Pacific sports
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 54m 17s
Overall Rank = 63/248
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 9/41
Pre-race routine:

set up T1, got marked, stood around 3 hours, watched elites swim and exit.
Event warmup:

Some weird strethy thingies someone recommended. dont't know if they helped at all. 20 minutes warming up in water.
Swim
  • 17m 21s
  • 766 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Multiple waves and a complicated current made 1st leg of swim difficult. Dolphining worked at first then the waves started knocking some of us back. Timing very important. Strong current to south made rounding 1st bouy real challenging. After 1st turn my sighting and swimming got much better. L shape course kind of a pain in ass as we started running into some of the olympic swimmers who had a different turn. The current and waves made heading toward shore go fast but early breakers made for a long trudge out of water. Dolphining and high stepping important for time but very fatiguing for me.
What would you do differently?:

Know the current and start wide to make rounding buoy easier. Not be so timid around other swimmers. better to swim wide rather than allow them to slow me down. Learn how to dolphin before race!
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Transition went okay. I had to pack the wetsuit into a bag so it could be delivered to finish so that cost everyone time. T1 good but not confident jumping onto bike while I'm still wobbly from swim.

Know exactly where bike is in relation from timing chute so I don't run past it again. don't rinse feet twice. No talking, focus.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 15s
  • 20 miles
  • 18.11 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was fun, well marked and challenging in that it was uphill mostly. I probably moved around too much on bike. I was happy in that I was able to maintain my goal pace and I caught a lot of people on course. At one point I ran into a bunch of olym[ic riders as our courses merged. I paced some of them so I could stop thinking about the lactic acid party in my legs. I forgot to take sportlegs before ride but I remebered no to push too hard in first few miles of ride even though I was feeling good at first.

put some sport legs on bike incase I forget to take them again. Work on steadier pace.
Transition 2
  • 04m 27s
Comments:

850' long (Picture running the length of a cruise ship with your bike)T2 area with my assigned spot in back. T2 size handicapped racers in later waves because it added 3-4 minutes just running down the area, but oh well. shoe change quick while standing. I tried to take advantage of the long run to chute to loosen up legs.

run barefoot with foreknowledge of rack being so far. I could've looked at T2 map and planned for it. The seconds geeting my shoes off wouldv'e been more than made up by a quicker pace over that distance.
Run
  • 24m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt like I was running wayyyy slower than I was. cool! Run was harsh. I never felt better towards end. The uphill hurt everybody I see by the times. Exit from t2 is 20% grade for about 200yards I had sense to walk it because I saw other runners working too hard to go up it but not going much faster than a walk. At crest of hill when i tried to run again my legs went from lead to jello. I was concerned but they got back to lead fast enough. Downhill at end I remembered to lift legs quickly like on hot coals and managed to go fast with pooping out. I misjudged distance to end and started "sprint" too early and had to back off before finsh, rats. Good learning expereince, though.

Have a plan on when to start sprint. There where no distance markers or volunteers.
Post race
Warm down:

beer garden, fruit, massage. Haven't I done enough today?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lactic acid on bike. Too slow getting up to good run pace.

Event comments:

Very organized, transportation provided for all back to hotel or beach. Massages were awesome, Nice goodies, too. Not enough drink stations, no bagles, not enough staff that could answer questions. It seems by looking at my times what kept me in top 10 was good transition times. My goal was top 10 yay!

Last updated: 2005-09-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:21 | 766 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 28/41
Overall: 238/248
Performance: Average
Suit: XTerra Vortex
Course: L shape. Kind of annoying woth the current and chop easy to go off course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:06:15 | 20 miles | 18.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/41
Overall: 64/248
Performance: Good
Wind: Little with gusts
Course: Gradual 800ft climb with 2 steeper hills over 20miles on city streets of Los Angeles through downtown in staples center. Roads kind rough with lots of pot holes and manholes (At least I seemed to find them all!). grade affected everyone and probably served to handicap some of the riders with disc wheels because there were very few age groupers with outstanding times on bike.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:34 | 03.11 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/41
Overall: 64/248
Performance: Good
according to standings my pace was 7:56 but whatever.
Course: all up hill with steep downhill and flats for last 1/2 mile. City streets. Without cars downtown smells like urine.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes