General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tri/running plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-23 3:34 PM

Subject: tri/running plan
im wrapping up a college track season and preparing to do my first triathlon in mid june, around the same time i am going out for the empire state games (10k track).... ive put together a training plan and i was wondering if i could get some feedback on it...

MONDAY- BIKE, RUN
TUESDAY- ABS, SWIM
WEDS- RUN
THURS-RUN/BIKE
FRIDAY- ABS, SWIM, LIFT
SAT-RUN/OFF
SUN- LONG RUN

any thoughts....thanks

2004-04-23 3:51 PM
in reply to: #21000

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Subject: RE: tri/running plan
Try and work in a long bike day. The majority of your time, regardless of the event, will be spent on the bike. I have been told you should shoot for a long bike, swim and run session each week. From there just work in whatever else you need to build on your limiters(weakest segment).
2004-04-23 4:20 PM

User image

Veteran
What does abs mean? I guess I know what they are, but what are you doing for them. I just work my abs in at the end of my run or bike, while stretching. I do a few sit-ups, and a few other things, but I don't set aside a special time. It looks like a good plan. I agree that a long bike is important part of the work out. On you run and bike days are you going to be doing a brick, or AM/PM. The only thing that I might change, is doing a run or bike on swimming days. I find that I work mostly my arms swimming and can run or bike just as strong as if I had not worked out yet. Good luck with everything
2004-04-23 4:26 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Keep in mind that if you are doing a sprint tri, your event time will be roughly 10 minutes swim; 40 minutes bike and 20 minutes run. Your finish in the bike will go a long way to determining your overall finish. So a long bike ride each week will be key to your success.

Following that, I would recommend two changes to your plan: 1) Schedule at least one day off each week. You could work abs on this day, but nothing aerobic. 2) Make sure that every fourth or fifth week you take a recovery week. From my time in college track, I know we did this, so I would assume you are used to this as well. Back off to one easy, slow workout per day, with one or two days off for that week.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tri/running plan Rss Feed