General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Any tips appreciated Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-10-11 10:03 PM

Subject: Any tips appreciated
I'm a 40 yo women who has decided on my first tri. I have recently competed in an NPC figure competition.But that dealt with alot of training with mainly weights. I love lifting but at a lean 5'9" I feel I need a new goal. I FINALLY quit smoking and want to start to build by cardio and enurance. Swimming was my first choice since it is getting cold out. 2X wk 35 laps. As a beginner I was wondering what's the best route to take. It seems like swimming through the winter will help build my lung capacity for running wich I find to be difficult ( all cardi is a challeng). I set out for my first run today in 6 months it seemed difficult, a walk run, but then I biked 2 miles. I have only been a non smoker for 3 weeks but am determined to compete next spring. ANy suggestions on a training routine (books) would be greatly aqppreciated. I realize I have a lot to learn in technique in each event. Any suggestions for a begginer to combinre all 3 events. Thanks Dednise

2003-10-11 11:29 PM
in reply to: #1162

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Any tips appreciated
Check out this link here at BT that Ron has for a beginning program(s)

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/sprint%20programs.htm

Use it to adapt to your needs and as you get more comfortable with the training you will suddenly start finding your way. As always please ask any questions you have and somebody has probably had a similar experience with the same thing and can offer you valuable advice.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-10-12 4:59 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: kudos on the non-smoking.

THAT IS GREAT!  I heard about a study in some state or city that banned smoking and the IMMEDIATE effects (within a month - I think) were astounding...although u may not feel them - u may be feeling pretty horrible now -  many of the smoking-related diseases were immediately lowered in rate upon quiting...hospitals, doctors offices...all noticed a big change in their stats.

anyways, check out the books section - personally, i used steven jonas's book 'triathloning for ordinary mortals.'  it is for the first time triathlete.  although not for the person looking to rank in top percentile, but it will definitely get u to finish comfortably.

good job so far.  just remember to take things conservatively.  running when u never had to IS difficult.

2003-10-14 6:08 AM

Regular
Gulfport, MS
Subject: RE: Any tips appreciated
I am an ex-smoker for 3 years. Trust me when I say it is much better to be smoke free. You will love the way things smell and taste again. I have recently started training for a tri so I am quite a "newbie" at all this. I plan on doing a sprint in May 2004.
Just remember, your body will appreciate the fact that you aren't inhaling all that junk anymore and keep with it! My big thing was remembering that I don't want my kids to say their mom died from smoking!!!
You can do it!!!!!!
2003-10-14 8:55 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Any tips appreciated Rss Feed