Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2006-08-19 9:58 PM
in reply to: #368730

User image

Regular
Madison, WI USA
Subject: RE: IM Wisconsin Training Begins
I have not heard anything but I would be game. I live here and could probably help set something up (maybe with BadgerIronMan). Anyone interested? I think BadgerIronMan is driving people around the bike course sometime (saw some mention somelace). I could do this also. Let me know if anyone coming into town needs anything, I'll see what I can do.

2006-08-20 8:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dana Point, California

I suggest that we meet and grab a table together at the Friday night Welcome Banquet.  Likely, everyone will go to this event, and it is the easiest way to hook up.  Why don't we start a list of BT'ers that are interested.  Zaboo....are u willing to be the coordinator? 

We can go into the banquet room first thing when the doors open and "grab" a big table....

Lar Dog

2006-08-20 5:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
Sounds like a great plan...Maybe we should get two tables depending on the number who want to sit together. I believe they are tables of 10. I can get there early and help grab a couple of tables.

Also, Lardog and I are doing a tour of the bike course. I've got two seats left on the "tour bus"! If anyone wants to meet up for lunch Friday afternoon, let me know.

Mike
2006-08-20 5:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dana Point, California

So far the list is:

Mike (Mr. Hospitality) Bender

Larry (Lar Dog)  Davidson

who wants to cut/paste and keep the list growing?

2006-08-20 6:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
Make sure to put the number of chairs you need as well...
2006-08-20 7:42 PM

User image

Regular
Madison, WI USA
I'm in for two chairs.

Brook (Zaboo) Anthony & Mrs. Zaboo (Meg)

The list is then:

Mike (Mr. Hospitality) Bender
Larry (Lar Dog) Davidson
Brook (Zaboo) Anthony & Mrs. Zaboo (Meg)

2006-08-21 6:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lenexa, KS
I'll be there.

Mike (O2BFast) Bland

Just me (1 seat). Sounds like a great opportunity.

2006-08-21 7:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Hannon, Ontario
Sounds great - looking forward to it! Count me in for 1 seat.

Rob Turnbull aka Ironbubba
2006-08-21 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
Mt. Morris, IL

NCCGrap (Ryan Dannhorn) is in for 2 chairs!

2006-08-21 10:00 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

I am so pumped for this, you guys!  I can;t wait to cheer for you. I'll be volunteering at the Run Aid station / State & Lake / 3pm - 7:30pm.

This weekend I drove all over the place (babysitting duties) and there were tons of riders out, I beeped and hollered my head off at at least 10 diff training groups each day. everyone was smiling and pumping fists. I can FEEL the energy in the air around here. Rest, boys, feed your machines, and GET PSYCHED to become IRONMEN!

2006-08-21 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dana Point, California

This is the list of BT'ERs who plan to get together at the Friday night welcome banquet.   Mike is going to go in and grab chairs when the doors open.  Please "add" your name to the list below if you plan to join us:

"The list so far"

Mike (BadgerIronMan) Bender

Larry (Lar Dog) Davidson

Brook (Zaboo) Anthony

Mrs. Zaboo (Meg)

Mike (02BFast) Bland

Rob (IronBubba) Turnbull

Ryan (NCCGrap) Danhorn

2006-08-21 12:26 PM
in reply to: #517342

User image

Regular
Madison, WI USA
possum - 2006-08-21 10:00 AM

I am so pumped for this, you guys! I can;t wait to cheer for you. I'll be volunteering at the Run Aid station / State & Lake / 3pm - 7:30pm.

Possum, thanks for volunteering. I can't tell you how GREAT it will be to see you there. At that location, at that time!!
2006-08-24 12:55 AM

Hey guys:

Pumped about getting our numbers tomorrow. Just a couple questions-

1) With swimming, are there any stops. Like a platform in the lake where I can stop to get water or just rest for a sec?

2) I have my family coming to see the IM. I know everyone will gather at the Monoma terrace at swim start but where should I send them to find me later on in the race? Like ideal spots? I was looking thru Stu's video for spots.

3) Do the IM officials keep track of our progress realtime? Like people can ask them if we're still alive and at what stage?

4) Do the rest stops have Gu in the biking stages? How does the water thing work out? Like if we need to refill, can we throw them our empty bottles and they toss new and filled ones to us? Or do we need to stop and hand them our bottles and they fill them up?

5) I wasn't sure what to bring other than Gu and some Ensure to mix into my sports drink. Any suggestions for nutrition on biking and running?

6) Anyone nervous and anxious? Can't wait to be in Madison 7:00 in the Lake.

Thanks
-J
2006-08-24 7:35 AM
in reply to: #520412

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
freakingzooming - 2006-08-24 12:55 AM
5) I wasn't sure what to bring other than Gu and some Ensure to mix into my sports drink. Any suggestions for nutrition on biking and running?

Hopefully you've been practicing your nutrition plan during your long bikes and runs the past couple of months. Frankly, its getting a little late to be thinking about it now. Have you trained with Ensure? It has a fair number of fat and protein calories and I'm not sure you're going to want to drink it during the actual race. And I'm REALLY not sure you want to MIX it with a sports drink - yuck.

I always drink 2 bottles of Ensure at about 2 AM the morning prior to a race - that gives time to adequately digest the liquid meal - and it really is a meal. If you haven't tried it during training you should go with something more digestible during the race (Infinit, HEED, Gatorade Endurance, etc). They will offer Gatorade Endurance on the course, so in the next week or so you may want to buy some and see how you like it during training. Again, its getting late to be trying to figure this out for an IM, but you have a couple of weeks to put a plan together. Check out:

http://www.coachgordo.com/gtips/nutrition_body_composition/ironman_...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

They'll have GU at aid stations. Download the athlete information guide from the website and it explains everything they will offer at aid stations. It should answer some (but not all) of your other questions above. Good luck and let's hope for decent weather.
2006-08-24 8:53 AM
in reply to: #520412

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
freakingzooming - 2006-08-24 12:55 AM

Hey guys:

Pumped about getting our numbers tomorrow. Just a couple questions-

1) With swimming, are there any stops. Like a platform in the lake where I can stop to get water or just rest for a sec?

2) I have my family coming to see the IM. I know everyone will gather at the Monoma terrace at swim start but where should I send them to find me later on in the race? Like ideal spots? I was looking thru Stu's video for spots.

3) Do the IM officials keep track of our progress realtime? Like people can ask them if we're still alive and at what stage?

4) Do the rest stops have Gu in the biking stages? How does the water thing work out? Like if we need to refill, can we throw them our empty bottles and they toss new and filled ones to us? Or do we need to stop and hand them our bottles and they fill them up?

6) Anyone nervous and anxious? Can't wait to be in Madison 7:00 in the Lake.

Thanks
-J

1) No place to rest on or get water, but if you need to take a break just go wide and float on your back. Your wetsuit will keep you afloat w/o any effort.

2) They can take a bus out to Verona for the bike, but they'll only see you twice. Verona does have a festival at the same time so that might be fun for them. Since this is my third attempt, my wife is just watching the swim and meeting me back at T2. Remember, it's a long day for them as well especially not knowing how you are doing or where you are at. On the Run, state street is the best place as they can see you multiple times and it's a short walk to the finish.

3) I'm not sure whether Ironmanlive.com posts all the timing mat checks. There is a mat in crossplains on the bike in case a train crosses during your ride.

4) Bike aid stations will have Gu, fruit, water, and Gatorade endurance. Water and Gatorade come in plastic bottles (not bike bottles) so you just grab and go. If you need to mix something, just grab what you need and pull to the side of the road past the aid station. Also, if you come in "hot" (e.g. too fast), just go to the end of the aid station and yell for something. All the volunteers will be happy to help.

5) I agree w/ Birkie...you should have this dialed in by now. If you don't, don't sweat it and go w/ what you've done in training!
2006-08-24 9:47 AM
in reply to: #517342

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
possum - 2006-08-21 10:00 AM

I am so pumped for this, you guys! I can;t wait to cheer for you. I'll be volunteering at the Run Aid station / State & Lake / 3pm - 7:30pm.

This weekend I drove all over the place (babysitting duties) and there were tons of riders out, I beeped and hollered my head off at at least 10 diff training groups each day. everyone was smiling and pumping fists. I can FEEL the energy in the air around here. Rest, boys, feed your machines, and GET PSYCHED to become IRONMEN!

Possum...You Rock!!!

Thanks for helping out...We have been a bit worried that we wouldn't have enough volunteers for that aid station, though we always do

For those that are unfamiliar with the State & Lake aid station, it is the largest aid station on the run since it gets 2 way traffic (aid on both sides of the street). It's run my tri group, HeadHunter Multisport. This year, we plan to have lots of encouraging volunteers, a sound system kickin out tunes, and maybe we'll have an MC like last year calling out names and numbers of racers. Look for it as an "oasis of inspiration" when you need it. It will be rockin till the last runner comes through!!

2006-08-24 10:19 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

My cycling club, Capitol Velo Club, has joined the Headhunters for that aid station, so it should be OK. I met Dino Lucas when he came and helped us (CVC) out with a bike safety program in the Truax neighborhood- what a class act he is. I think I might have to join Headhunters next season!

The past 2 years I volunteered in Verona at the bike stop, and I have to say, it is a GREAT spot from which to spectate. The festival in Verona is really fun for kids, there's lots of activities and things to do, I will probably go down there first in the am to see the fast riders whiz by.

2006-08-24 4:12 PM
in reply to: #520515

Hey Birkierunner and Steve- thanks for the tips and advice. I've read thru the beginnertriathlete nutrition plan.

About my nutrition plan- I haven't used Ensure or Endurolyte or Gatorade Endurance. I eat Gu like once an hour on my long bike rides and try to finish a bottle of Gatorade each hour. It worked really well for me on my 100 miles bike ride. I'm going to try to buy some E-cap stuff and also Infinit.

Thanks again guys. Can't wait till the big day.

J

2006-08-24 10:20 PM

User image

Regular
IM Nutrition is a very personal issue based on what works for you (and has been field-tested prior to the event).

I always thought eating a ham/cheese sandwhich on the bike was "crazy" like some of the Tour de France guys. However, at IM races I like something substantial on the first bike loop, and my stomach tolerates it well.

Like they say, one man's devil is another man's angel.

LOL.

"I bonked and I ain't felling too good".

Edited by HammerheadNY 2006-08-24 10:22 PM
2006-08-25 9:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dana Point, California

It has been said over and over again....field test whatever you plan to use.  Suggest you do it tomrrow (assuming you are riding your bike tomorrow).  NOTHING NEW on race day!!!

I believe more people get in trouble because they "over do" their calorie intake.  Per the previous post....it is different for everyone. 

2006-08-26 9:12 AM

User image

Regular
Madison, WI USA
Hey, Do you need tickets for the Welcome banquet and if so how do you get them? Also, is this something to bring the spouse to?

2006-08-26 10:12 AM

User image

Expert
Mt. Morris, IL
Anyone ridding the course on Sunday 8/27?  I am going to try to get up there to get a loop in so maybe I will see you there. 
2006-08-26 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
All athletes get into the banquet/events w/ their wrist band. If you need to bring others, you can purchase tickets at registration.

2006-08-28 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
Mt. Morris, IL

Had my first ride on the "Official corse" and it was amazing!  The hills are not as bad as many made them out to be (I was going to change my casset) so I was happy about that.  It is never flat for long, but personally I like that.  The views are amazing (too bad I won't be looking around during the race) and road surfaces were good with many roads just paved.  I am jealous of those who get ride this course or even in the general area on a regular basis. 

Hope everyone is healthy and ready to go, not long now!

2006-08-28 6:35 PM

hey Has anyone gotten their race #s? My friend is going to be getting to Madison on September 8th, late afternoon. Can I register for him? Thanks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Wisconsin Training Begins Rss Feed  

of 8