General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar Fasciitis-How long?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-10-28 5:56 AM
in reply to: #3741684

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Plantar Fasciitis-How long??
gwbuild - 2011-10-27 10:17 PM

Looks like alot of different approaches.
I had Plantar Faciitis a couple years ago. Could barely walk in the mornings sometimes.

After reading about people suffering for years at a time, and trying to suffer thru it buying the special nighttime socks (hated those) and spending all sorts of money on gimmicky 'fixes'. I made the hard decision to just stay off my feet. Took about 2 months. No gravity based exercise, not even biking. Was great for my swim though.

I coupled that break with massage typically 3-4 times per month, with about 20-30 minutes focused on my Feet specifically.

And now I wear SOLE inserts in all my shoes. I've probably bought $500 worth of those things.

100% free from pain now. Only lasted about 2 months once I made the choice to get serious about FIXING the problem... which means STAY OFF THE FEET. I can't imagine why folks who suffer long-term can't just give it a break to heal!

I think it's very individual.  What works for one doesn't always work for someone else.  I had it in 2008 and took a 5 month break from all exercise.  Well, that is when I took swim lessons so I could learn to incorporate swim into my workout routine, but I didn't know how to swim at all, so I was only in the water learning.  After 5 mos of barely moving, the PF was just as severe as it was the day I started my break.  That was coupled with PT, boot, NSAIDS, massage, icing...You name it.  After 5 mos. of no activity and a weight gain of 10 lbs, I went back to running and after a few weeks it got noticeably better. 

2011-10-28 6:34 AM
in reply to: #3741684

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Subject: RE: Plantar Fasciitis-How long??
gwbuild - 2011-10-27 10:17 PM

Looks like alot of different approaches.
I had Plantar Faciitis a couple years ago. Could barely walk in the mornings sometimes.

After reading about people suffering for years at a time, and trying to suffer thru it buying the special nighttime socks (hated those) and spending all sorts of money on gimmicky 'fixes'. I made the hard decision to just stay off my feet. Took about 2 months. No gravity based exercise, not even biking. Was great for my swim though.

I coupled that break with massage typically 3-4 times per month, with about 20-30 minutes focused on my Feet specifically.

And now I wear SOLE inserts in all my shoes. I've probably bought $500 worth of those things.

100% free from pain now. Only lasted about 2 months once I made the choice to get serious about FIXING the problem... which means STAY OFF THE FEET. I can't imagine why folks who suffer long-term can't just give it a break to heal!

The pool was my only real option, a little light cycling the first year, orthaheel flip flops were the only way I was going to make it from the locker room to the pool.huge arch supports! At one point I must have had 30 different pairs of insole's and several expensive custom orthotics. Still use the SOLE's in some shoes, ED v's are my fav.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar Fasciitis-How long?? Rss Feed  

of 2