General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total Newbie bike gear question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-17 7:29 AM

Subject: Total Newbie bike gear question
The last bike I had was a ten-speed from Sears I bought in 1982. So, I got a good deal on an entry level 24 speed, and all I have to say is... HELP ME! I have no idea when to use what gears. I know the concept of spinning, and spent an hour yesterday trying to figure this out. I'm kinda okay on flats and kinda okay going uphill, but am clueless on going down hills, etc. I've found info online, but it all reads like a stereo manual -- or it's written for someone who already knows what the writer is talking about. Any "Using Bike Gears dor Dummies" help? Thank you.

2005-10-17 7:48 AM
in reply to: #266226

User image

Veteran
Northeast
Subject: RE: Total Newbie bike gear question
Aim to keep your legs spinning at about the same rate no matter what the terrain. In other words: if you are on flat terrain, spin your legs at a rate which feels natural to you (i.e., not to fast, and not to slow). When the road turns uphill, shift your way to an easier gear to try and maintain that rate. Conversly, when the road goes downhill, shift into a harder gear. The rate your legs are spinning is called "cadence," and you want your cadence to be somewhat consistent.

As for the actual mechanics, shifting using your right-hand lever will make it easier or harder in little steps at a time (FYI: you're shifting your rear derailler with this shifter). Using your left-hand lever, you'll jump an entire "cluster" of gears at once, making it easier or harder in one very large step (FYI: you're shifting your front derailler with this shifter).

Don't worry about what each lever is doing, what size gears make what kind of difference, etc... just go ride and play with the shifters *constantly* until you get the hang of "what does what."

You'll have it in no time.

Good luck!
2005-10-17 8:25 AM

User image

Elite

Hey celtva.  jvinciqu did a good job of answering your question.  Let me add just a few things..

Shifting and spinning at a good cadence isn't everything.  You have to try and keep the same amount of pedal force consistent throughout your gear range.  Uphill or downhill, the amount of effort you are applying should be consistent.

There's a thing called Cross Chaining.  This is a bad thing.  Cross chaining is when you have the chain on the big gear up front and the big gear in back, or, the small gear up front and the small gear in back.  What this does is cause the chain to twist laterally and at a minium can cause noise, and the worst it can break the chain or cause drivetrain wear.  To see what this looks like, shift your front gear into the big ring and shift the rear to the big gear.  Notice how the chain is forced into an angle.  Try to avoid this.

2005-10-17 8:52 AM

Veteran
Dallas, Texas
Sheldon Brown is an excellent resource for cycling questions. http://sheldonbrown.com/articles.html

Here's an article on shifting: http://sheldonbrown.com/gears.html

Bill
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total Newbie bike gear question Rss Feed