General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Another first timer Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-12-07 4:04 PM

New user

Minneapolis
Subject: Another first timer
I'm new to this site and this sport, but stumbled on the site this afternoon and am impressed. Like many others in this forum I am a former athlete (and former active person for that matter). I woke up Monday morning and realized I've spent the last 8 years (since college) working way too many hours (sitting on my bum) and watching way too much tv. At 30 and with a new daughter (my first - born in August), I realized I need to move my body again, feel fit, increase my energy level and get healthy. I'm not particularly overweight, but am in terrible shape.....so I did something crazy and registered for the July 16 Minneapolis Lifetime Fitness Olympic distance triathlon.

I'm not worried about completing the tri. My main concern is staying motivated during the winter months in Mpls. Yesterday on my way to the gym the temperature read - 6F.....so if anyone has any tips on winter training to avoid the boredome please tell.

2005-12-07 6:19 PM
in reply to: #301326

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Another first timer

Welcome to BT Nick.

There's a ton of us on BT who live in the midwest.  Several from Mpls.  I'm in Nebraska where its currently 1 degree and snowing for the fourth time in a week.  Believe me, we all struggle.  What motivates us?  Many different things.  One being the will to be a better person.  BT is another major motivater.  There are a lot of good people here who can offer great advise and help keep you motivated.  Sign up for membership with BT and take advantage of all BT has to offer. 

Good luck!

2005-12-07 7:24 PM

User image

Pro
Reston
WELCOME!On the topic of staying motivated, what works for me is to have it written down, planned out, and in my face. I keep my weekly training schedule in several places, one of them being in my bathroom. I also have race numbers from the previous season taped to my bathroom mirror, so thats the first thing I see in the morning. It's a great way to get yourself psyched up for workouts, espcecially when spring seems sooooooooooo far away. Good Luck!
2005-12-08 8:34 AM

User image

New user

brooklyn, NY Park Slope
Last season was my first season for Triathlons, all but 1 were olympic. I started training in December toward an april 3rd 1st timer race. Like you I had a kid, put on too much weight for the next 2 years. Looked at myself in the mirror and said, this isn't right.

I think motivation comes from having a daily/weekly schedule right up to race day. At least that is what worked for me. I don't think anyone likes to get behind. Also, the workouts get longer in distance each week. So skipping workouts only makes the next ones more difficult. What you can't do is get far behind and then try to condense your distance increases into a shorter period of time. The only thing that happens then is injury. That is a garauntee. And its the trap almost every learning athlete will fall into. So make your schedule and let it motivate you. And stick to it. Because there may be times of injury and sickness that will put you behind a few days at a time. With that, there isn't a lot of time to be an unmotivated slacker!

Good luck. If your like a lot of us, you do one and then you are hooked. Maybe become a fanatic, and then in its your lifestyle... happened to me. I signed up to do 1, and ended up doing 5 by seasons end, and have recruited 2 old college buddies into the sport as well.

Attachments
----------------
Training Schedule.xls (17KB - 19 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Another first timer Rss Feed