General Discussion Triathlon Talk » real purpose of a recovery drink? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-02-01 12:32 PM
in reply to: #336483

Elite
Laurium, MI
Subject: RE: real purpose of a recovery drink?
what gels have you tried? I've used both Hammergel and GU. Hammergel gave me a little of a boost/crash, but I have never had that happen with Gu. It was more like a gradual taper to a boost then slowing back down to my prerun condition.

Pureed dates, nutritionally, would be a good ingredient altho i think i could stomach Gu better. Ive never used honey for running, but when I used to do a lot of backpacking (before the days of gels, when the only energy bar was the origional powerbar) I'd eat honey like that. Seemed to work really well, but I did get sort of a boost/crash out of it. I don't know how it would have sat in my stomach if I were doing something more aerobic though.

2006-02-01 1:14 PM
in reply to: #332824

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
I've used Gu but can't stand the taste of it. I now use mostly Clif Shots, with the occasional Power Gel. I think Power Gels taste the best to me, but Clif Shots seem to be the least processed of the processed energy gels...if that even makes any sense! I'm thinking I will have to experiment with dates and honey and see what I can come up with. I'm sure there is info out there about what is in these gels, in what proportion, and why. Maybe others have even tried making their own -- I can't be the first one to hate them. I will do some research and maybe make some experimental gels for this weekend's workouts and see how it goes. Thanks for the info everyone!!
2006-02-01 1:57 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.

Element, I checked google and found this article: http://www.dirtragmag.com/web/article.php?ID=422&category=web_only and pasted the more important info about homemade gels below. I might have to go home and try this!

Home-brew power goop:

7 and 1/3 Tablespoons of Honey
3/4 teaspoons of Blackstrap Molasses
1/10 teaspoons (just shy of 1/8 tsp) of table salt

Be sure to mix everything together well, and it should make enough to fill a 5 serving GU flask.

This recipe works nicely. You may see some bubbles on the surface of this stuff, but that is just a natural occurrence of the molasses. One thing really nice is that neither honey nor molasses needs to be refrigerated, so you can keep it in your pocket all day, and even use it the following week. I probably wouldn’t go much past a week, but it should still be good.

The nutritional content approximates 25g carbs, 45mg sodium, 35mg potassium, with plenty of vitamins and minerals that you wouldn’t get with the store bought stuff. Another nice thing about the honey recipe is that it is all natural. Honey comes from bees that get nectar from flowers. Maybe you’ve passed a honeybee hive on a trail, and just maybe there was a bee in there making the honey that you are going to use on your next ride! Ok, that’s a stretch. Molasses is not actually any part of the four-legged mammal, but is refined from sugar cane. As Homer Simpson would say: “Mmmmm, suuuugggarrrrrr.” Salt comes usually from salt mines, but you could always buy “sea-salt” and use that. I suppose “sea salt” comes from the sea, but with truth in advertising at the current lows, who really knows.

My experiment did not end at just the plain ol’ goop. It was still raining out, so I thought back to something I read somewhere about a 4 to 1 carb to protein ratio. I guess that is supposed to be a good thing (Thanks Martha Stewart), so I made a recipe for that too.

Honey goop with a protein kick:

6 Tablespoons of Honey
5/8 teaspoons of Blackstrap Molasses
6 and 3/8 teaspoons of Soy Protein Isolate
1/16 teaspoons of salt
1-3 Tablespoons of water

Mix everything together in a cup, add water as needed to develop a nice ‘goopable’ consistency. Makes 5 servings.

I tried out some of this at the DINO 12-hour race, and it worked pretty well. The Soy protein gives it a nice kick. I wouldn’t leave this one in the sun for too long though. Not that I’ve had any moss growing in it, but I would probably try to keep this one fresh.

Well now that my work is done, and I’ve freed the masses from cookie cutter carb-gels I would like to say that this in not the end, but merely the beginning. Yes, because these are just my recipes, and like the open source code of Linux, they are open for improvement and personalization. I haven’t even started on anything with caffeine, but I imagine that you could substitute some espresso in for the water, or get wild with some ground up ginseng supplements.

There is also the issue of flavoring. Could normal coffee flavoring work, perhaps mix in some flavored Jell-O, or Kool-Aid mix. Or stay all natural and mix in some lemon or orange zest. How about a jalapeno or two? The possibilities are endless. For now I’m going to step aside and let the great mountain bike forum come up with improvements. Until then I’ll be dissecting that recovery powder stuff. Hmmmm, I wonder how that stuff compares to Cheez-its and Miller High-Life?

–Derek Nolek

2006-02-01 2:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
Oh this is great info! Thanks so much! I will definitely be trying this on the weekend. I imagine that you could flavor these with just about anything (that you dried and powdered, I guess). I will let you know how all the experiments go...in another thread, so as not to hijack this one further.
2006-02-01 4:08 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
great suggestions, stephanie. we have all those ingredients. hassle factor may prevail on this one (see post above about being jumped by my kids as soon as i'm done working out), but its nice to have options and experiment.

i have a couple recipes from 'the fitness cookbook' for energy bars and some really good sounding muffins that are full of all sorts of good things and can be frozen. still, eating after a workout is still tough. a small amount of fruit, a date or two, etc. may try fig newtons, and get the organic newman kind, since they are recommended in 'sports nutrition for the endurance athlete'. both books really push for real food, and supplimental sports food only as needed.

i also only use clif shots, for the same reason as kristi mentioned. i've tried gu and a few others, but the ingredient lists were too long and wierd. i've also tried the stingers and really like them for long bike rides, but for running they didn't sit well. stingers are the only shot my husband will use, since he's a bagel on the bar end kind of guy. as mentioned above, i'm also using the clif shot drinks, which are made with simple, organic ingredients and is even colored with tumeric instead of artificial colors (then again, why do they need a color at all?)

oh, and dates are awesome - too awesome! i bought some for recovery and we're all snacking on them!
2006-02-01 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
Autumn,

My dh loves the whole wheat Fig Newmans for both pre- and post-workout snacks. Our little market also has another whole grain, organic brand that makes the newtons in different flavors, his favorite of which has raspberries mixed in with the fig filling. It's basically like a not-so-bad-for-you raspberry jam cookie. Now there's an energy gel flavor...raspberry jam cookie....mmmmmm!

2006-02-02 7:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Thanks for the thread folks! Very interesting....I just posting a thread about being tired all the time, and I wonder if not recovering properly has something to do with it. Hmmm, within a 1/2 hour of hard workouts, huh? Thanks!!!
2006-02-02 12:10 PM

User image

Master

I think most people use drinks because it is easy... I go to the pool early, swim a Hr, get out, shower, change for work, pull my cup with powder alredy in it out of gym bag, fill it up at the fountain and drink on the way to work... quick easy and better than the "other" crap I could slam down in a hurry.

2006-02-02 12:17 PM
in reply to: #337058

Elite
Laurium, MI
Sassafras - 2006-02-02 6:18 AM

Thanks for the thread folks! Very interesting....I just posting a thread about being tired all the time, and I wonder if not recovering properly has something to do with it. Hmmm, within a 1/2 hour of hard workouts, huh? Thanks!!!

I was getting like that too. Part of it was my body adapting to working out 2+ hours a day. The other thing that really helped was not so much recovery drinks, but proper nutrition before working out. When I started incorporating gels into my workouts (eat one with a splash of water before heading out), it started making a world of difference. I also started the recovery drinks around this time too, so I'm sure they helped as well.
2006-02-02 12:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
Did a little experiment yesterday and today...

Easy run yesterday evening, which was preceeded by eating 2 dates and a cup of water.
Medium intensity swim this morning, which was preceeded by eating 1 strawberry Clif Shot (contains caffeine) and 1 cup of water.

Now, here's what I find interesting: normally an evening workout, regardless of the discipline, is easier for me than an AM workout. I have always attributed this to my body being more awake and having the benefit of good nutrition all day long. However, this morning's swim felt quite a bit easier than last night's run. I wonder if the gel had something to do with it?

Granted, there are other factors. I slept more last night than the night before, and maybe I was just more into the swim workout. But the gels really do perk me up -- I get a noticeable boost. In fact, before an AM workout, I often eat the gel IN BED in order to wake up -- then suddenly I find I have the energy to get going.

So what is in these gels and energy drinks? What is the magic ingredient that is apparently not present in dates? I'm fascinated by this issue.
2006-02-02 1:02 PM
in reply to: #337346

Elite
Laurium, MI
that experiment probably had too many variables to be an accurate result....but I do notice the same thing when I compare workouts with Gels to workouts without Gels.

I think the big thing is lots of dextrose with low fiber. So all that glucose goes right into the blood stream

2006-02-02 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Interesting. Thanks for the fig newton tip, Autumn. I'll definitely have to get some. It's been a while since I've had that healthy "cookie."  This is all so interesting! I'm hoping to try that goop recipe I found over the weekend. I'll let y'all know how it tastes, and if my dog will eat it. I'm pretty sure my husband won't...

Edited by watergirl 2006-02-02 2:32 PM
2006-02-02 5:36 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
its funny - i don't like gels, drinks, recovery drink for swim workouts. i'm SO hungry for real food that i have an apple right away (well, after a shower, dressing, etc). when i get home, i want a baked potato. this is pretty consistent for evening swims. for morning swims, i'll have half a clif bar ahead of time so i don't bonk, but then its an apple and then a big bowl of cereal with bananas.

for running and biking (well, sessions on the trainer, anyway), i can't deal with food for a while afterwards. even going into a workout too soon after a meal will cause problems. this is where the clif drink comes in really handy. i love that stuff. it seems to work better for me than the shots even, although i know i'll eventually be using both for my long runs and rides and races.

this morning i did an hour on the trainer w/ some clif electrolyte drink, then afterwards i mixed up the recovery stuff and sipped on that as i stretched and did some weight training. i felt SO good afterwards that i was dancing around the basement! had plenty of energy the rest of the day and has no urges to binge on crap like i did yesterday.
2006-02-02 5:52 PM
in reply to: #337688

Elite
Laurium, MI
which recovery stuff do you use? The Cliff recovery drink?
2006-02-02 7:07 PM
in reply to: #337701

User image

molto veloce mama
yup. mango-orange.
2006-02-03 11:41 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Autumn, I'm with you on the swim - I tried gatorade during a swim recently and realized that I'm hydrated enough from water beforehand. And unless I swim for a really, really long time, I don't like to take very long breaks - like long enough to dry off my hands to open a gel. So, with the recovery drink, do you just carry the powder around with you or what?

2006-02-03 2:33 PM
in reply to: #338213

User image

molto veloce mama
i do all of my workouts from home - either in the basement on the trainer, or running in our neighborhood. i just mix it up when i'm done. i'm thinking of getting some of the packets of the powder to have for after races, and will keep a few in my race bag. actually, i think i have some other drink packets from last year that i'll have to use up first.

this morning after my short run, i didn't use any drink. i thought i'd have plenty of time to shower and get dressed and have breakfast before the 30 minute recovery window had closed. ended up taking me 45 minutes! i wasn't too worried about it, since i don't think its as big a deal for shorter workouts, but it made me realize how truly convenient the drinks are.
2006-02-11 6:30 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
The main purpose of a recovery drink, like Gatorade is to get glucose back into the muscles.  Research shows that getting glucose back into the system within 30minutes  of exercise is best.  And a drink like Gatorade has the optimal mixture of CHO for rapid digestion.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » real purpose of a recovery drink? Rss Feed  

of 2