TRI-It Productions, Inc.
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 16h 39m 48s
Overall Rank = 90/122
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/22
Pre-race routine:

Before I get into the details of this race. I am so proud that I finished this. 2005 is my first full tri-season. In fact, I have gone from Couch-to-Iron Distance in about 13 months. I have trained hard for a year to get where I am now. I bought my bike in August of last year, before that I hadn't ridden any kind of road bike at all. I started running in July of last year, 2 miles at a time is all I could do and I'm still learning how to swim.

I wanted to do much better in this than I did, but I learned a lot about my self and am encouraged to press on.

----Race Recap----
My wife, I and her training partner went up to Oklahoma City on Thursday, 2 days before the race. We got into some of the traffic getting out of Texas, people were evacuating Houston and other areas getting out of the way of Rita. 6 hour drive, we got there about 10pm Thursday night.

Friday we drove the Bike course, packet pickup, Carb loaded at Olive Garden, packed our transition bags, carried our bikes and bags to the transition area and then headed off to the race meeting. We got to bed around 9:30pm. I slept real good for 2.5 hours, then bam! 12am hit and I was up for the rest of the night, could not turn my brain off. I even went to the lobby and watched about and hour of Austin Powers, but still was not tired enough to sleep.

4:00am FINALLY happened. YES it is race time. Got up, had a ham and cheese pita pocket, OJ, banana and some Gatorade. Left for the lake at 5:15am.

Got body-marked, timing chip, located my T1 bag to make sure all was in place. I ate a PowerGel about 30 minutes before the start with some water and then Gatorade. Sprayed PAM all over my legs to pull my wetsuit on, went on down to the water with my wife and her training partner.
Event warmup:

No warmup!, come-on, I have 140.6 miles to cover today!
Swim
  • 1h 42m 26s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

We started the swim right at 7am as advertised. However, it was still dark, I used my clear goggles - but it was still pretty dark. So, just follow the white-caps in the water till it got lighter. Since I can't see anything (I do not have perscription goggles) I had made a mental image of the course - I expected it to be rectagle as on the map, but it was curving, so each boey I got to I continued to swim straight, but the next boey was off to my left. The first loop was pretty bad navigation on my part, but the second loop was better.

Actually I saw my wife and swam behind her for about 1/2 the 2nd loop, but then got off course and didn't see her again until T1.

Overall the swim was the swim, in practice I had gotten a 1:24 with my wetsuit on, but that was in the day and I knew where I was going without anyone else around - so, I'm OK with my time.
What would you do differently?:

Lasik Surgery? - It is the first thing that comes to mind for me on open water swims.

They could have had more boeys out - it was hard for me to see from one to the next.
Transition 1
  • 07m
Comments:

I was helped getting out of the water - there was a lot of deep clay next to where we got out, so the volunteers were helping to pull us out. They told me to watch a big step, but hey - I have no depth perception without glasses on - so WHAM! I jam my left foot into the side of the ground.

I had the strippers help me off with my suit, then onto the changing tent. A guy brought my T1 bag to me, I change while eating a banana and off I went.

I was happy with my T1 time.

So far everything is going as planned.

Lasik Surgery? - So that I can navigate without glasses coming out of the water.
Bike
  • 7h 14m 32s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.46 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was 4 loops, and driving it the day before it looked real nice and appeared to be a fast course. So, not being a fast biker, I was still hoping for >16mph avg including my stops.

I got 114.5 miles on my computer, others got 115 miles. But hey you go 112, what is wrong with throwing in a few extra for good measure.

Loop one I was averging 16.9
Loop two I was still holding 16.7
Loop three I was on 16.5

Only stopped a couple of times to re-fill the camelbak. The volunteers were great. I'd pull up, unclip and stand over my bike, they would open the Gatorade and we'd fill up my camelbak and I'd be off.

The wind began to pickup on Loop 4, it was about 2:30pm and temp was around 89 degrees, wind 12 with 18 mph gusts so my pace began to drop dramitcally.

Things were going as expected until I got to about 2 miles from the end and my left hamstring cramped. I tried to clip out with my right leg but my calf cramped and as soon as I rotated to clip out. OH *%&$ I'm going down!!! - Mind over body I forced my right leg to clip out and was able to stop. I could see the transition area around the lake about 2 miles to go. I stretched my left leg, put my bike in the small ring and spun in real slow - about 10mph.

Once again - Cramps!!! - I had consumed the following on the bike.

7 Lava Salts (one every hour)
142 oz of Gatorade
40 oz of Water
3 Cliff Bars (Loop 1, 2, 4)
1 Bagel w/ PB (Loop 3)
6 PowerGels

I need to find out what is going on with cramps. I drank 182 oz over 7.25 hours, which is 25 oz an hour. This is the general recomendation (20-32) I think. However, I was probably dehydrated since I didn't pee at all during that 7 hours.

Drink More - or find out what is happening with the cramping and buy whatever I need to fix it.
Transition 2
  • 09m 24s
Comments:

I rolled up and a volunteer helped me off my bike, I told him I was cramping and he made sure that I was OK and was able to walk my bike over to the rack.

I got to the changing tent and was curious to see my toes (remember I stumped them getting out of the swim). Sure enough my big and 2nd toe are purple about 1/2 way up them. I don't think they are broken, but I was wondering how I could cover 26.2 miles on jammed toes.

My toe problem was quickly dimished by the cramping that starting to happen when I tried to put my running shoes on. The volunteer helped me put them on and get me out the door. He said, "Is this your first Ironman", yes was the answer and then he just said, "Don't sit here very long" and out the door I went with a banana in hand.

This was a slow T2 time, but it took me some time to change may clothes and shoes with the cramps.
Run
  • 7h 26m 27s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 17m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I began the run at about 4:15pm. I had about 7 1/2 hours before midnight. I planned on getting a 5 hour marathon in (yeah right!!) I'm already dehydrated and cramping, like I can run at all.

I walked the first 2 miles, then tried to jog slowly - hey this is working. I was able to jog about a 10-11 minute mile pace for a couple hundred yards and then walk some. This went on till about mile 7 or 8.

Fatigue started to creep in, and I found a walking partner. I met my wife going out on the first loop and she asked me how I felt. Actually I don't know why she asked - she could tell I was not doing so well. She gave me another Lava Salt, I took that and my stomach didn't agree too much. It didn't come up, but I wasn't doing any better. I couldn't drink anything and starting at mile 13 my walking partner and I were only able to eat some ice to keep our mouths wet.

We slowed to about 3 mph about mile 20. We tried a little Sprite and that help clear our minds a little, or at least gave us a sugar rush for about 1/2 mile.

At mile 23, it was 10:30pm - 3.2 miles in 1 and 1/2 hour. I couldn't believe I was in such pitiful shape. I kept telling myself about the year of running and all the mornings at the track that 3 miles is nothing. But then my mind went to, 3 MILES = 1 HOUR AT THIS PACE. I had to keep this up another hour.

"One foot in front of the other!!"
"Just keep walking, Just keep walking"
"I'm Strong, I'm going to Finish"

Anything that I could come up with to talk myself through this.

Then mile 26 finally came. I wanted to kiss that sign, but I feared I'd fall, cramp up and just lay there, so I pressed on.

I told my walking partner that I was going to have my 30 seconds i the spot-light, then head straight to the medical tent for them to check me out.

I practiced raising my arms in the dark, to see if I could do it - I wanted that photo!

Finally it came!!!! 140.6 Miles, Done!, Completed!, I DID IT!!! It is a great feeling and worth it.

My wife has a book with a sentence in it that goes something like, "Anyone can swim 2.4 miles and bike 80 miles, that is when the race really starts".

OK - I'm not just ANYONE anymore!

I don't know, the mistakes I made where already made on the bike, or in my planning for the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking to the medical tent, got 2 bags of IV fluids and then I was much better.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hydration, cramping, heat, wind. And 140.6 miles.

Event comments:

http://www.redmantriathlon.com/

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:42:26 | 4224 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/22
Overall: 0/122
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: 2 loop rectangle, counter-clockwise, actually it was a curving rectagle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 07:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:14:32 | 112 miles | 15.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/22
Performance: Below average
HR: 150 Avg
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 4 Loops - rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 09:24
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
07:26:27 | 26.2 miles | 17m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/22
Performance:
127 Avg HR
Course: 2 Loop through the park around the lake, beautiful!.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-26 5:59 PM

User image

Regular
Robinson, TX
Subject: Redman Triathlon (Iron Distance)

2005-09-26 7:45 PM
in reply to: #253933

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: Redman Triathlon (Iron Distance)

Welcome to the ranks.  You are an IRONMAN!

What a fantastic accomplishment. You are well deserving for many more congratulations you receive from all those who know you've accomplished such a great feat.

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

2005-09-26 8:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
That is an awesome race report.  Glad you were able to overcome the adversity and complete it.  I was thinking about that race all day on Saturday and wishing I was there.  Congratulations on your accomplishment!
2005-09-28 9:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Wichita, KS
I am in awe, man. As I sit here, at least 12 months from my first Ironman, it looks hella daunting, but it is incredibly encouraging to hear someone master themselves, the elements, and one of the hardest endeavors man purposefully attempts. Congratulations!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Redman Triathlon (Iron Distance) Rss Feed