User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Verizon Smart Phones
ChrisM - 2011-09-28 12:06 PM
tuwood - 2011-09-28 8:22 AM
trirific10 - 2011-09-28 9:22 AM
crimefighter2 - 2011-09-27 12:09 PM

Which phone (or phones) is it that have the ability to be a "hot spot"?  I recently won an Ipad2 (WiFi only - no 3G) - but no wireless internet at home.  Looking at the most cost effective way to make this not be an expensive paperweight.  The Verizon MiFi is $50 per month, and there is a $35 activation fee.  I have the 1st Gen. Droid currently.

Thank you in advance

Well most places you take the Ipad to (work,airports,alot of restaurants, libraries etc.) have free wifi. I would suggest you get wifi at home..its sure cheaper than $50 a month. I have a friend that bought an Ipad and will buy a bundle data pkg (not sure what that consists of) that she uses when she is on trips in case she is at a place that doesnt have free wifi. (I think it costs $30per bundle) she doesnt have a plan per say... Just buys it when she needs it.

On my droid bionic the "hotspot" feature is $30/mo. over and above my data charge and everything else.  Fortunately I'm grandfathered in and get unlimited data for the $30.

Other than the price the 4G hotspot is unfreeking believable fast.  You could seriously use it for your home internet broadband and cancel your home internet if you wanted it.  It's that good.

So if you're grandfathered in you don't pay the $30 for the hotspot, just the $30 for unlimited?

And for someone who doesn't know much... having it as a hotspot is the same as having say wi-fi in your house? 

No, the grandfather'd thing is just for unlimited data on both.  

I had an unlimited data plan on my old Droid ($30 or whatever it was).  So on the new phone they allowed me to stay unlimited for the $30 and because I was grandfathered.  Apparently the new people switching to verizon only get 3G/mo. for $30.  Then I added the wifi hotspot feature which was an additional $30 and it is also unlimited because I was grandfathered.  New people switching to Verizon only get 3G/mo. on the hotspot as well.

So, I'm paying an additional $30/mo over my old phone bill for the hotspot feature and it is unlimited.

Hotspot = your phone acting as a wireless router providing internet to 4 or 5 (can't remember the limit) wireless computers that are within range.  So, yes having it as a hotspot is the same as having wifi in your house.

2011-09-29 7:29 AM
in reply to: #3704231

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
tuwood - 2011-09-28 6:20 PM

Which phone (or phones) is it that have the ability to be a "hot spot"?  I recently won an Ipad2 (WiFi only - no 3G) - but no wireless internet at home.  Looking at the most cost effective way to make this not be an expensive paperweight.  The Verizon MiFi is $50 per month, and there is a $35 activation fee.  I have the 1st Gen. Droid currently.

Thank you in advance

Well most places you take the Ipad to (work,airports,alot of restaurants, libraries etc.) have free wifi. I would suggest you get wifi at home..its sure cheaper than $50 a month. I have a friend that bought an Ipad and will buy a bundle data pkg (not sure what that consists of) that she uses when she is on trips in case she is at a place that doesnt have free wifi. (I think it costs $30per bundle) she doesnt have a plan per say... Just buys it when she needs it.

On my droid bionic the "hotspot" feature is $30/mo. over and above my data charge and everything else.  Fortunately I'm grandfathered in and get unlimited data for the $30.

Other than the price the 4G hotspot is unfreeking believable fast.  You could seriously use it for your home internet broadband and cancel your home internet if you wanted it.  It's that good.

So if you're grandfathered in you don't pay the $30 for the hotspot, just the $30 for unlimited?

And for someone who doesn't know much... having it as a hotspot is the same as having say wi-fi in your house? 

I had an unlimited data plan on my old Droid ($30 or whatever it was).  So on the new phone they allowed me to stay unlimited for the $30 and because I was grandfathered.  Apparently the new people switching to verizon only get 3G/mo. for $30.  Then I added the wifi hotspot feature which was an additional $30 and it is also unlimited because I was grandfathered.  New people switching to Verizon only get 3G/mo. on the hotspot as well.

So, I'm paying an additional $30/mo over my old phone bill for the hotspot feature and it is unlimited.

Hotspot = your phone acting as a wireless router providing internet to 4 or 5 (can't remember the limit) wireless computers that are within range.  So, yes having it as a hotspot is the same as having wifi in your house.

What  kind of phone is your new phone a Droid Bionic also?..Cause I would love to ditch the internet service at home if this really works that well..

2011-09-29 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3704675

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID

trirific10, careful when dropping home internet for cell. Remember most companies now have data caps or speed caps if you use too much. Make sure you look into that before relying on that.

2011-09-29 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3704675

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
trirific10 - 2011-09-29 7:29 AM
tuwood - 2011-09-28 6:20 PM

Thank you in advance

What  kind of phone is your new phone a Droid Bionic also?..Cause I would love to ditch the internet service at home if this really works that well..

Yeah, mines a droid Bionic.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Verizon Smart Phones Rss Feed  

of 2