General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My hip flexor hurts bad. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-19 3:28 PM

New user
Subject: My hip flexor hurts bad.
I think I have over done it on the bike. My left hip flexor hurts real bad whenever i bring my knee up towards my chest. It does not hurt when i run or cycle or walk. It is the worst getting in and out of my car because I have to raise my knee to get my leg in. I have restarted a stretch routine, I recently changed my running routines and havent kept up on the stretching.
Should i begin strength training on the flexor's as soon as the pain subsides, is this a common occurance with cycling. I am new to the cycling.

2006-04-23 12:07 PM
in reply to: #400577

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
Subject: RE: My hip flexor hurts bad.

Sorry to hear this.  Mine hurts, too, but not from cycling.

Getting out of bed and out of cars is the worst!! 

I got my injury about 2 days ago likely from a running and core workout combo that just strained something in my L-hip flexor tendon.

I called a triathlete friend of mine and he suggested only rest and heat for now till pain subsides, then work on range of motion recovery (with movements like hip swings...unthinkable now, but likely not a problem later), stretching the area gently, and strengthening with front and side leg lifts using either ankle weights or lightly weight cables. We'll see how it goes, but I'm expected a few weeks of work to get it fully recovered. However, I really would like to run on it again sooner than that -- I just refuse to run through pain, and don't suggest that you do anything that causes you pain either. R & R is the key.

Good luck -- I feel your pain...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My hip flexor hurts bad. Rss Feed