General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Tired of lurking Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-06 3:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zephyrhills, FL
Subject: Tired of lurking
Hey everyone, I finally decided to get in on the forum, heres a little bit about myself. I played Division 1 college hockey and following graduation my buddy and I decided to take over a childrens fitness and weight loss center. Things are going pretty good, but what I miss most is the feeling of competition. I only work when the kids are out of school, so I decided a few months ago to start training for sprint triathlons, and I have been going pretty hard ever since. At 6'1 225 lbs, I am much bigger than most triathletes I'm sure, but I'm in very good shape. I am really training hard like we had to in college, I dont want to enter races for fun, my ultra competitive personality would have none of that. What do you guys think? Am I taking the wrong approach to this? Also, I want to get all the gear that I will need for the races, any suggestions on package deals or anything? I have until next summer, so I feel like I can really make some strides before my first race. Thanks in advance everyone.
Jon

2005-10-06 3:54 PM
in reply to: #260999

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: RE: Tired of lurking
Hey! Glad you joined us This place is awesome - for info, people, answers, etc.
As far as doing races for more than just fun, I think there are a lot of people here in both boats. I've just started out, and I'd like to get more competitive. It's fun, yes. And we do it because it's fun. But I'm also finding that it would be great to 'tri' to win.
Gear - I bought my bike from ebay. Great prices, great range of bikes. But before you just purchase one, go to a bike shop and see which one fits. And get goggles that fit you. I can't wear mine for more that 45 minutes. The eye cups are too small and I've been too cheap to buy new ones so far!
2005-10-06 4:05 PM
in reply to: #261001

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zephyrhills, FL
yeah, i found out that goggles are a little different than the ones i wore when i was 8 years old. i bought a cheap pair of nike goggles that i use when i swim now, but they fog up as soon as i put them on. no big deal, i'll get a real pair once my swimming ability picks up a bit. im really excited about the whole idea of entering sprint triathlons, i feel like this is going to open up a whole new part of my life. thanks for the tips watergirl, i appreciate it.
JON
2005-10-07 3:52 PM
in reply to: #261006

Jon, may I also welcome you! Nice to have you here. About foggy goggles? I was recommended to smear just a LITTLE baby shampoo on the inside of the lenses, just enough to form a slight film. It worked a treat for me. Unfortunately it doesn't help my swimming technique though :-) Good luck with your training and keep us all posted.
Tracy
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Tired of lurking Rss Feed