General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2 Weeks off work and keen. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-02 2:10 AM

Subject: 2 Weeks off work and keen.

Hi guys,

Been lurking about for a while and checking things out.

I've got two weeks off work coming up (Yay, school holidays) and would like to hit the training pretty hard since I have no travel plans and a lot of extra time.

My story so far.

Lived first 28 years of life as couch potato.

Started a run/walk program in September last year.

In february this year decided to train for a marathon. 

April complete first half marathon in 1:59

May, half marathon in training 1:45

July 2nd complete marathon in 4:12

July 3rd, get into pool and swim 1500 metres, decide triathlon is a good idea.

Since then have been running three times a week, swimming three times a week and cycling (I only own a mountain bike) 3 times a week.

My first tri is in mid-october and is a 600m/18k/8k off-road tri.

Current paces

10k run, 45min

600M swim, 10:30

Cycle, no idea

I feel my current limiter is definitely the swim, my technique is a bit rubbish.

So, given all that, the short question is, 

Given i have no work commitments for two weeks, what is the best program I can put together to maximise my gains during that period?

2011-09-02 3:06 AM
in reply to: #3670261

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: 2 Weeks off work and keen.

I'll take a stab since it is late.

First, since swim is your limiter (or at least you feel it is) then I would try to get some lessons, or at least get some online video's and really work on you swim stroke.  You can swim a lot without increasing the risk of injury, but you don't just want to pelt out a lot of laps.  Do some drills, do some intervals, and then do some long swims, but really focus on your breathing, rotation, staying long, and your kick.

Of course get in an OWS or 2 if you can.

Second work on adding in more biking.  You should also use this time to try to do some equipment work, such as swapping your tires for slicks. A moutain bike with moutain bike tires will really be slow compared to the rest of the field.  There is no harm in this, just be prepared and adding a pair of slick tires might really help.  It might make sense to measure a loop that you cride your bike on, and then you can time that loop so you can calculate how fast you are riding.

I would not recommend  upping the run a lot.  General concensus here is quickly ramping up run volume is a recipie for injury.  The rule of thumb is a 10% increase per week as a maximum increase.  So run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard.... but only 10% more lots.

2011-09-02 3:27 AM
in reply to: #3670269

Subject: RE: 2 Weeks off work and keen.

Thanks for the advice NewClydesdale.

I'm currently doing a lot of drills from a DVD called "swimsmooth". They definitely seem to be helping. 

At the moment I'm running slicks on my mountain bike but this is an Off-road triathlon that i'll be entering, so i'll need to decide on the day before the race whether slicks or mountain bike tyres are a better idea.

So to give a better idea of my current training, it's

Mon Morning - Swim (about 1500 metres, drills being the focus

Mon Afternooon - Bike (1 hour indoor @ 75% MHR)

Tues morning - Run (7-8km of tempo intervals)

Tues arvo - Core strength training

Wed Morning - Swim (about 1500 metre straight

Wed Afternooon - Bike (1 hour indoor @ 75% MHR )

Thursday morning - Run (8km of VO2/speedwork session)

Thursday arvo - Core strength training

Friday morning - Swim(Drills focused)

Friday arvo - Bike (1 hour ride outdoors )

Saturday - Rest

Sunday - Long Run (last week was 1hour 40 minutes.)

How would you change that for the next two weeks given I have nothing but time?

Edited by bruxism 2011-09-02 3:28 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2 Weeks off work and keen. Rss Feed