General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's the best HIM in Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-01-05 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3930705

User image

Subject: RE: What's the best HIM in Texas
onurleft - 2011-12-08 7:28 AM

Look at you guys trying to talk me into putting on a HIM. Very clever. We certainly appreciate all the confidence and love for our races.

OK guys so here's the deal.... I would LOVE to put on a HIM. The problem is the work involved. Right now it takes about 3-5 days depending on the event, to setup. That would be relatively close to being the same as it is now even if we changed to a HIM, so not a big deal.

The course signage and cones would double or in some cases triple. I am not one to throw people out on open roads that are unconed and unprotected and let them fend for themselves. So there's the first major issue, as we buy all our gear and rarely rent.

Second is the amount of volunteers needed. To properly do it we'd need upwards of 1,500 volunteers, most of which would have to be adults or kids on shifts. That's going to be a tough sell, but still doable.

The deal breaker is location. The best location is Galveston, which is already taken. Houston is not an option. Kemah would work if they weren't so strict with the road closures and backups. That leaves Katy, Fulshear, or Conroe basically. There aren't bodies of water in Fulshear or Katy that are big enough to handle it. Conroe already has Oilman.

Also, remember that to get the volunteers needed and the participants to register it has to be in a populated area OR a great vacation destination. Unfortunately we're past the days of putting on 400-600 person events. First year we'd need 800-1,000 people in a HIM to make it worth while with the huge budgets we have. That's tough. I have no doubt our loyal athletes would help us make those numbers.

I'm not saying it's out of the range of possibilities but probably wouldn't happen until 2013 or even 2014. Right now our focus is to sellout and keep improving our 4 major events, Kemah Tri, Bridgeland Tri, Houston Tri, and the Monster Mash Run. In 2012 we will also introduce the Ramp Run 5k, Houston Time Trials, a 5k swim (to be named), and really work on getting the San Antonio Triathlon up and running for 2013. San Antonio could be a possibility for a half. We'll have to wait and see. We also have a AWESOME running series in the mix that will be unveiled later next year. You guys will LOVE it!

Again thanks guys for your confidence and kind words. I always like to keep you all in the loop on what we're doing. If you have any suggestions on anything like locations and dates to consider for the 5k Open Water Swim or the San Antonio Tri please feel free to share.

An SA HIM would be greatly appreciated! San Antonio is such a diverse place with many attractions. If you can find a good swim location it would be a great venue. I'll be looking for it in 2013!

2012-01-05 9:46 PM
in reply to: #3974029

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: RE: What's the best HIM in Texas
Shmashin - 2012-01-05 9:14 PM
onurleft - 2011-12-08 7:28 AM

Look at you guys trying to talk me into putting on a HIM. Very clever. We certainly appreciate all the confidence and love for our races.

OK guys so here's the deal.... I would LOVE to put on a HIM. The problem is the work involved. Right now it takes about 3-5 days depending on the event, to setup. That would be relatively close to being the same as it is now even if we changed to a HIM, so not a big deal.

The course signage and cones would double or in some cases triple. I am not one to throw people out on open roads that are unconed and unprotected and let them fend for themselves. So there's the first major issue, as we buy all our gear and rarely rent.

Second is the amount of volunteers needed. To properly do it we'd need upwards of 1,500 volunteers, most of which would have to be adults or kids on shifts. That's going to be a tough sell, but still doable.

The deal breaker is location. The best location is Galveston, which is already taken. Houston is not an option. Kemah would work if they weren't so strict with the road closures and backups. That leaves Katy, Fulshear, or Conroe basically. There aren't bodies of water in Fulshear or Katy that are big enough to handle it. Conroe already has Oilman.

Also, remember that to get the volunteers needed and the participants to register it has to be in a populated area OR a great vacation destination. Unfortunately we're past the days of putting on 400-600 person events. First year we'd need 800-1,000 people in a HIM to make it worth while with the huge budgets we have. That's tough. I have no doubt our loyal athletes would help us make those numbers.

I'm not saying it's out of the range of possibilities but probably wouldn't happen until 2013 or even 2014. Right now our focus is to sellout and keep improving our 4 major events, Kemah Tri, Bridgeland Tri, Houston Tri, and the Monster Mash Run. In 2012 we will also introduce the Ramp Run 5k, Houston Time Trials, a 5k swim (to be named), and really work on getting the San Antonio Triathlon up and running for 2013. San Antonio could be a possibility for a half. We'll have to wait and see. We also have a AWESOME running series in the mix that will be unveiled later next year. You guys will LOVE it!

Again thanks guys for your confidence and kind words. I always like to keep you all in the loop on what we're doing. If you have any suggestions on anything like locations and dates to consider for the 5k Open Water Swim or the San Antonio Tri please feel free to share.

An SA HIM would be greatly appreciated! San Antonio is such a diverse place with many attractions. If you can find a good swim location it would be a great venue. I'll be looking for it in 2013!

Tall Texan!!!  Right in your backyard!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's the best HIM in Texas Rss Feed  

of 2