General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Training for my first tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-15 10:02 AM

New user

Subject: Training for my first tri
Hi All,

Training for my first Tri which is very daunting! I learnt to swim in May this year, learnt to ride a bike in August and my previous runs were from car to house!
This is a VERY new thing for me.
I run my first race tomorrow which is a 10k run and I am soooooooo nervous.
I have also registered to do a "tri a tri" next month to try and give me experience for a sprint Triathlon in February.

Any help, ideas, support.. will be very gratfully received.

Sarah

2005-09-15 10:19 AM
in reply to: #247235

Regular
Subject: RE: Training for my first tri
Hi Sarah!
Welcome to the club! I did my first tri last weekend. It was also a sprint also(.4mi/20mi/5k). When I first started training, I was so obsessed with not finishing last. Why? I don't know. Maybe it was a male ego thing. As the training progressed, I felt more comfortable with each discipline that ultimately, I could care less where I finished. In my wave of the swim, I finished 2nd to last and I was completely cool with that. I had such a blast during the whole race that I can't wait for the next one! So, when race day comes around, just have fun. You can only have one "first" so make the most of it. Enjoy the moment and soak it all in.

Danny
2005-09-15 10:23 AM

New user

Thanks Danny that is really sound advise, will do my best to enjoy every moment of it.

Thanks again

sarah
2005-09-19 12:31 AM

User image

Regular
Kirkland, WA
Hi Sarah... by now, you have already done your 10K - hopefully that went well! When traing for your try-a-tri and sprint early next year, just spend some good quality time at each of the three disciplines. You will be amazed at how solid you feel after a couple months of good training. You will feel fantastic when you finish the race, and will immediately set your sights to the next race ahead! Good luck
2005-09-19 1:14 PM

User image

Elite

Hi Sarah and Welcome!

I hope your 10k went well.  You'll soon find out how addicting triathlons are.  I've ran races, biked races and done other competitions and nothing compared to the fun factor of a triathlon, sprint or olympic distance. 

We'll look forward to your first race reports.

-Michael

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Training for my first tri Rss Feed