United States
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 31m 28s
Overall Rank = 218/1600
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 35/93
Pre-race routine:

I went to bed early yesterday. got up, shower and ate a power bagel and a nice cup of coffee. I prepared myself some gatorade and sipped in the way to the race. I wanted to get there early so I could find a nice place to park and warm up... I found a nice parking spot, got out of my car and started to warm up
Event warmup:

I ran up and down for a little.... Got my juices going and chaged clothes. originally I was planning to wear my wife's tights, but I realize that they were going to be too hot. therefore I opted for a pair of shorts.... I went back into myc ar because I still had like another 25 minutes before the race.. I was listening to the radio and just went to back to sleep...
Run
  • 2h 31m 28s
  • 18.75 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Well... As I mentioned earlier, I wanted to get there early... which I did. I also warmed up really good and went to sleep in my car... I woke up at the sound of the start gun... Yes... I missed the national antemm and all that fun stuff... I got out of my car and started running... As soon as I crossed the starting line I also realize that I did not have a timing chip.... WTF.... how could I have forgotten such an important item. So i ran back, found the chip table, asked for my chip attached to my shoe and headed to the starting line again... ha ha.. I was laughing my butt off... I passed the starting line and the last runner was a couple of blocks ahead of me.... I started slow and the beauty of being dead last is that nobody is going to pass you.... nobody. I increase my cadence and started to gain on the people ahead. At the first mile marker they called the pace... 14:00 minute miles.... I was .. ok... this is going to be fun... I passsed a couple of friends and I chatted with them for a little bit, before resumming my run. I checked my watch and i did the first two miles in about 15 min... that is 7:30 per mile... that was a little faster than I wanted to run, so I decrease the speed and settled in a nice rithm. I also notice that everytime I will pass a mile marker I was a little faster than before, so for the entire run, I was going faster and faster.. It felt good...

I lapped my friends and again shuffle with them for about a minute or two... there were a couple of vans with music... and people were danceing there.. I stopped and decided to shake my butt a little... I had a great time...

When i reached the halfway, I was feeling great.... I increase my pace a little. The water stations were spaced everytwo miles... they only had water and cliff bars... I wanted some gatorade and the only gatorare I found was mostly colored water... (I guess they added tooo much water to the powder)... did not feel right. I had three gels and consumed them in the first half..... So I did my whole run with wter and three gels... I did not want to take a Cliff bar, but I did take half of a banana and some orages....

I enjoyed the race a whole lot... and the most important thing is that I finished strong... No regrets in respec to pacing.. If I can mantain that pace the day of my marathon I am looking at a new PR... yeaay....

they gave us medals and a shirt... not the greatest but what can i expect from a race that only cost $20.00 to enter?

What would you do differently?:

not fall asleep and remember to collect my chip before the start
Post race
Warm down:

warm down.. ran a little and grab a cup of apple cider witha bagel which i could not eat. Ate a banana and some oranges. Went to my car and inmediatelly changed clothes since I was soaked in sweat and I was getting cold.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing

Event comments:

A good race... but I think they should have had more water/gatorade stations. the shirts were cheap. I definitly would do this race again, but it would be great if they had more gatorade full streght and not the water down suff they were handing us.. It was nasty....

Last updated: 2005-12-11 12:00 AM
Running
02:31:28 | 18.75 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 35/93
Overall: 218/1600
Performance: Good
Course: three laps around SugarLand subdivisions... Pretty nice course... Lots of volunteers and lots of people cheering us on.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-12-11 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
San mateo California
Subject: Houstonian Lite 30K
This was a great race... I enjoyed a whole lot.    No other Bt'ers...   :(

Edited by velasqu7 2005-12-11 4:41 PM

2005-12-11 4:35 PM
in reply to: #303354

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-12-11 6:26 PM

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Houstonian Lite 30K

Luis..you are such a running STUD!  8:05 pace with no specific training? Marathon PR is for sure going to happen!!  The thing is, napping is good. But not before a race. After, yes. Before, no. Got it? OK, next. You didn't mention what you were listening to on the radio. Opera? Or maybe some 50 Cent? Or "All I Want For Christmas Is You"?

I am wondering a few other things as well: what is so cheap about the tshirt? The material? Or the design? What would you suggest they do to improve it? And what kind of music were they playing when you stopped to dance?

Here is my thinking on running in tights: they are warm. They are not so cute. So I would say good call there.  Was the sun shining?  Any wind? Did you bring your nano with you?

One time I did this trail run. It wasn't well marked so we all got lost. There were only about 20 people doing the race. It was my first 1/2 marathon and ended up being more like 14.5 miles. Isn't that interesting? The reason I tell you this is because it was cold that day. Since it was the day after Xmas, I got to wear my new tights. And they were warm and toasty. But they really aren't very flattering. I had to wear my tights at Gasparilla last year as well. It was quite chilly that day.

But I digress....this is about you, after all. So I bet you had that same smile on your face that you did in PCB...that smile that lets the whole world know that there is nowhere you would rather be than racing your race at that moment. Racing is so much fun, isn't it? Going out there and seeing what your training has done for you...oh, wait...you didn't train for this...ummmm.....

OK, isn't it fun going out there and running 18.75 miles on little training and not push yourself at all and stop to dance and chat with your friends and run an 8:05 pace?  Yeah, I bet is is REALLY nice.

How many words is this?  Enough?  I can write some more, you know. I haven't even begun to discuss the drive home, the chicken, the work, the cappuchino...none of that. But I think this is enough. Or maybe this would have been enough:

Congrats on a great race Luis!!  You rock!!

2005-12-12 7:18 AM

Pro
Evanston,
Oh my goodness Luis, you are cracking me up. Jumping up out of the car and scrambling to the start, then back for the chip, then back to the race... this is too funny.

It was a blessing for you though because I know your personal favorite hobby, right up there with opera, is picking off the slower runners ahead of you. You had a large field to choose from!

I really look forward to celebrating that marathon PB with you and the rest of our BT friends on 1/15.
2005-12-12 12:12 PM

Master
Colorado
Dude, you rock! NICE race. Sounds like a great day.
2005-12-12 1:40 PM

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
WOW, You are Da Man!!!
If I had been there, you could of slowed down to talk to me as well, so by me not being there, I made you faster!
Great race, see next time.

2005-12-12 2:02 PM

Master
Savannah,
There are some people who have such a great outlook on things, nothing can ruffle their feathers...you are one of these! Great race and great story.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Houstonian Lite 30K Rss Feed