General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training books Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-10-15 8:46 AM

User image

athens, ga
Subject: training books
After a two month break I am finally back or getting back to training again. Does anyone know of any good books that give good training tips plus also has a great nutrition guide or great diet guide. i am looking for a guide of what things are good to eat how much to eat, you things like that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Freddy

It is great to be back!

2003-10-16 3:49 AM
in reply to: #1223

User image

Veteran
, Zurich
Subject: RE: training books
one of the best overall books out there is Friel's 'Triathletes Training Bible' It can get very involved, especially in the workout/season planning but there are some simple things to get going. it's one of the few books in the ol' tri geek library that I still seem to use quite often.

for more nutrition specific book, Eberle's 'Endurance Sports Nutrtion' is quite readable.

Scott
2003-10-19 6:54 AM

I am new to running and was guided to Jeff Galloway's books -- Marathon, and Galloway's Book on Running. I got the "Book on Running" and it has tips and workouts for beginner through advanced runners. I have problems with shin splints, and my plan is to use his plan of "walk/run" or "walk breaks" to strengthen my legs as well as learn to become a runner.
Nancy
2003-10-20 7:05 AM

User image

Central Louisiana
Get this free pdf book from hammergel. It has some good info and it is free to download.

http://www.hammergel.com/downloads/trisuccess.pdf

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-10-20 11:13 PM

User image

In regards to the swimming aspect of training- a friend passed one on to me that has helped me immensely
Total Immersion By Terry Laughlin
My swimming technique/efficiency has improved by leaps and bounds in a short time by applying his techniques. If you have been swimming for a long time it is apparently harder to change the muscle memory but I am very green so I have adapted fairly easily.
Good luck and good on ya for getting back in the swing
Amber Dawn
2003-10-21 6:49 AM

Regular
Springfield, Ohio
Subject: PDF Hammergel
Thanks Michael. Good info in the download. Especially for the price.
Neil

2003-10-21 9:13 AM

Atlanta, GA
I personally like "Triathloning for Ordinary Mortals" by Steven Jonas, Virginia Aronson, I am also reading "Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way to Swim Better, Faster, and Easier" by Terry Laughlin, John Delves. My wife read "Triathlons for Women" by Sally Edwards but said it is intended more for the ironman crowd than for beginners.
;-)
2003-10-21 9:55 AM

User image

Central Louisiana
A good motivational book is John Binghams "The Courage to Start". It is about running, but I think you would enjoy it.

Still Tri'n,
Michael
2003-10-22 5:10 PM

New user

San Diego, Ca
Heres one i just purchased and it is packed full of training programs for sprint tris to Ironman
also has a programs for people with limited time. Really an awesome book.
I just planed out my program for 2004 using it.
It has running swimming cycling and strength training programs.
and its very easily understood and adaptable to any level.
2003-10-25 7:01 AM

New user

San Diego, Ca
oops would help if i mentioned the book
Its "Training Plans for Multisports Athletes" by Gale Bernhart

my bad
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training books Rss Feed