General Discussion Race Reports! » Made To Tri – Huntington Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Made To Tri – Huntington Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Northport, New York
United States
Vicobe Productions
Total Time = 1h 17m 16s
Overall Rank = 120/
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 17/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30. Had a good night's sleep after falling asleep at 10:30. Got ready, made a PB&J sandwich to eat on the way to the race, got the car packed, loaded up my bike and headed to the race site. Easy drive and plenty of close parking.
Event warmup:

Got my transition area set, used the facilities, hung out by the water and waited for the start. I was in the last wave so I had a few extra minutes to get myself set up.
Swim
  • 12m 18s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very happy with my swim performance. I've always been a 2 minutes per 100 yards swimmer, regardless of distance, so it was nice to have a swim where I pushed myself the whole way and really improved my results. I've been swimming with a masters group for almost a year now and any improvement is directly related to that fact. I seeded myself toward the front and lined up straight to the turn buoy and I think that allowed me to go all out unimpeded right from the start.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I'll just keep practicing with the masters group this year and look for steady improvement.
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

Good transition. No holdups. Wetsuit off, cycling shoes, helmet and sunglasses on, and I was off. No socks for a sprint.

Nothing. I've thought about clipping my shoes to the bike but until I'm close to a podium spot (probably never going to happen), the time I save isn't worth the effort it would take to learn how to do that properly or safely.
Bike
  • 32m 37s
  • 9.8 miles
  • 18.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Good bike ride. Lots of ups and downs with sweeping turns at the bottoms. I was in the last wave so there was some congestion at the start but things thinned out pretty soon. Most of my training for this race was on the Computrainer, in erg mode, with short hard intervals and they really paid off in this race since it was basically a series of short hard efforts followed by recoveries on the downhills and tempo riding on the occasional flats. A nice course with plenty of markings and turn signs.

I decided not to go with the disc cover in the back and trispoke in the front. I figured it wasn't worth the effort to put the disc cover together for a race that would take about 30 minutes (the time it takes to assemble the disc cover). In retrospect, I probably should have raced with the best equipment I have. Then again, I probably would have only saved a minute at most (not enough to even move up one spot in my age group). Maybe next time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Another good transition. Bike shoes and helmet off, running shoes and Garmin on, and I was off.

Maybe next time I'll try a flying dismount but probably not since the 3 seconds I would save probably won't make a difference.
Run
  • 28m 12s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 08m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

Probably the best run I've ever had in a triathlon. I felt good the whole time and really tried to push myself, figuring that if I go faster it will be over quicker. I got passed by a few people but not too many. One person was passing me and then stopping and walking as soon as they passed me. Not a problem except that she stopped right in front of me each time causing me to have to run around her. After the third or fourth time I decided to not let her pass again and pushed myself every time she caught up to me. It worked as great motivation and pushed me harder than I would have pushed myself (and probably helped her too). At about the three mile mark she broke past me and finished a few seconds ahead of me but for over two miles she kept me at an 8 minute per mile pace.

Maybe worn socks. I got a big blister on my left instep. Still though it was worth it.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down on the benches by the beach, grabbed some food, packed up my stuff in transition and, when they allowed bikes to be removed, put everything in my car. Then I checked the finishing times, chatted with a couple of people, relaxed and waited for the OK to leave (once the roads were opened).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Physical fitness and body mass.

Event comments:

An excellent race, especially for the inaugural event. Everything was well organized, started on time, and thought out. The course was very nice, the post race food was good, and there was plenty of water and drinks available (I'll never understand why it is so hard to get something to drink after some other races on Long Island). The race had a really local feel to it (e.g., the ham and cheese sandwiches at the finish were very tasty) but was still professionally organized and run. A great way to finish my race season and the summer.

Last updated: 2011-05-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:18 | 820 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/
Overall: 73/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:28
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:32:37 | 9.8 miles | 18.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:12 | 03.3 miles | 08m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-27 12:32 PM

User image

Subject: Made To Tri – Huntington Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Made To Tri – Huntington Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed