General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration Pack suggestions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-29 4:51 PM

Expert
Golden, CO
Subject: Hydration Pack suggestions
Hello All - I am looking for a hydration pack for my long runs.  I have camelbaks for biking but they seem a little heavy and are really not made for running.  I have seen a number of people wearing Nathans and saw the NAthan Endurance online. I tried a different model of NAthan on which seemed to have good support but just did not seem to fit right.  I am 6'1" an broad shouldered so I am guessing the one size fits all doesn't mean fits all correctly.

Any thoughts? Go Lite? NAthan Endurance? Other styles of Camelbak?  I will be using in my training for 1/2 Ironman and full and possibly even racing.  I have hydration issues so even with the ton of water stops on the bike and run course I would be safer to carry more water.  The fuel belts just do not have enough in them.   Thanks for any input.

2011-09-30 4:14 PM
in reply to: #3705706

User image

Victoria, British Columbia
Subject: RE: Hydration Pack suggestions

I love my Nathan...It is the HPL 20.  My longest run with it is 25km on trail and it performed wonderfully.  The Nathan suspension (from what I gather) is different than camel back in that the straps move independently and give you the feeling like nothing is on your back.  I have never chaffed with it either, which is good!!!

DH uses a Camelback and races longer than me (50 milers +) and has loved it BUT is now starting to covet mine?!  For what that's worth.

The Nathan site http://www.nathansports.com/our-products/hydrationnutrition/race-ve... better spec than I could but I give it a thumbs up!

Good Luck!

2011-10-01 11:34 AM

I agree with the overwhelming favorite of the hpl 020. 

I suggest buying it from amazon - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N0WBIQ/ref=asc_df_B000N0WBIQ1725442?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B000N0WBIQ

BTW: There are several threads in here about this.   

2011-10-29 1:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleetwood, PA
I have a Camelbak Octane XCT that drives me nuts.  The straps do not stay in place so I'm constantly readjusting them so it doesn't bounce around.  It's very heavy when full (holds 3 liters) but I have no other options when running 20+ on the trails.  I did fill it in the summer because I am a heavy sweater and need the water.  I finally decided to hit one parking lot where I can do a few short out/backs with a handheld bottle and change the bottle.  I may check out the Nathan that has been recommended. 
2011-11-02 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Surprise, AZ
I like the camelback Lobo.  It hold 100oz's and plenty of room for food and supplies.  I feel the 100oz is required here in AZ for summer (plus 2 - 25oz hand bottles).  Running in CO you might be able to get by with a 60.  I prefer hand bottles in a race but always train with both.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hydration Pack suggestions Rss Feed