General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-09-05 8:16 AM
in reply to: #4395827

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
tuwood - 2012-09-05 8:12 AM

So I read through the athlete guide and I'm a little confused about the transition logistics.

For T1, I'm supposed to put all of my stuff (helmet, shoes, etc..) in my Bike Gear bag, but where is my bike gear bag at?  Does it hang on my bike, do I give it to somebody and wait for them to find it in transition.
I typically have my shoes clipped to my pedals and run barefoot, but it doesn't look like they allow that.  Do I put my shoes on and waddle in my shoes or run barefoot carrying them and get run over at the mount line trying to put them on? 

Same question with T2.  Do I put my shoes and goodies in a bag and grab it from somebody or is it set up on a chair somewhere?

I'm sure this all gets explained in the meeting, but I'm just trying to understand it ahead of time.

On Saturday you wil drop off your T1 and T2 bags in two different rooms in Monona Terrace. On Sunday morning you will go into that room and grab your bag and run into the changing area.  You cannot leave your shoes on the pedals so they need to be in the T1 bag along with your helmet and whatever else you need.  Same story for T2.  Later that night you can pick both of those bags up with your bike.

2012-09-05 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4394707

User image

Veteran
Indiana
kevin_trapp - 2012-09-04 1:16 PM

rubeone - 2012-09-04 11:55 AM

Does anyone know if they normally run out of the finisher's jackets?  I'd love to get one.

BTW, those are great shirts!!! and I'll meet wherever we decided.  Down by the water makes sense to me.  IIRC from last year, there is an entry point by the east helix (I didn't see the swim, I was volunteering on the bike course).

I can tell you two years ago men's medium jackets sold out quick.  They must have been short in general because in November they had a one-time online order for the jackets only.  Even then I don't think I ever got a men's medium.  Zipper's on the wrong side.  But I still wear my ladies jacket with pride.

If you want a jacket in your size, you need to get up on Monday morning and stand in line - most races they are sold out of most sizes within the first hour or so. Also, know that there will be people standing in line at 5 am waiting for the store to open. if you show up at 7, you will be behind 800+ people already standing in line and they only let 25 or so into the store at a time. Last year we got there around 5:45 and were probably a couple hundred people back. I wont say that the frenzy for a finishers jacket on Monday morning is as bad as the swim start, but its probably pretty close..... (Just kidding, its really not THAT bad - most people are polite and courteous).

as for the zipper, I think they are all like that - mine is def a mens large, and the zipper is on the wrong side.....
2012-09-05 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4395844

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Thanks for that info about the store.   I always wondered why there was nothing left when I got there at 10.

Edited by daviddclough 2012-09-05 8:28 AM
2012-09-05 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3693947

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI

Question about wetsuits.

When we come out of the swim and head to T1 with our wetsuit.  What do we/they do with it?  I guess what I really want to know is this.  What condition will the wetsuit be in?  Will we/they hang it up to dry near or will they be folded and soaking wet when we get them back at the end of the day?  Should I bring a hanger for the hotel room?

Also, Thanks for the info about the IM store KMWilliams.

2012-09-05 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4395668

mighty mom - 2012-09-05 5:32 AM
Daffodil - 2012-09-05 6:28 AM

mighty mom - 2012-09-05 6:12 AM Another ?, for those who are traveling by plane, are you bringing your own pump?  Do they let those on the plane?  or for locals/seasoned IMWIers, how bad is the line to get them pumped by bike service and where are they located? 

you shouldn't have a problem to bring a pump on the plane, but you won't be able to take CO2 cartridges on the plane.  Can't speak for Wisconsin, but at Florida on race morning it was only about a 5 minute line up to get my tires filled.  This is my plan for this year.  Despite driving to Wisconsin, I'm not bringing a pump with me.

Will you be online in Madison?  I can PM you a location to meet on Friday once I have seen the place.

Yeah, I really don't want to bring one.  But I also don't want to be sitting in line for 30 minutes.  

I will.  Sounds like a plan. 

Line was long for filling up tires the first time I raced.  Glad I brought my own.  Just one less thing to worry about and less time you have to take messing with things.  Best to get everything set up as soon/early as possible so you can relax in a quiet part of the Terrace.  Bring one if you can (you'll make friends that way too).

2012-09-05 8:43 AM
in reply to: #4395867

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
rubeone - 2012-09-05 8:29 AM

Question about wetsuits.

When we come out of the swim and head to T1 with our wetsuit.  What do we/they do with it?  I guess what I really want to know is this.  What condition will the wetsuit be in?  Will we/they hang it up to dry near or will they be folded and soaking wet when we get them back at the end of the day?  Should I bring a hanger for the hotel room?

The strippers are waiting before your run up the helix.  You then have to carry your wetsuit with you up to the changing room and you'll leave it in your T1 bag after you get your biking gear out. Same thing with your all your biking gear in T2, shove it all in the T2 bag after you're changed and leave it behind.  Volunteers gather the bags after you run out.

2012-09-05 8:45 AM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI

So, I'll definitely want a hanger because it will be wet and in a bag...

Thanks, good to know!

2012-09-05 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4395867

Question about wetsuits.

You (or a volunteer in the changing room) will put your wetsuit in your Swim/Bike transition bag along with the rest if your swimming stuff (and any bike food/stuff you don't want to on bringing for the ride).  I take mine home after the race (back to the west side of Madison) and rinse and hang it up in my tub.  Bring a hanger for the hotel room and rinse/hang it up there.

2012-09-05 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4395901

kevin_trapp - 2012-09-05 8:43 AM

Question about wetsuits.

The strippers are waiting before your run up the helix.  You then have to carry your wetsuit with you up to the changing room and you'll leave it in your T1 bag after you get your biking gear out. Same thing with your all your biking gear in T2, shove it all in the T2 bag after you're changed and leave it behind.  Volunteers gather the bags after you run out.

*** Expert Tip ***

Drape your wetsuit over both shoulders and behind your head, rather than over one shoulder.  Much easier to run and it stays in place, rather than having to adjust it when it keeps falling off one shoulder.

2012-09-05 8:50 AM

So I read through the athlete guide and I'm a little confused about the transition logistics.

For T1, I'm supposed to put all of my stuff (helmet, shoes, etc..) in my Bike Gear bag, but where is my bike gear bag at?  Does it hang on my bike, do I give it to somebody and wait for them to find it in transition.
I typically have my shoes clipped to my pedals and run barefoot, but it doesn't look like they allow that.  Do I put my shoes on and waddle in my shoes or run barefoot carrying them and get run over at the mount line trying to put them on? 

Same question with T2.  Do I put my shoes and goodies in a bag and grab it from somebody or is it set up on a chair somewhere?

I'm sure this all gets explained in the meeting, but I'm just trying to understand it ahead of time.

*** Expert Tip ***

Run in bare feet rather than shoes.  Much less slippery and faster without them.  If your bike is one of the first ones when you get out, grab your bike and leave your shoes off until just before you mount your bike.  There will be space to put your shoes on out the the way of people before your mount your trusty steed.

2012-09-05 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Actually, I don't remember these type of questions getting explained in the meeting.  All I remember them talking about was course conditions, last minute changes (2010 eliminated the hill on Observatory), and rules/penalties.  A lot of it becomes obvious while you're walking around and seeing where everything is the days before, and there's volunteers everywhere to keep you going in the right direction.

As for running with or without bike shoes, people will be doing both.  Just keep in mind it's a long run entirely on concrete from the changing room to the mount line. 

2012-09-05 9:15 AM
in reply to: #4395925

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
pnelson - 2012-09-05 8:50 AM

*** Expert Tip ***

Run in bare feet rather than shoes.  Much less slippery and faster without them.  If your bike is one of the first ones when you get out, grab your bike and leave your shoes off until just before you mount your bike.  There will be space to put your shoes on out the the way of people before your mount your trusty steed.

Here's one for you....socks or sock-less while running from change room to your bike?  I'm still debating the pros and cons of each.  Love to hear what others do.

2012-09-05 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4395969

sbsmann - 2012-09-05 9:15 AM

*** Expert Tip ***

Here's one for you....socks or sock-less while running from change room to your bike?  I'm still debating the pros and cons of each.  Love to hear what others do.

I usually run socked, and wipe off my socks before I put my shoes on.  I haven't had a problem before.  The concrete is usually very clean with no pebbles or debris.  They might sweep it prior to the race, but not sure.

2012-09-05 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4395568

User image

Veteran
I have some spare michelin latex tubes at home I could sell/give you. Shoot me a message at regan (at) countyofdane (dot) com if you are still in need.

If anyone else racing needs anything at all please don't hesitate to contact me. I live just outside Madison, work near downtown, and have most everything one might need in an emergency situation just before the big day.

Best of luck out there.

robert

tuwood - 2012-09-04 10:46 PM

question

Do any of you locals know if there are any bike shops that stock Latex tubes?  (700x23)  Or does anyone have a spare I could buy?

I had two in my race tires that I had to order online because none of our LBS's in Omaha cary latex.  So, as luck would have it as I'm going over my tires tonight in my pre-race check I noticed a slit on one of the tires that looks like it had something in it.  I used the tweezers and next thing you know air is rushing out.  grr, I just popped my latex tube.

I'm going to replace the tire and I've got plenty of spare regular tubes, but I would much rather run latex.  I knew I should have ordered some spare latex tubes.  /facepalm

2012-09-05 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4395969

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
sbsmann - 2012-09-05 10:15 AM

*** Expert Tip ***

I would let this be determined by how you prefer to ride rather than by how you want to get through T1.  Unless you have extremely sensitive feet, running barefoot through T1 should not be a problem.

2012-09-05 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4395568

User image

Veteran
Sun Prairie-ish, WI
tuwood - 2012-09-04 10:46 PM

question

Do any of you locals know if there are any bike shops that stock Latex tubes?  (700x23)  Or does anyone have a spare I could buy?

I had two in my race tires that I had to order online because none of our LBS's in Omaha cary latex.  So, as luck would have it as I'm going over my tires tonight in my pre-race check I noticed a slit on one of the tires that looks like it had something in it.  I used the tweezers and next thing you know air is rushing out.  grr, I just popped my latex tube.

I'm going to replace the tire and I've got plenty of spare regular tubes, but I would much rather run latex.  I knew I should have ordered some spare latex tubes.  /facepalm

I know the trek stores east and west do.  I'm not sure of the bike stores right downtown.  My guess is that they would. 

2012-09-05 10:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Sun Prairie-ish, WI
I have what might be a dumb question.  We are allowed to put our water bottles on our bikes race morning correct?  What about leaving our race belt on our bike?
2012-09-05 10:45 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
You have access to your bike up to 6:30.  But no equipment is supposed to be left on your bike, so the race belt needs to go in your bag. 
2012-09-05 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4396226

User image

Milwaukee, WI

kevin_trapp - 2012-09-05 10:45 AM You have access to your bike up to 6:30.  But no equipment is supposed to be left on your bike, so the race belt needs to go in your bag. 

I rented a GPS tracker two years ago and I'm pretty sure that I left it on my race belt on my bike. The vendor recommended turning it on before leaving for the swim so that it was ready to go when I left on the bike. I don't think it was an issue. At least I hope not, as I'm planning on doing the same on Sunday.

2012-09-05 11:57 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Just a general dumb question (I have many more, so stay tuned).  Is the whole purpose of the bike gear bag to prevent 2700 people from spreading their stuff all over transition?  (aka, keeping transition cleaner for more bikes)
2012-09-05 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4396375

tuwood - 2012-09-05 11:57 AM Just a general dumb question (I have many more, so stay tuned).  Is the whole purpose of the bike gear bag to prevent 2700 people from spreading their stuff all over transition?  (aka, keeping transition cleaner for more bikes)

Yes.  Everything stays together in the transition room so that when you grab your bag and take it into the changing room, you don't drop everything everywhere.  If everything was at the bike transition, the area needed for bikes would need to be doubled or tripled.  This way, the racks are more compact, the transition bags are in rows next to each other, and you can change inside.  Also, compact changing areas and transition areas make it easier for volunteers to help.  A smaller area means they need less volunteers too.  (By the way, there will be 4,000 volunteers and 3,000 racers.)

2012-09-05 12:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
tuwood - 2012-09-05 11:57 AM

Just a general dumb question (I have many more, so stay tuned).  Is the whole purpose of the bike gear bag to prevent 2700 people from spreading their stuff all over transition?  (aka, keeping transition cleaner for more bikes)

T1 is inside and in a totally seperate area from where the bikes are racked, they then take your bags and are able to organize them so on monday you can go in and grab all your stuff it is a pretty smooth considering they are taking care of all 2700+ peoples things x 4 or5 bags
2012-09-05 12:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
(By the way, there will be 4,000 volunteers and 3,000 racers.)
they had joked last year that each racer could get thier own personal volunteer for the day how amazing is this that so many people come to help!!!!!
2012-09-05 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

tuwood - 2012-09-05 11:57 AM Just a general dumb question (I have many more, so stay tuned).  Is the whole purpose of the bike gear bag to prevent 2700 people from spreading their stuff all over transition?  (aka, keeping transition cleaner for more bikes)

Some pictures might help.  In transition and at special needs, volunteers will be yelling out your number as you come in.  If you're lucky, a volunteer will have already grabbed your bag and will hand it to you as you run through, they'll unrack your bike and have it waiting for you at the end of the rack (one reason to not leave your race belt on your bike I guess), and they'll be holding open your special needs bag as you pull up.  Of course, if you're 10 seconds behind someone with a bib number close to yours, you might be on your own. 

There's only about a half dozen rows of bags, so it's not too hard to remember which one you are in.  But finding your bike can be harder since the transition is long.  This picture shows less than half of the racks.  Instead of counting racks, I figured it was easier to remember which corner of which building my rack was perpendicular to. 

(transition.jpg)

(bikes.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
transition.jpg (45KB - 8 downloads)
bikes.JPG (45KB - 5 downloads)
2012-09-05 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4396335

User image

Veteran
Sun Prairie-ish, WI
wibadger - 2012-09-05 11:37 AM

kevin_trapp - 2012-09-05 10:45 AM You have access to your bike up to 6:30.  But no equipment is supposed to be left on your bike, so the race belt needs to go in your bag. 

I rented a GPS tracker two years ago and I'm pretty sure that I left it on my race belt on my bike. The vendor recommended turning it on before leaving for the swim so that it was ready to go when I left on the bike. I don't think it was an issue. At least I hope not, as I'm planning on doing the same on Sunday.

thats what i was planning too.  I got my tracker yesterday.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 45