General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Caloric Intake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-17 8:01 PM

New user
Subject: Caloric Intake
I currently train at least one hour (sometimes two) per day, six days per week. For the past six months or more, it has been mostly running (training for a half-mary), but now includes swimming as well and cycling as weather permits. I've lost 50 pounds to date, but have hit a wall at 192. It seems as though when I am busy and cannot train as much, I lose a few pounds, but has soon as I hit it hard after 2 or 3 easy days, I gain it back. I am eating between 2,500 and 3,000 calories a day, following a diet in Eric Haar's book. Also, my bowel movements are very infrequent - maybe a good one every other day.

Could I maybe be not eating enough once more? I went through this before, and increased my calories, which nelped. If I eat anymore, I'll feel like I am constantly eating!! I already eat every three hours.

The reason I like Eric Haar's book is that it gives specific foods and amounts, rather than percentages of carbs, fats, and proteins.

2006-01-17 9:34 PM
in reply to: #326189

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Caloric Intake
Might not be so much a problem of how much you eat but of what and when you eat.  Do you use Fitday to log your nutrition?  If you make your log public we can look it over and maybe make some suggestions.
2006-01-18 8:35 AM

New user
No, not currently. But I will if someone is willing to look at it and give advice.

Breakfast (5:30am): (3) Strips low-fat turkey bacon
(1) Banana
(1/2) Cup Orange Juice
(1/2) Cup Grape Nut cereal
(1) Cup 1% Milk

Snack (8:30am): (2) Granola Bars
(1) Cup Low-fat yogurt

Lunch (11:30am): (3) ounces low-fat turkey lunchmeat
(2) ounces swiss cheese
(2) slices whole-wheat potato bread
(1) TBSP low-fat mayo
(1) Cup cantaloupe

Snack (2:30pm): (10) Almonds
(4) TBSP dried bananas
(1) Cup 1% milk

Workout is typically around 3pm, and is usually in the 1 1/2 hour range. Sometimes more,
sometimes less.

Dinner (5:30pm): Usually chicken breast with some rice or noodles. I do eat some ice cream
as well. My dinner is not as regimented, but I definitely don't over-do it.

Snack (8:00pm): Usually a little turkey, peanut butter, or piece of fruit.

Thanks in advance for any insight!!!!!!!!!
2006-01-26 8:14 PM

New user
I've started keeping logs on FitDay.

My username is Markg72 and password is 6363.

If anyone has time to check it out, any advice/opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, I don't know how to post a link.

Thanks in advance for helping a struggling triathlete!
2006-01-26 8:22 PM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.

Mark, first let me congratulate you on your good results and hard work. There's always someone here willing to help. That's what I love about this site. That and you can be a smart#@% on COJ, but only in good humor.

If I may ask some things to try to help. How tall are you and what is your age? Do you know your current %Body Fat or your BMI. Any other health issues. What is your weight goal and what timeframe are you working in?

Thanks, Russ

2006-01-26 9:20 PM
in reply to: #332851

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

Hi Mark-

No need to hand out your username and password to everyone...that gives us access to log foods for you at will   If you log in and click on the "home" link there should be a place towards the bottom where you can make your log public.  They will provide a link that you can give to people to view your log but not make any changes.

markg72 - 2006-01-26 9:14 PM I've started keeping logs on FitDay. My username is Markg72 and password is 6363. If anyone has time to check it out, any advice/opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, I don't know how to post a link. Thanks in advance for helping a struggling triathlete!

2006-01-27 12:09 AM

User image

Mark, I don't have much in the way of advice for how many calories you should take in.. but I did notice that your diet is very heavy in milk products. This would explain why you're not.. erm.. regular. You should only be having 2, maybe 3 servings a day. I usually stick with 1 or 2, as milk doesn't agree with me as well as it does with others. You might find that a reduction in dairy might kick start your sluggish system.. because when your plumbing is working well, the rest of you works better.
2006-01-27 7:08 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC

On the subject of regularity, when my son was first learning to eat solid foods, I learned from the MD's that regularity is affected by the amount of protein as well as fiber. Too high in protein can cause issues like you are describing. Milk and milk products are largely protein, so cutting them back certainly will help. Consider increasing fiber as well.

Finally, it's still a matter of calories in < calories out. Use Fitday to estimate your actual burn each day. Be careful with it, when i first started using it, it tended to over-estimate what I was really doing, but eventually I got it balanced. As you lose weight, the calories burned drops and intake must also go down to continue weight loss. It's possible that you actually need to adjust your calories downward.

2006-01-27 2:50 PM

New user
Hope this link works: www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?owner=markg72

I am 6'-0" tall and weigh 190/192. I have a large build, and muscular shoulders, arms and legs. But I can't lose the last few pounds of fat around my mid-section. I'd like to lose another 7 - 10 pounds. I don't know my BMI or %. No other health issues, except I am self-employed and have a stressful career.

Thanks for the help!
2006-01-31 3:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
Where are the vegetables, my friend? I see meager servings of fruit, but zippo on the veggies.

I see that you're trying to balance carbs and protein to fuel your workouts, but here's a thought: perhaps you are not giving your body the phytochemicals it needs for the recovery/rebuilding phase. The lower the quality of the calories you're eating, the more you have to eat -- that is, if you're eating 2000 calories of food that is pretty devoid of nutrients, your body will say, "gimme 3000!" and will sometimes hang on to excess weight at all costs. But, if you eat in a way that gives you the most nutritional bang for your caloric buck, you'll find that you recover faster, have less trouble staying within your caloric targets, and the weight will start to dissipate.

Ye olde "calories in vs. calories out" weight loss theory is bunk. It matters where the calories come from -- your body knows the difference.
2006-01-31 4:24 PM

New user
I know, I know! My Mother never made me eat my veggies, and my entire life I never have. I am very slowly getting started doing so - I ate broccoli for the first time in my life just this week. And carrots, as well. Other than potatos, corn, and recently lima beans, I have not eaten any other veggies. Fish is another thing I don't eat - nada, zilch.

I am really trying, and making headway on the vegetables. But I know I have a looong way to go. I've always loved fruits, however. The diet is one aspect of my lifestyle which is going to be the most difficult for me to change.

Thank you for the feedback! Keep it coming, folks.

2006-01-31 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
I understand about the veggies -- eating them certainly is a matter of habit (and your tastes do change over time, of course). What I have found is that people who think they don't like veggies have just never found amazing veggie recipes. I mean, if your only impression of fish was tuna straight out of the can, would you even think of eating smoked salmon? Maybe not.

My point is this: don't think that forcing yourself to eating plain jane steamed veggies is the only way to get them in. It's ok to make them taste good -- and it doesn't make them any less nutritious. You will eat vegetables, and you will like it!
2006-01-31 8:06 PM
in reply to: #335928

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

I agree with the previous poster.  Fruits and veggies are king.  Beans and potatoes don't count as veggies.  Beans are legumes and taters are starch.  We're looking for fresh colorful veggies...broccoli, asparagus, carrots, spinach, green beans...there are tons of options.  And fresh fruits...apples, pears, melons, bananas, mangos, oranges, grapefruit, berries, grapes...eat as much as you can get your hands on.  I eat a reasonable amount of carbs and the majority of it comes from fresh fruits and veggies.

markg72 - 2006-01-31 5:24 PM I know, I know! My Mother never made me eat my veggies, and my entire life I never have. I am very slowly getting started doing so - I ate broccoli for the first time in my life just this week. And carrots, as well. Other than potatos, corn, and recently lima beans, I have not eaten any other veggies. Fish is another thing I don't eat - nada, zilch. I am really trying, and making headway on the vegetables. But I know I have a looong way to go. I've always loved fruits, however. The diet is one aspect of my lifestyle which is going to be the most difficult for me to change. Thank you for the feedback! Keep it coming, folks.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Caloric Intake Rss Feed