General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1 1/2 weeks..starting to stress about the swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-12 2:10 PM

Subject: 1 1/2 weeks..starting to stress about the swim
My sprint tri is coming up on 5/23 and the swim is starting to scare me today. I'm just flat out not a strong swimmer. I've been doing masters swims 1-2 times a week the past couple of months and I get by usually in the slow lane all the way to the right with my zoomers. The workouts are an hour and probably total about a mile in sets. I just worry can I do it? have I trained enuff? Will I get by with no wall to stop, grab or push off of every 25 yards? I've got a way too expensive wetsuit which I tried out last weekend in a clinic and I guess I did ok but I still felt very labored in the short swim up the shore line. Everyone said I did fine. I go from confident to concerned to freaked.

I'm doing an on site clinic this Saturday hopefully I'll get a better idea of what I'll be up against.

I'm a bit frazzled....I want to leave work NOW and hit the pool and try to swim 1000m non-stop to see if I can.

ACK!!!! Sorry just had to vent my stress.

Thanks

2004-05-12 2:41 PM
in reply to: #24489

Subject: RE: 1 1/2 weeks..starting to stress about the swim
What's the distance you've been practicing? What's the distance for tri swim in 1 1/2 weeks? Is it open water? Try to calm down, take a deep breath, and rely on your training. As was posted earlier, make sure you have a "survival stroke" and an alternate plan if you panic. Two weeks ago, I freaked out a little and had to tread water and let two people pass me, then I got back to it. Just relax and have a good time.
2004-05-12 2:50 PM

The tri is only 1/2 mile. It's in open water but it's in a bay/lagoon.

I haven't really be practicing a given distance. I just go to the swim and do the sets the coach tells us to do for an hour, be it 4 X 150 or 6 X 100 or whatever. I haven't spent a lot of time in the pool at my gym frankly cuz it's almost always full when I go and I'm really not confident enough to want to share a lane with multiple peolple at this point.

I guess that is where I get a little stressed cuz I haven't worked the distance much so I have no idea if my training will be enough.

I think I'll get up early and hit the gym and see how I do with 1000 yard straight thru.

Or maybe even later tonight......

Thanks for your help.

2004-05-12 2:56 PM

User image

Regular
Romeoville, IL
I think you have the right idea, just do that long swim several times in the pool and then at least when you hit the open water you'll know you can definitely do the distance. Even try tacking on an extra 200yds to that 1000 just so you know that 1/2 mile (only 880 yds) will be a cinch. then you'll only have to get over the open water shock.
2004-05-12 3:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
I would also do a couple of swims at your gym with the other people around. It should help you get used to swimming around other people because they'll be around during your race.

Also, give yourself permission to swim slowly, breast stroke, or tread water if you need to during your race. You'll do fine.
2004-05-12 3:24 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Craig--

I really think you are going to be ok. (Breathe in, breathe out). I do agree, have a survival stroke--whether it's breast stroke or treading--something to do in case you overload. If you haven't had much experience with a wave start (lots of people), try to swim toward the back of the pack and a bit to the side.

We know you can do it, Craig! You've done the training, you've worked hard.

Embrace the practice sessions you have ahead of you, but don't push right up to the day of the race. Let your body rest before the race day. An extra session 1 or 2 days before your race will NOT ensure a better race, it won't add to your stamina. It will only take away from it.

And then, when you finish your race on Sunday, run back here and let us know how it went!

Dana

2004-05-12 4:50 PM

Thanks Dana and everyone else for the encouragement. I did a spin class at lunch so I'm back centered.

I think it's just been too long since I've swam the measured distance.

I'm gonna do my 1000 yd swim tonight or tommorrow and see how it goes and I've got the open water clinic on Saturday as well. My survival stroke is to tread. That was what I discovered last weekend that I can tread almost effortlessly if I get tired in my wetsuit.

Thanks again

Craig
2004-05-12 11:55 PM
in reply to: #24549

User image

Veteran
Owen
I think it's a great idea to do a strait 1000 for a confidence builder. If you can do that the 1/2 mile should be no problem. Relax, good luck and have fun in your race.

mindy
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1 1/2 weeks..starting to stress about the swim Rss Feed