General Discussion Race Reports! » OSIM Singapore International Triathlon - Standard Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

OSIM Singapore International Triathlon - Standard Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Singapore,
Singapore
Triathlon Association of Singapore
29C / 84F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 44m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/179
Pre-race routine:

Only my second Tri (and first OD) after a Sprint earlier in the year so not sure what to expect. Preparation had been good in base building over the previous couple of months but had been away on holiday for 2.5 weeks until the Tuesday before the race and then took delivery of a new bike.. Woke up as planned, had a light breakfast and chased the family out of the house in plenty of time. Drove out to East Coast and parked a bit further away from the venue than I ought to as it turned out there were still plenty of slots available at the car park right next to the transition area. Said goodbye to the family and set up my transition area (although probably wasted a bit too much time on this). Had an energy bar and some water/100plus before warming up.
Event warmup:

Had time for a quick 5km warm-up on the bike which felt good and then headed down to the beach. My wife warned me about the current sweeping people off-line in the swim so I did a couple of 100m swims through the breakers to get a feel for it.
Swim
  • 32m 58s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

Decided to start out on the left of the course to keep track of location heading to the first buoy and not be pushed off-course by the current. Breakers made breathing tricky but my pace was good. Rounding first buoy definitely felt hard work against the current but concentrated on style and sighting to keep on course. After second buoy, heading back in opposite direction felt almost like surfing on the current but first part had drained me and really noticed it when getting out of the water for the second lap. Gave my wife a "this is much tougher than I expected" look and headed out for the second lap. Really focused on pulling long and breathing well on the second lap and avoiding back markers from the previous 2-3 Waves.
What would you do differently?:

Do more open water training in choppy conditions to help modify stroke and be more efficient.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition went well and while my feet did pick up quite a bit of loose dead grass cuttings and dirt I managed to wipe off the worst.

Had shoes attached to rear QR by rubber band (as I had done on my previous Sprint) but the band did not break! had to do so manually and wasted a bit of time getting up to speed as a result.. Will definitely take time to practise this again before next Tri.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 51s
  • 40 kms
  • 32.50 km/hr
Comments:

Took the first lap relatively easy and then pushed on a bit from there on the second lap. Was a little tricky to feel exactly how hard I could push and still have enough for the run as I was not used to the new bike and it felt easier than I expected. Drank well from my mix of water and 100plus so thought I would be well set up for the run. Legs above the knee just started to feel a little tired towards the end.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Wasted a little time in T2 but generally not too bad. Took my two small bottles of Water/100plus mix with me on the run.
Run
  • 58m 4s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 49s  min/km
Comments:

This is where it all hit. about 300m into the run I started feeling the muscle just above my left knee (Vastus medialis) tighten so I cut back my pace a bit to see if it would ease off. Unfortunately this did not work so I stopped and tried to stretch it out then carry on. This helped for a short while but each time I tried to up the pace it came back. In order to prevent total incapacitating cramps I was forced to keep the pace very low and walk every now and then - a real dissapointment but I told myself that the goal was to finish and just to keep plugging away. I did manage to pick up the pace to a respectable level in the finishing chute though!

I think I will need to incorporate more brick sessions into my training leading up to the next Tri and also experiment with nutrition and maybe salt tablets to find the best solution for me to avoid those cramps (any suggestions welcome!). I have also since adjusted my bike set-up slightly which I hope will give those muscles a slightly easier time of it...
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around the race area for a while, stretching etc

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Leg cramping on the run.

Event comments:

Rumoured that the race will be moving to Marina Bay next year to accomodate the increasing number of participants. If so, I will definitely be back to try it out at a new venue!

Last updated: 2011-08-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:58 | 1500 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/179
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Dog-Leg style loop of 750m x2 laps having to run around cone on beach between each lap
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:13:51 | 40 kms | 32.50 km/hr
Age Group: 27/179
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 4x10km laps of flat & fast course with 180degree hairpin at one end and almost 180degree turn at the other (which also had a warped drain cover sticking up on the inside line that my wife told me totally took out one participant leading to his withdrawal..) Course had some nice variation, some straight sections and other parts winding along the footpath through the trees of East Coast Park. Some sections were a bit narrow making overtaking a little tricky.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:58:04 | 10 kms | 05m 49s  min/km
Age Group: 0/179
Performance: Bad
Course: 2x 5km laps winding around the wake-boarding lagoon and down East Coast Park in the opposite direction from the Bike Leg. Water stations well placed generally in shady areas and water mist fans to cool the runners. There was even a guy with a water hose at one point spraying us down which was a welcome relief.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-26 2:56 AM

Subject: OSIM Singapore International Triathlon - Standard Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » OSIM Singapore International Triathlon - Standard Course Rss Feed