General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Fitness to Biking Fitness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-29 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
Subject: Running Fitness to Biking Fitness
Newbie here, that is a long time runner, just about ready to wrap up training for my last marathon before I undertake becoming a triathlete. The question I have is how will my running fitness convert to biking. As some background for this current training cycle, I've been average between 50 and 55 miles a week for the last 8 weeks or so. What can I expect when I get on the bike? What kind of distances should I be looking to ride and at what pace. I know my pace should be based off my HR, but I'm more of a "feel" runner. Basically running my how my body feels. I don't really like to be a slave to my HRM. My goal is to do a couple of sprints and maybe an Oly at the end of the year.

Thanks
Chris

2004-04-29 11:52 AM
in reply to: #21933

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Subject: RE: Running Fitness to Biking Fitness
Generally, I think that running fitness translates well to biking fitness. However, if you are not accustomed to riding, you need to let your comfort level determine how far you can ride to begin with! I would submit that your fitness level would accomodate a much longer ride than your comfort level will. I would recommend about a 30 minute ride for your first foray into biking, and you might be surprised at just how sore your booty is after that. Then, you can build up from that into longer rides. Recall that your HR will be a little lower on the bike than on the run. However, as a "feel" cyclist, you should be able to gauge your effort level. Hope that helps.
2004-04-29 1:04 PM
in reply to: #21933

Champion
Subject: RE: Running Fitness to Biking Fitness
Yes, like Phil says, the fitness and aerobic conditioning will cross over well. The thing that will take the most adjustment is getting used to the riding position on the bike. Expect some discomfort from the saddle until you build up some toughness on your....er, ummm, affected area. You also may experience soreness in your neck muscles from looking down the road while bent over the handlebars. This will be even more of an issue if you ride with aero bars. And numbness in the heel of your hand from the pressure on the bars as well, can be relieved by wearing a good pair of padded cycling gloves.

Just starting out? I'd look at a couple of 10 mile rides to get into the swing of things, then build up to 20 or so. Try to refrain from pushing big gears at low pedal revolution rates. Keep your pedaling cadence above 70 rpm's and use your gears when climbing hills. After a half dozen rides, you feel like you are developing the bike-specific muscles. Listen to your body, keep your distance and speed at a sensible pace, one where you feel you are getting a workout, but could still chat with someone riding along beside you. Stick to roads that are sparsely trafficked if possible, so you don't have to add the anxiety of a constant stream of cars rushing past. Pick easy terrain, no sense adding the French Alps on the first couple of rides! And finally, don't finish the ride feeling like you just beat your head against the wall. You want to be excited to go out again the next time.

Max
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running Fitness to Biking Fitness Rss Feed