REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 58m 34s
Overall Rank = 4/8
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Same as always. Up at 5 am. big bowl of oatmeal. Two cups of coffee. Banana. Walked to transition with all of my bags, hydration, nutrition, etc.
Event warmup:

Worked up a sweat getting on my wetsuit. Does that count?
Swim
  • 1h 13m 59s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Did not warm up. Mistake. As I ran into the water, the murky, muddy, black ick that was the shore of Lake Erie this morning (it is not usually like this but some type of current had washed a primordial ooze onto the shore) and put my face in, I kind of panicked. Had trouble catching my breath, felt bad, got anxious. I kind of rolled over onto my back and caught my breath and then started again. Eventually I started to feel better and by 200 yards in I was doing well. Strange experience. Actually had a great swim for my skill level. Very happy with this.
What would you do differently?:

Get in the water, get my face wet, warm up.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers rule! My first experience with this. You lay down and in a second the wetsuit is gone. How cool is that? Rest of trainsition was great. No one to help me, no chairs but that was ok. I found a spot and got to work.

Be a faster swimmer:-)
Bike
  • 5h 41m 14s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.69 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok. This turned in to a long training day for me when I got the Kona lottery slot for October 8. I never had any intention of running the marathon to finish this. My coach still wanted me to do a long run this weekend so I did almost 19 miles at a fairly stout pace on Friday, two days before this race. Well, surprise, surprise, let me tell you that my legs did not feel great from the get go. I never felt like I could generate the power I wanted to and generally felt pretty lousy for the whole ride. Miles 60-90 really sucked for some reason. Even though I did not intend to run (at least not the full 26.2) I was trying to practice my pacing as if I were going to run off the bike.

Not run two days before I was going to try to ride 112 hard miles.
Transition 2
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

Although my race was over as soon as I got off the bike, I ran through and practiced my transition to the run (T2 was empty at this time so I did not use anyone's resources/volunteers. I had already decided that if there were others there that I would just stay out of the way). My transition was very fast and I felt great to be off of the bike.

Nothing. If I can be this fast in the future, I will be doing great.
Run
  • 00m
  • 26.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Ok. my race is over but my coach wanted me to run for 40 minutes off of the bike. I ran out of transition, on to the first part of the course with the other athletes, and then turned off of the course as soon as I could. I carried my own hydration and gels so I would not use anything I didn't pay for. There was some confusion from the volunteers as I exited the course but I got everything straightened out. Ran 1.5 loops around the "island" of cedar point.

Ran 5.25 miles in 40 minutes and felt great. This is my goal ironman marathon pace so I hope that with good fueling and an appropriate taper I can keep it together and runa good marathon on race day.

Really? I feel a sense of let down that I did not do the whole race. This was planned as an aquabike only and I did what was planned but I felt really good running and a big part of me wishes I could say today that I did the whole 140.6 distance. I guess that will just have to wait another month.....
Post race
Event comments:

Once again, Rev 3 is just a class act and puts on a great race. I sure don't mind giving them my money when they do things this well. If you have not done a Rev 3 event, you should do so! Thanks also to all of the volunteers. The guys in the change tent were awesome and the people on the course were great.

Last updated: 2011-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:13:59 | 4224 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/1
Overall: 0/8
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot full
Course: Two laps of a triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:20
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:41:14 | 112 miles | 19.69 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Average poser 157, Normalized power 166, cadence 87, average HR 136, approx 3,190 feet of elevation gained and lost
Wind: Some
Course: two loops for the full through rolling countryside. variable road surface. at least 20 miles of very rough chip seal. course was not closed to traffic and there were times that there was a little too much traffic, especially as you returned to cedar point.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 26.2 miles |  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-12 9:13 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev

2011-09-13 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3682076

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev

Great job!  I did the half AB and it sure was weird to not run afterwards!  I did run through the finish though!  For the money I spent, it was necessary!

I like REV3 too...they do a lot right.  I totally agree on the traffic too...although there wasn't much they could do about it with the course change so close to the race.  And that muck on the beach!  I was in the final wave and it was just gross! The water wasn't clear till the second buoy at least!  LOL. 

Good luck at the Big Show next month!  What a great experience you'll have!  Soak it all in!!!

2011-09-13 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3682076

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev
Heck yeah! What a great tuneup for the big dance in a month, you have to be feeling super confident about your first Ironman after this performance. Also glad to hear more positive responses to Rev3 races. Looking forward to seeing how much tail you kick at Kona.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Cedar Point - Full Rev Rss Feed