General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Crazy Texans Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-10-20 1:05 PM

Subject: Crazy Texans
Somewhere in the midst of a trip to Roatan, Honduras, a group of crazy Texan chicks decided to train and finish a triathlon (how many of your posts start like this?)

We are all about researching and jumping in (literally) to start training - we are all mid twenties and pretty active in sports or exercise. Here's my question - how do find a triathlon to run? We definitely want to do a sprint race and want to HAVE FUN! But I can't seem to find a common calendar of registered events or a listing of triathlons and locations - can you help us?

We also need some words of wisdom on training schedules for beginners - we looked at the "starting from scratch" section but since most of us are pretty active, do we need to start that basic? Thank you soooooo much for your help - it's so fabulous to know that there are other people out there supporting the adventurous types that are scared about such an incredible event!

2003-10-20 1:39 PM
in reply to: #1319

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Crazy Texans
First you can find local races by using two of my favorite links active.com and signmeupsports.com almost all of the races in the TX, LA, AR, MS, AL, FL use these sites to sign you up for races and you can search by zip code, state or region.

As far as the training, everybody defines active a little differently. Look at the beginner program and start from there. Remember the 10% rule (don't up or increase your work out more than 10% on any given discipline.) You can increase areas that you need to. Remember that you may be really strong in one area and need to work to bring another around by your race. Maintain your strong area and work on your weaknesses.

I would start with the basic program and adapt it to your needs and current level of fitness.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-10-20 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1319

User image

Champion
Gold member

some great usa race calendars at the bottom of find_your_tri.  i am partial to http://www.trifind.com

if your pretty active, than your good.  look at the sprint tri program at sprint - 16mile total.  these r the final 13 weeks of training needed to get up to your event.  when u can do these then u are ready to start the final 13weeks. 

if a sprint is not enough mileage for u, double the sprint program and u have the olympic length - 32mile total.  double the first week of the sprint and that is where u need to be to start the final 13weeks to your olympic tri. 

SO...figure out what mileage is acheivable given the timeframe u have and make sure its good for all of the crazy texans THEN go to the calendar and pick your triathlon.

when building up in distance or duration, just make sure u follow the 10% rule that u read earlier at getting started.

we will be here if u need any ???'s answered.

...SO HOW MANY RACE REPORTS WILL WE EXPECT????

2003-10-21 7:12 AM
in reply to: #1321

We promise to keep the board updated - no matter if we're falling on our faces or kicking major tail (let's hope for the latter). I really appreciate all of your help and advice - we are really excited about getting into the training (please remind us of this in two months) and choosing a race! I think that for injury prevention's sake, we will attempt a sprint first. The olympic sounds way too advanced for us for right now. Plus, my girls might bail on me should I throw 32 miles at them

We'll keep you updated for sure - thanks again!

Liz, Crazy Texan Representative
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Crazy Texans Rss Feed