General Discussion Race Reports! » Title 9 Women Only Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Title 9 Women Only Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hopkinton, Massachusetts
United States
Max Performance
70sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 59m 26s
Overall Rank = 529/600
Age Group = Newbie 37 - 43
Age Group Rank = 94/98
Pre-race routine:

Picked up race packet the evening before; took care of race numbering after dinner; early dinner; quiet night with hubbie then to bed bed early; slept ok; woke up at 5:20 AM; ate a wheat bagel with peanut butter & hot tea; stomach was a little queasy because of nerves so I ate my banana in the car on the way
Event warmup:

the long walk with an uphill from the car to the transition area!
Swim
  • 16m 7s
  • 440 yards
  • 03m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

started in the pack this time instead of waiting for eeryone else to go; swam most of it sidestroke again because I kept swimming up on people freestyle; have to work on finding enough open water in th pack to swim more of the race freestyle; happy with the performance though because this is the first time I swam in the pack at the start; was tired at the end of the swim but got a big lift from my family who were all on the beach when I came out of the water
What would you do differently?:

swim more freestyle because I know I can; just need to get more confident being in the pack with my face in the water
Transition 1
  • 03m 48s
Comments:

Had a small problem with finding my zipper strap, but got my wetsuit off in the water easily once I got a hold of it; swim cap & goggles were off before I left the water too; ran to the transition area easily enough; felt light headed when I bent down for my socks and shoes, so I sat down for that; got the rest of my gear on easily; made myself drink some water & G2 before I left the transition area; came out of transition and my whole family was there again; my husband commented on my 'great swim'!

nothing, did the best I could with the light headed feeling
Bike
  • 1h 07m 18s
  • 10 miles
  • 8.92 mile/hr
Comments:

was making good progress until I got a rear flat at mile 4.75! Took out pump and began to pray, but it would not hold air; took a breath and got the rest of my tools because the tire is not quick release!; I could not loosen the bolts; called my husband in a panic for rescue so I could continue but a race tire tech pulled up just as he figured out where he needed to go to help me; there was a piece of glass in my tire :(; lost about 17 minutes to the repair; back brake rubbed the rest of the way on the bike leg, but I did not want to stop again so I rode anyway; my spirits were lifted by having the family spread out at the end of the bike run

Not get a rear flat tire!
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Smooth; took off bike gear, put on running hat, took a big drink and I was off; was cheered on by my family again and reminded to run my race by my husband (he knows me well and knew the lost time to the flat tire was bothering me)

nothing
Run
  • 31m 11s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

was inspired when I passed a 63 year old running when many other younger women were walking!; legs were tired, but I was able to hold a strong pace for me for the entire run; was very happy with my ability to stay under control despite my set back; great run! saw my Dad after the foot bridge; Mom, Toni, Elly and William at the end of the beach and my husband and our dog just prior to the finish line; Molly high-fived me at the end!

nothing, very happy with my run
Post race
Warm down:

collected gear & found my family; took the long way back to the car because Molly was so worked up around the other dogs; forgot to check the give-away board or to get the massage I was looking forward too; drove back to the campground instead so I could feed & visit with my Mom, Dad, sister, niece and nephew who drove over 2 hours to come cheer me on

Last updated: 2011-03-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:07 | 440 yards | 03m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/98
Overall: 484/600
Performance: Good
Suit: full leg & sleeved xterra
Course: point to point swim. tread water til the horn blew; started in waves; I was in the 7th out of 8 waves
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:48
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:07:18 | 10 miles | 8.92 mile/hr
Overall: 583/600
Actual moving time was just under 52 minutes; tracked in 2 mile lap incrments 10'51" first 2 miles; 9'14" second lap; 8'21" third lap; 10'13" fourth lap; 11'52" fifth lap average HR ranged from 152 to 162 per lap; max HR reached 177
Wind: None
Course: Course started with a good size hill; I took that hill hard so that I could pass several riders who were already struggling up the hill so I got up to speed faster than I anticipated; the course was rolling hills; was surprised by how many riders were walking the hills (both before and after my flat); it was challenging, but doable fro me
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:11 | 03.1 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Overall: 312/600
10'50" first mile 11' second mile 10' 21" second mile average HR ranged from 159 to 162 per mile max HR reached 174
Course: a few hills, including a fairly big one out of tranistion; tried to run my pace and not go out too hard because of the lost time on the bike leg; passed many runners because I was farther back in the pack the usual
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes