Ironman North America
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 47m 32s
Overall Rank = 821/2100
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 94/186
Pre-race routine:

The number one goal is to finish. Time was to be considered somewhat, but I wanted to finish first. After finishing was seemingly assured, then I would worry about time. I wanted to go easy but steady on each event. Run three solid events, not a solid swim and and bike and then a poor run, but a solid race from start to finish.

My motto was, “Plan your race, race your plan.”

I arrived in Madison Thursday and registered. Took it easy but was already feeling the buzz from Ironman presence.

Took it very easy in the days prior. I did all the promotional fun stuff that I wanted to do, such as getting my swim video taped and the Gatorade swim. I really enjoyed the Gatorade swim; it was a lot of fun just being around the scene a few days before the race.

Other than those things I tried to stay away from people. Triathletes tend to be a particular group of people. They remind me of my grandfather and his friends who recount war stories. I wanted all weekend to stay calm, not worry about the race. It was going to be hot, yes, but there is nothing I can do to control the weather, so let’s not worry about it. I cannot control the hills on the course, so let’s not worry about it.

So outside of meandering a bit around Ironman Village I stayed out of the Monona Terrace area as much as possible.

Race Morning:

I went to bed at 9:30 Saturday night and called the front desk for a 2 AM wake up call. At 2 AM I woke up and went to Dennys and had some oatmeal, toast, and some eggs. (Let me just say that there are some very interesting folk at Denny's at 2:15 AM on a Saturday night/Sunday morning). Got back to the hotel about 3 AM and went back to bed. Got up at 4:45 then packed final stuff and got down to Monona Terrace. This routine worked well. My stomach was well fed, but more importantly settled. I didn’t have the nervous “gotta poop” feeling that was clearly common among everyone.

Event warmup:

Nothing...it's a freaking Ironman, I figured 2.4 mile swim was warmup enough!
Swim
  • 1h 19m 23s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was literally one of the last 10 people in the water. This was by design. I could stand on the waters edge and not waste energy treading water. When the swim started I just took my time and really focused on being relaxed and have excellent technique. The swim was uneventful except for the occasional running into someone or clogging at the corners.
What would you do differently?:

Position better, I passed so many people and spent the whole race navigating people who seeded poorly
Transition 1
  • 14m 20s
Comments:

With so many people saying they want to simply finish the race as their goal, why the heck to so many people run through the transitions? Especially at Ironman Wisconsin where you have to run uphill (helix)? I don’t get it. I was the only one I saw walking. Maybe others behind me were walking but I saw no one ahead of me walking the transition.

Nada....I raced just like I planned. I could've ran but why?
Bike
  • 6h 29m 59s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.23 mile/hr
Comments:

I was set on biking slowly the first 2 hours, and I did. In fact the third hour I didn’t let myself push much harder because of the heat. I modified my nutrition to simply take in more water. Bike was fun for the most part. I’m 200 pounds so I don’t typically climb well. For some reason or another I was passing people up hills. I was working hard, but not too hard. I never stood on a hill, I always remained seated, and I was passing people who were grinding so hard they could barely breathe. The last 5-10 miles were cool. They were with the wind and I could smell the corral. It was a great feeling knowing I was almost home. I had always told myself I knew if I got to T2 I would finish the race, because I could walk the marathon if needed (see race goal #1).

Nothing....again, here I did well. I could've pushed harder, but why?
Transition 2
  • 09m 3s
Comments:

Took my time here again. Changed clothes, made sure I was ready to go and off I went.

Nothing....
Run
  • 5h 34m 50s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Saw my wife at the start and that was fun. I stopped gave her a kiss and I was on my way. Feeling very good in the legs. The run was very good. I played games with myself. Run for five minutes walk one. During the walk breaks I would drink some of my water or Infinit that was in my fuel belt. Once I was on my way I ran really well actually, just not “fast” but again, this race is about being steady and not slowing down, so I comforted myself with knowing a good run would be simply running evening (not fast, then walking a ton). As the run went on I made the turn at about 10:55 (elapsed time). I wanted to break 14 hours. I figured I could do it if I simply averaged about 4 MPH. The second loop was up and down, sometimes feeling good and moving well, other times I wanted to walk. In the end I finished well. I was very pleased with myself. Didn’t have any knee pain or ITB problems or anything like that. Cramping was nearly non-existent. When my calves started to twitch I tweaked running form and got some food in me. I never stopped. I didn’t want to. I figure that if you stop (to drink, to eat, to stretch) the finish line is moving no closer. If I wasn’t running, I was walking as fast as I could, always reeling in the finish line.

I'd like to run more. I need to hydrate better. I just was always thirsty.
Post race
Warm down:

Went for a walk...sat down to talk to friends/family. Passed out...spend the rest of the Warmdown in the med tent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

MY BODY.

Event comments:

Awesome race. Tough course exacerbatted by conditions.

Last updated: 2005-09-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:19:23 | 4224 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 139/186
Overall: 1241/2100
Performance: Good
Average heart rate was 138, which was very good.
Suit: QR Sleeveless
Course: Two loop rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 14:20
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:29:59 | 112 miles | 17.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 90/186
Overall: 728/2100
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Hilly.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 09:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:34:50 | 26.2 miles | 12m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 99/186
Overall: 924/2100
Performance: Average
Course: Two loop course, 1 large hill on that loop.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-09-19 1:30 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2005-09-19 3:23 PM
in reply to: #249439

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
Congratulations Ironman!

Passed out?  What happened?
2005-09-20 9:40 AM
in reply to: #249576

User image

Apparently low electorlytes. I only lost 4 pounds all day which isn't much (guys in the med tent near me lost 15 and 22 pounds each).

It was odd too because it was nearly 20 minutes after I finished.

Here's the breakdown:

Cross finish line.
Get medal and finisher goodie bag
Get picture taken
Walk myself over to med tent and voluntarily weigh myself to see how much refueling I needed.
Walk out of finish area meet my wife and go for a 10 minute cool down walk.
Grab some food and eat a bit
Meet up with friends and parents

As I'm sitting now (this is the first time I've sat since the end of the race) I get weird vision and start feeling funky, then I'm out. I think it had to do with the sitting and blood leaving my head to go to my legs or something.
2005-09-20 12:16 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Great job in the Ironman!  Sounds like you stuck to your plan throughout the race.  Congrats on coming in under 14 hrs!
2005-09-21 11:27 AM

User image

New user

Ames, IA
Congratulations!!! I loved your race plan, and look how it worked out for you -- perfect! I know guys that went out too hard and had a looong, long evening trying to finish. Or not finishing at all. That has put a little fear in me (I signed up for '06), but more importantly it's hammered home the fact that you have to take your time with this damn thing. Reading race reports like yours only emphasizes that for me.

I'm glad to hear that you are ok as well. Passing out is not fun. Best wishes,

mm
2005-09-21 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL
Really enjoyed your report!  Congrats Ironman!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed