General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting all over again Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-02 12:01 PM

Regular
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: Starting all over again

Hello to everyone, 

I am a recycled newbie!  I started on Beginnertriathlete in the fall of last year. For some strange reason I decided that I was going to lose some weight and do a triathlon.  I paid my money for Danskin at Disney so I wouldn't chicken out.  I trained just a tiny little bit, nowhere near what I should have but more than I would have done otherwise.  The weekend came and my family had to go to TX, so I decided I would try anyway and not be disappointed if I didn't make it.  I went to Orlando and amazingly enough I finished!  I wasn't even last.  I was on cloud nine for a little while, I couldn't believe that I did it! 

Well, you would have thought I would have gotten into a great exercise routine after that but I didn't.  I did participate in the Peachtree road race but I walked the whole thing.  So here I am again, fatter than last year, fatter than I was when I was pregnant at the most I have ever weighed in my life and I am going to start again.  I weigh 227 pounds and I am 5 feet 10 1/2 inches.  I haven't told my weight to anyone in a long time.

I think I am going to shoot for doing the Danskin again in May and try to do slightly better in time than I did before.  Today, I started Atkins.  I need a mental boost from losing some weight quickly.  I am planning on staying on Atkins till Thanksgiving, going off for Thanksgiving and then either starting Atkins again or something else.  I am going to simply start by walking an hour each day and go from there.  Thanks for listening.  I needed to write it out so I am more committed. - swp

2005-11-02 4:39 PM
in reply to: #276524

User image

Expert
St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: Starting all over again
Welcome back! 
2005-11-02 8:25 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Congrats on jumping back on the horse!  If I can give one piece of advice, reconsider doing Atkins and training at the same time.  You need some carbs for recovery.  You'll feel like crap and get discouraged.  I had to retrain my brain too when I started doing this.  It was very hard to get out of the Carbs-Are-Bad mode.  I lost 15 pounds in 3 months, eating what I wanted...carbs included.  Your body needs fuel, don't ignore that.  Best of luck and don't give up!!

Edited by tri_it_cajun_style 2005-11-02 8:26 PM
2005-11-03 12:42 AM

User image

Master

Congrats on making it back! I recently came back after a short vacation from working out due to some personal issues and am in the same boat as you. Lots of weight to loose and some fitness to regain.

Keep looking forward and focus on where you want to be and not on where you were and I am sure you will meet your goal!

2005-11-03 7:20 AM

Regular
Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks for the welcome back.  I am only planning on doing Atkins for a month just to get things started for myself.  I need to see a little weight drop off fairly quickly and I am only planning on walking for the first month.  After that month then I plan to start with swimming again.
2005-11-03 7:28 PM
in reply to: #277028

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio

A couple of thoughts that helped me.....

Stay focused on your goals
Do whatever it takes to motivate yourself.  I watch FitTv and ironman races.
If you slip, get right back up, don't beat yourself up, just move forward with more resolve
And -  Have a little fun in the process. 

Good luck!

2005-11-05 9:08 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Welcome Back!!

I did Atkins for 2 years w/different variations. When I started eatting more healthy carbs my workouts improved immensely.

You may want to read the new Friel Book Paleo Diet for Athletes. It is a lean version of Atkins with more vegys and fruit but w/o dairy and fat type meat. It has some adjustments when you excercise so you have enough gylcogen to workout but time eatting of good carbs around your workouts. Also a poster on BT Ken wrote a book Evolution of Running a book on run training for Triathletes...and it has a long chapter maybe 25 pages about losing weight while workout and getting to race weight. His information is super.

A bunch of us are going to try the Paleo diet for a month and we'd invite you to try it along with us.

Welcome and good luck!

2005-11-07 7:11 AM

Regular
Atlanta, Georgia
Kathy, thanks for the warm welcome back.  I have already finished a week of atkins and will probably stay on this till thanksgiving.  After Thanksgiving, I was planning on switching to South Beach (which I have never tried) but I will have to check out this new diet.  Right now, I am only walking, so low energy isn't a big problem.    Let me know how the friel diet goes. - Sonya
2005-11-08 12:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio

Sonya,

Welcome back!  I'm in kind of the same boat as you.  I worked really hard for about 15 months, lost 54 pounds, completed 4 tris and a handful of road races over 2 summers and now I've gone into hibernation mode.  I keep coming back here to remind myself that I don't want to give up on this lifestyle forever.

I'm really amazed that I haven't gained the weight back since I stopped working out in August.  In some ways I'm happy that I'm able to maintain, but at the same time, it really bugs me that I worked out so stinkin' hard and weight loss was so slow!  I'm now a really firm believer that if you don't control your diet, weight loss just isn't going to happen.

I hope Atkins is going well.  My husband was doing Atkins and I decided that I would try Phase 1 of the South Beach diet at the same time.  I think I lost about 10 pounds in the 2 week period and it was great motivation to add exercise.  Doing south beach for a couple of weeks made me look at how many empty carbs I had been eating and the kind of sugar spikes I was experiencing.  I feel like now I'm much more aware of which kinds of food give me the energy I need.

Keep us posted on how it goes for you!

Debi

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting all over again Rss Feed