squats, etc. 

Also for some reason I had freak accidents in mind while I was posting.  For example, a gentleman about 10 years ago that blew out his gi tract while trying to break his 1rm for squats.  An nfl running back that crushed his trachea while doing bench presses etc and shouldn't have taken those into account. 

Thanks for pointing out that I had made assumptions  

2011-11-16 9:33 AM

User image

There is a simple answer to your question.  Before ST do a light 10 min. warm up on the treadmill and save your energy for ST.  ST is about hitting it hard getting stronger…Duh!.   I’m sure you have full schedule of endurance training, so there is no sense in comprising your ST training for the sake of 20 more intense minutes on the treadmill.  Save that fuel for the iron!

2011-11-16 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3904048

User image

Pro
CyFair
Muay_Tri - 2011-11-16 9:33 AM

There is a simple answer to your question.  Before ST do a light 10 min. warm up on the treadmill and save your energy for ST.  ST is about hitting it hard getting stronger…Duh!.   I’m sure you have full schedule of endurance training, so there is no sense in comprising your ST training for the sake of 20 more intense minutes on the treadmill.  Save that fuel for the iron!

ST is not always about getting stronger.  It could be about aesthetics, it could be about losing weight, it could be about muscular endurance, or injury avoidance, or bone density issues, etc.  You're missing the point here.  For the most part ST in a traditional sense does not have a ton of carry over to s/b/r so if you are crunched for time than prioritizing is needed.  20 intense treadmill minutes 3 times a week could make a bigger impact on your race performance than extra weight on a squat set.

2011-11-16 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3904231

User image

uhcoog - 2011-11-16 9:13 AM

ST is not always about getting stronger.  It could be about aesthetics, it could be about losing weight, it could be about muscular endurance, or injury avoidance, or bone density issues, etc.  You're missing the point here.  For the most part ST in a traditional sense does not have a ton of carry over to s/b/r so if you are crunched for time than prioritizing is needed.  20 intense treadmill minutes 3 times a week could make a bigger impact on your race performance than extra weight on a squat set.

You've just described all the benefits of ST, which also includes strength.  Nobody calls it "bone density training" or "aesthetics training" for a reason.  If the OP wants ST that will have a bigger impact on s/b/r, with a similar energy expenditure of the 30 mins. of intense treadmill, he can simply lower the rest time between sets and maybe lower the weights/resistance a little.   Thats all I'm sayin...too many complicated anwsers for a simple question.  I was simply stating imo intense cardio should be done after ST.   Cardio before ST should be a short warmup. That has been my personal experience and has been recommended to me many times. Just my opinion. 

2011-11-16 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3904483

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Muay_Tri - 2011-11-16 3:01 PM
uhcoog - 2011-11-16 9:13 AM

You've just described all the benefits of ST, which also includes strength.  Nobody calls it "bone density training" or "aesthetics training" for a reason.  If the OP wants ST that will have a bigger impact on s/b/r, with a similar energy expenditure of the 30 mins. of intense treadmill, he can simply lower the rest time between sets and maybe lower the weights/resistance a little.   Thats all I'm sayin...too many complicated anwsers for a simple question.  I was simply stating imo intense cardio should be done after ST.   Cardio before ST should be a short warmup. That has been my personal experience and has been recommended to me many times. Just my opinion. 

If you're saying that 30 minutes of ST at low weight/high rep/short rest interval of the same muscles that are used for s/b/r will get better results than 30 minutes of intense running, then the bolded part is incorrect.  The specificity principle is king when it comes to athletic training.  You cannot replace 30 minutes of running with 30 minutes of traditional ST and expect to run better than if you had stuck with the ST.  (For the sake of this discussion, I'm ignoring special situations such as injury rehab or muscle imbalance corrections, and am only referring to the concept that traditional ST can provide physiological adaptations to running muscles better than running will)

The benefits are the reason people do ST, not what it's called, and everyone focuses on different benefits.  Different training regimens provide those benefits in different ratios.  That's why the person's goals are what will determine which is done first, and the answer is still that it depends on the OP's primary goals.  Do whichever is the higher priority first to ensure it's a high quality workout.  There is never only 1 answer to these sorts of questions.

You've probably been told to do ST first, because you were talking to people who's highest priority is ST, not racing fast.

2011-12-01 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran

I'm with most of the guys here, it all depends on your goal.  As a power lifter I would do my cardio after, but do a short (real short) warmup cardio before.  Why?  Because doing cardio before strength training burns some, if not all of the glycogen stores you will need to lift (depending on duration).  My goal was to lift very heavy weight in good form so I needed as much of that glycogen as possible. 

NOW, that my emphasis is endurance, I have switched to doing cardio before my lifting.  Usually I will go swim before I lift, do my lifts with moderate to light weight in the 6 - 10 rep range, and then do some more running or biking on the machines.  I can definitely tell some of my muscle mass has left me, along with some of the related strength.  But that is not a bad thing, since my goals are now increasing my disances.  Lifting has become anciliary.  Yes, I have converted.

Edited by Theforge 2011-12-01 9:37 AM
2011-12-01 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3921927

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Theforge - 2011-12-01 10:36 AM

I'm with most of the guys here, it all depends on your goal.  As a power lifter I would do my cardio after, but do a short (real short) warmup cardio before.  Why?  Because doing cardio before strength training burns some, if not all of the glycogen stores you will need to lift (depending on duration).  My goal was to lift very heavy weight in good form so I needed as much of that glycogen as possible. 

NOW, that my emphasis is endurance, I have switched to doing cardio before my lifting.  Usually I will go swim before I lift, do my lifts with moderate to light weight in the 6 - 10 rep range, and then do some more running or biking on the machines.  I can definitely tell some of my muscle mass has left me, along with some of the related strength.  But that is not a bad thing, since my goals are now increasing my disances.  Lifting has become anciliary.  Yes, I have converted.

Welcome to the dark side. Bwahahaha!

2011-12-01 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3922028

User image

Payson, AZ
TriMyBest - 2011-12-01 8:23 AM

lol

2011-12-01 10:56 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-12-01 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3922028

Pro
CyFair
TriMyBest - 2011-12-01 10:23 AM

It's funny that depending on what circles of athletes you're running in this phrase has drastically different meanings. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ST and Cardio: Which Should Be First? Rss Feed