United States
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 51/164
Pre-race routine:

Wake up and waste time at home. Realize it's past time to leave, so speed down the tollway. Drive around aimlessly looking for the advertised parking garages. Give up and park in one of the lots, stand in line with about 50 other people to pay at the machine, notice the lot across the street has one person in line, move car. Hurry to the starting line and stand in the long line for the porta-potty. Just make it to the starting line with about 60 seconds to spare.

Ate a protein bar at home at 5 am and a honey stinger gel before the start. Carried the handheld water bottle
Event warmup:

Rush to make the start
Run
  • 2h 09m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

My first 1/2 marathon, and it was my birthday. I suck at pacing! And I have no ability to do simple math when I am running. I wanted to run ~ 9 min/miles and paced off of two guys who said that was their pace. Even though there were mile markers with time every miles and I had my Garmin on, it took me a little over 4 miles to realize I was running way too fast. I stated to feel like I was going to throw up, and I slowed down a bit. Made myself take another gel and drank a ton of water. Probably too much water, at the 6 mile water station I had to stand in the port-potty line for about 4 minutes. After loosing that time I started to walk the water stations. Finally at about mile 12 I no longer felt like I was going to throw up. I was very glad when it was over.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to pace at least a little bit.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around looking for more water. They gas you a bottle when you crossed the finish line, but after that all I could find were recovery drinks and beer. Tried to eat pretzels but dropped them on the ground when I was stretching. Walked back to the car and drove to Oak Cliff to help Johna sell jerseys at a bike rally - which actually entailed sitting on a chair talking with her.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Started way to fast.

Event comments:

The water stations seemed to be pretty random, and not enough volunteers at the last few (no one at the last one). I really wished I had my iPod for distraction. They advertised entertainment , but that consisted of a girl and guy with a guitar on a trampoline and 2 people on really tall stilts. The last 1/2 mile there were a couple of bands and the Mavs maniacs, but I really did not care to be entertained at that point.

Last updated: 2011-10-02 12:00 AM
Running
02:09:26 | 13.1 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/164
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]