United States
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 56m 27s
Overall Rank = 722/1200
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30am started drinking a bottle of water. Dressed in tri suit and had oatmeal, half a banana and a cup of coffee. Continued to drink water until heading off for transition area around 6:15am
Event warmup:

Arranged transition area and went for a short run before hitting the restroom again. Got wetsuit on and headed for the swim atart area around 7:45am. Took a short swim and observed that the tide was quite low which meant that the shore was dotted with numerous large rocks and "drop-offs". Headed back on shore to watch earlier waves go off. Took another quick dip in ocean a few moments before my wave start at 8:40am
Swim
  • 25m 11s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

Initially I felt I was doing well. I thought I was out ahead of a number of people in my age group and even started passing some of the earlier age groups. Had some difficulty swimming straight but the buoys were very large with big balloon on top so that helped. Was able to "draft" off others a couple of times but would quickly lose them by veering off to the right or left. Got thumped a few times. Also forgot much of the mechanics of my swim stroke that I had been working on as I struggled to swim straight. My biggest weakness was the return to shore after rounding the last buoy. I was so afraid of getting tossed by one of the many big waves that were rolling in, I actually headed back a few times. This cut into my finish time quite a bit.
What would you do differently?:

Swim short distances with my eyes closed to get a better "feel" for swimming straight. Also spend more time body surfing to improve the return swim and get a better feel for the ocean.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

Overall I was pleased with T1.

Would like to be able to step into shoes while riding to save the time of putting them on. My bike shoes are very difficult to get on so this would probably require new shoes.
Bike
  • 53m 51s
  • 15 miles
  • 16.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall I felt pretty good about my ride. My avg. and top speeds are as high as they have been and I passed quite a few riders. This really boosted my confidence.

More hill training and intervals. I was going as fast as my "engine" would go, but could go much faster with better training. A new bike wouldn't hurt either! The bikes that did pass me were generally VERY nice/expensive bikes.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

This transition went fairly quickly. However, the transitions were not timed, so I am guestimating both T1 and T2

Nothing.
Run
  • 30m 25s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

About to complete my first triatlon, I was feeling awesome at this point! I was on top of the world and enjoying every moment of my run -- chatting with other runners, giving a thumbs up to all the volunteers! For quite a while I ran alongside and chatted with a guy named Mario who was in a wheelchair. At some point we hit an incline and he slowed down, so I did too as we kept chatting. At some point I remember I was in a RACE! I started to pick up the pace a little but was enjoying our conversation. He noticed I was conflicted and told me to go ahead -- he'd catch up. I took off up the hill, rounded the loop and started sailing back down the hill. Shortly afterward, here comes Mario flying past me cheering me on! It was just the best. Not long after that, I could see the finish line in sight. As I approached I could hear my friends and family cheering me on. What a feeling! I ABSOLUTLELY LOVED MY FIRST TRIATHLON EXPERIENCE!

Now that I have my first race and all the great memories that go with it under my belt, I can get a little more serious about my times. I ended the race with plenty of energy and felt I could have definately pushed harder -- especially on the run!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed the post race drink and tray that included a piece of bagel, half a banana and some strawberries. Drank a bottle of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My overexuberance with the prospect of completing a triathlon took my focus off the fact that I was racing -- especially by the time I got to the run. I was so in the moment and on top of the world, much of my training and technique went right out the window. Also my lack of confidence riding the waves back to shore on the swim portion.

Event comments:

What an awesome first race! I had such a blast and can't wait to do another! The race was well organized with plenty of support, and most of the other racers were very friendly and helpful.

Last updated: 2004-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:11 | 1000 meters | 02m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1200
Performance: Average
Suit: Ironman Instinct Wetsuit
Course: The waves were a bit larger than I expected and the tide was lower. Had to stop swimming a couple times on the way out as the water was too shallow to swim well. Even after clearing the major waves and rounding the first buoy there was a lot more movement of the water which affected my breathing a bit. On the swim in the waves were quite big and I was not adept at gauging the waves and using them to my advantage. Actually swam back a bit a few times to avoid getting pounded by a wave.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:00
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:53:51 | 15 miles | 16.71 mile/hr
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back with a loop repeat in the middle. About 5 rolling hills, one of them quite large. Combined with a strong headwind on the second loop made this a tough area.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:30:25 | 03.1 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Course heads out of T2 into a winding boardwalk along the ocean -- beautiful! Until you hit the steep hill back up to street level -- ouch! From there is was fairly level but for a couple of gradual hills that weren't too bad.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-05-24 10:49 PM

New user

Fullerton, CA
Subject: Carlsbad Triathlon

2004-05-24 10:59 PM
in reply to: #27006

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Subject: RE: Carlsbad Triathlon

Congratulations on a great race

2004-05-24 11:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Palisade, CO
Great race ! And super RR. You are hooked now!
2004-05-25 1:25 AM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
I loved your race report. Yeah, I emphasize with those "expensive" bikes passing you on the cycling leg. It seeemd I had plenty of those solid rear disks whiz by me too. It sounds like a freight train running you down. But now, I feel exactly the same as you, can't wait for the next one. Great accomplishment.
2004-05-25 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
Got to love those disk wheels. They sound like a freight train when they come up behind and pass you. But its music to my ears when I pass them!!! Woo Hooo

Great Race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carlsbad Triathlon Rss Feed