General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Tri-ing again Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-11-10 11:19 AM

New user

Dallas, Tx
Subject: Tri-ing again
Hello everyone. My name is Paige and I live in Dallas, TX. I am about to turn 32 years old. I trained in the spring of 2003 for the Capital of Texas Triathlon in Austin that took place last May, however I injured my back just one month before the event and was unable to do it. I was very upset, but many people have told me that it's very common for people to injure themselves when training for something for the first time. So, here I go again. My goal is to actually get to do the Capital of Texas Tri in May 2004. This time, I started the training process earlier (actually I just started 2 weeks ago) and slower. I now know just how very important strengthening exercises are as well as stretching, stretching, and more stretching. I also know that it's very helpful to have a training partner. So, if there is anyone out there in the Dallas area who is interested in helping me train, I'd certainly appreciate the company. Last year, I did the training through the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team In Training program. This year, I'm on my own. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck to everyone on their individual events and God bless.

2003-11-10 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1669

User image

Walla Walla, WA
Subject: RE: Tri-ing again
Good luck to you. I personaly know what it's like to get robbed of a race. I crashed my bike and fractured my pelvis right before my season started last year (my fault....I ran a stopsign). Fortunatly I'm all in one piece again and back to my training, but last summer was not fun at all. Good luck, and keep us posted. Don't hesitate to ask the forum for advice.
-Sam
2003-11-10 3:32 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

hey...just listen to your body...take a ez week once a month where u have a 30-50% decrease in training.  don't violate the 10% rule.  i am looking to do a lot more better stretching too...'power yoga' is, i guess, specifically for athletes.  i'm gonna check this out.  the recommender mentioned that all her injuries stopped after doing power yoga.  who knows?  i'll let u know.  i need to stretch a lot more cuz i lift hard - which is counter-productive...oh well.

u will be fine this season.  although u may feel 'afraid' after your injury, sometimes your body needs a little careful pushing to get better instead of babying it.

2003-11-10 4:38 PM
in reply to: #1676

Veteran
Brisbane-Melbourne, Australia
I agree with Ron, however make sure you do a general warm up before you stretch. Initial stretching before exercise should only be through the range of movement, after exercise hold for 7 to 10 seconds, and through out the day as required.
Look after your back, and as Ron said be careful, not afraid, 10% rule is the goods to build up muscle strength again. How do I know ? I did my back in a parachuting drop during 1999, and it took me months to get over.

Craig
2003-11-10 6:18 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Hang in there, train smart and it will all fall into place.

Still Tri'n,
Michael
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Tri-ing again Rss Feed