WVU Hospitals
52F / 11C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 04m 20s
Overall Rank = 256/429
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 10/23
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5am, ate oatmeal, on the 2 hour drive to the race, drank hot tea. Parked, found registration, ate banana, checked bag. Ran down to the stadium to get water and realized I was overdressed. Stripped down to running shorts and short sleeve top. Wool ball cap for rain.
Event warmup:

Jogged up to starting point, Had almost an hour to wait. Jogged around the buildings, waited inside th e gym to stay warm (and dry). Jogged again a few minutes before race started.
Run
  • 1h 04m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Remembered to go easy at the beginning and was good at watching heart rate. Tried to keep it in the low 150's, but it kept creeping up to 160. Since I felt okay, I just kept going. Glad I had my own Gatorade, water stops were a long way out -like mile 3 or 4 for the first one and I honestly don't remember a second one. Took a goo at mile 4, good timing, felt like we were starting to climb and we had been warned about the hill at mile 5.5 to not get to perky until after that last hill. The hill wasn't so bad, but I picked it up a bit after I was sure it was all downhill.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe push a little harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to food - pizza never tasted so good! It was hot! Had to hurry to shower and get dry so could watch my cousin Adam finish the marathon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably should have used some malto in my Gatorade. Did not drink as much as I should have and might have performed better. Being so hungry at the end was clear indication I did not get enough nutrition during the race.

Event comments:

Extremely well organized race with lots of options and overlap that makes for a fun time no matter what distance you run. Even with the rain, everything went off without a hitch. Very friendly race volunteers. LOTS of signs out on the course are very helpful especially with so many races sharing parts of the same course. Do not think there were enough water stops on the 10k. Finish line food was great - hot pizza! loved that I could shower at the wellness center before driving home.

Last updated: 2011-09-27 12:00 AM
Running
01:04:20 | 06.21 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/23
Overall: 256/429
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat, start is steep downhill (have to climb this hill at the end, except it's not straight up but a winding path - not as bad). The final stretch is also very steep and because of the rain, slick!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes