General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Maintaining Run Endurance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-23 5:42 PM

SANTA MONICA
Subject: Maintaining Run Endurance
Ok, you will all think I'm crazy but- I'm planning La Marathon March 18, IMKS 70.3 June 10 and Vineman July 28th. I did 2 LA Marathons, 1 LA Triathlon, 1 HIM, 2 IM attempts (missing bike cut-off and heat exhaustion were the downfalls in that order) before I was hit by a car while biking. It took 5 screws and a plate to repair my talus bone and I learned to walk again. Since my accident I have done 1 5k, 1 Half-Marathon and 1 marathon attempt. However, my last anything was in March of 2011. So I'm basically starting from scratch.

I have decided to train WITH PEOPLE- Yeees a new thing for me. I am normally the lone person on the road- my friends keep checking for the pod I stuffed their friend in! I thought it might be a helpful, new and different experience. It makes me nervous but I'm following through. I was planning on using a SuperCoach Network Orientation, Pre-Season, Competitive Season thru Taper Period for my training plan- may possibly switch to the Beginner Triathlete IM 20wk plan later- still working that out- anyway to make a long story longer-

I am training w/ LA Roadrunners for LA Marathon- my question is this: how do I keep my run training solid from after the marathon on 3/18/12 to the HIM 6/10/12 and again until the IM 7/28/2012????

2011-09-24 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3698438

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: Maintaining Run Endurance
I'm not sure what your concern is about keeping your running base after your marathon.  By building to the marathon, you'll already know how to build to that distance.  After the mary, you'll probably need to give your running legs some time to recover, but you should have built up and retained most of your base going into your HIM training.  You could back off a little bit on the run training for your HIM so that you can focus more on your swim and bike.  Your HIM is about 7 weeks out from your IM, you'll probably be using the HIM as a long training day that is really geared as part of your training for your IM (rather than going all out to race your HIM and needing a couple weeks to recover).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Maintaining Run Endurance Rss Feed