General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stem Length Question/Bike Fit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-18 11:31 AM

New user

Subject: Stem Length Question/Bike Fit
I'm looking to purchase a Profile Design Carbon X integrated aerobar setup but they only come in two stem lengths (100 and 120). I ride a 110. What is the best decision? Go shorter (the 100), extend the aerobars for a personalized fit or go long (the 120) and pull in the aerobars to fit me better. I'm 6'0" and ride a 56 QR Kilo. The worry I have about the shorter stem is that my knees will hit the base bar when I'm out of my seat climbing. The worry I have about the longer stem is that I've felt overextended (couldn't get out "over the aerobars") when I used to have a 120 stem on my bike (its what came with the bike); but that was when my aerobars were not adjustable (vs the Carbon X bars are adjustable). I could use any advice someone has on this topic.

Thanks

2006-04-18 11:49 AM
in reply to: #399100

User image

Subject: RE: Stem Length Question/Bike Fit
I don't know much about the adjustability of those bars, but it seems to me that the pad-positioning should be your primary concern here, assuming that you spend most of your time in the aero position and not on the "hoods."

You will probably be able to adjust the bars to achieve the same overall reach with either setup, but the fore/aft adjustability of the pads may be a limiting factor if you have unusually long or short forearms.

The only other concern is your position out on the hoods. Were you too stretched out with the previous 120 stem when riding the hoods, or only when you tried to ride on the aerobars? If the 120 stem felt ok on the hoods before, I would probably go with this one, as the adjustability of the new bars will probably still allow you to find a good aero position (assuming the pads are fore/aft adjustable and you can get them into a comfortable position). The hood position isn't adjustable. Of course you also have to take into account how far forward the brake hood position is relative to to the front stem centerline measurement compared to your old setup....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stem Length Question/Bike Fit Rss Feed