General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sufferfest training questions.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-14 7:01 AM

User image

Subject: Sufferfest training questions....

Just got a trainer about a week ago...already tried the Spinnervals and just downloaded my first Sufferfest video..Downboard spiral! Now I want to get the most out of my workout because I am a extreme beginner to cycling. I got a nice bike computer that has cadence, speed, and HR monitor. What I' trying to figure out is where I should be during the workout. They rate the effort from a scale of 1-10. Should you basically be staying in the same  gearing just adjusting your Cadence? Sometimes it tells you be in the low 80's rpms if your a newbie (which i am) but the low 80's can be alot different depending on gearing. Should I just be looking at HR? My cardio is pretty good I need more work on leg endurance and I know they say for triathletes keep the cadence up (go in an easier gear) so you dont completely wear out your legs. Any help is much appreciated...my workouts now are good...the videos kick your butt but I want to track my progress and make sure I'm not going to easy...Thanks again

2011-09-14 7:14 AM
in reply to: #3685565

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Sufferfest training questions....
You should change gears to keep a constant cadence (or what ever cadence they mention on the video). Cadence is a very personal thing (some will have a very low cadence and be efficient and fast riding like that, think Chrissie Wellington for example, others are very efficient riding at a much higher cadence, Lance Armstrong for example). You should try to be in the range of 85-95 rpm, but you can experiment with higher cadence as well. Personally, I've found that a cadence around 100 allows for a decent bike split and a very good run (don't only look how fast you can bike at a given cadence, but also how you run afterwards... it's obviously much easier to set a fast bike time if you don't have to run afterwards, where you could lose as much as you gained on the bike...)

The scale 1-10 is a perceived effort scale, and if you go on the Spinerval website you will find what those numbers should mean (and I also think that's on the video).
2011-09-14 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3685565

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, Wa
Subject: RE: Sufferfest training questions....
It's all about how hard it feels. They explain at the beginning of the videos what the numbers mean. As far as considering running off the bike... Forget about that on the trainer. If you always worry about saving something for a run that you aren't going to do that day anyway you'll never bike hard enough to break through those plateus. A good sufferfest video is fight club. It has longer rpe 7 type efforts. I would equate an 8 to about what I could handle for 1 hour and be completely spent at the end of it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sufferfest training questions.... Rss Feed