United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 50m 47s
Overall Rank = 80/169
Age Group = Males 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Did the normal thing...bowl of oatmeal 3 hours before the race and lots of water up until 2 hours before the race.
Event warmup:

Not much...not much at all. Just the normal minimal stretching and walking around.
Run
  • 50m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

FIRST AGE-GROUP PLACE EVER!!! Went home with a medal!!! WooHoo!!!

Happy...Really Happy, in fact. Since I haven't run 6 miles in one workout since March, I figured anything below a 9:00 pace would be fine. Imagine my surprise when I kept clicking off 8:10 miles! The mileage did get me a little as I developed a side-stitch in the last mile which slowed me some. Plus we were running into a slight headwind for the final mile.

Great to be racing again, and really fun to hear your name called at the awards ceremony.
What would you do differently?:

Not much...ran with some folks at key parts of the race which helped me keep my pace solid.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a lot and kept downing bagels. Kept walking around. (Had to...the cool-down area was in the cold shadow of a large building. It was cold in the shade.)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much recent race experience.

Event comments:

Great small race! First year in a new location, so there were small glitches. (The start was a hoot...no sound system there at the starting line, so the inexperienced starter just through up his arms and yelled GO!) And who was the smartie to put a curb 15 feet past the start line across half the course. I saw it and veered right, but lots of people didn't and some nearly fell.

Last updated: 2005-10-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:50:47 | 06.21 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 0/169
Performance: Good
I haven't run with a stopwatch in months; I just run based on how I feel. I absolutely was 'stuck' at 8:10 splits for the first 10 miles, down to the second on each mile.
Course: Awesome course in a great location up and down both banks of the Grand River in Grand Rapids. Ran across my favorite bridge, the Sixth Street Bridge, twice. I love it because it's an old railroad-style bridge. The sidewalks on this bridge are actually on the outside of the railroad tressle and are comprised of wood decking, much like a boardwalk. It's so soft to run on, while nearly everyone else runs in the hard ashphalt street. Because this was a 5K/10K event, we 10K participants had to pass the finish line at the half way point and go out again. The one complaint I had were these odd 'switchback' type things at three points on the course. We literally had to make 180 degree turns on a dime to run up a couple inclines. It didn't bother me too much, but it definitely takes you out of your rhythm and makes you very conscience of who is around you.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes