General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another swim question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-27 9:32 PM

Subject: Another swim question
Wow! Just when I am wondering about something it seems everyone else is! I've gotten a lot out of the swim advice recently posted here. I have another question I would like help on.

It takes me about 100-200 yards to feel comfortable with my breathing. If I try to go too fast, until I get to that comfortable place, I feel like I'm drowning and can't even do one lap let alone 2 without stopping.

I have watched lots of swimmers. How do they enter the water and go flat out from the get go--I'm not talking about going fast--just feeling comfortable before I've dragged through the first 100-200 yds.

I appreciate everyone's advice.
Ginny

2004-04-27 11:22 PM
in reply to: #21646

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
Subject: RE: Another swim question
I don't! For me, the first few laps are as much a mental warmup as a physical one. Someone (who didn't know better) might look and think I was swimming efficiently, but I'm really not at my best. In fact, there are patterns within patterns for me. The first 2-3 laps are warming up. The next 16 are good -by my standards. Then, I really have to start thinking again. I'm getting more tired and have fallen out of that "flow" place. The work becomes mental and all about paying attention-again.

They make warm-up pools for Olympic athletes, so that they do this warm-up stuff where we don't see it -and they hit the race at their peak performance. I figure if they need to warm-up, odds are good that I need to, too.

Andrea
2004-04-28 10:00 AM

Tunbridge Wells, Kent
Hi Ginny,

I am considered to be a reasonably good swimmer and I always fell rough during the first 200metres. This is because your heart rate needs a little time to adjust to the demands you are making on it. As Andrea says, most swimmers get the chance to warm up before hand but as triathletes we need to use the start of the swim as our warm up. For me, the first 200 is my time to concentrate on a slow relaxed stroke, until I feel comfortable.

Tina
2004-04-28 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MN.
I agree with the warmup, take it slower the first few laps and then when you feel stronger start speeding it up. Another thing remember to breath deeply and exhale completely the while warming up, It helps get the oxygen to the muscles that need it to get acclimated to swimming, It is easy to just breathe a little from the start because you aren't winded yet but your body needs that good clean oxygen to warm up faster. I am not a fitness expert at all but this really seems to help my body. Al.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another swim question Rss Feed