Hempfield Triathlon Club
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 08m
Overall Rank = 16/60+
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

Well, since this was my first tri this was probably a one time routine. Since I live very close to the course, I was able to sleep a little later than most. Grabbed a Powerbar and a muffin for a quick bite then off to the course.

Racked my bike, set up my gear and went through the pool to transition area a few times to get a feel for it.

Got suited up and went poolside for the start!
Event warmup:

Quick jog then hopped into the pool for a few laps.
Swim
  • 06m 38s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

After the second lap, a few of us got bottled up behind another swimmer. We were able to pass once we hit the wall between laps two and three. Couldn't seem to get a rhythm at that time since it was pretty congested.

Overall, I was pleased since this was the one part of the race that made me a little edgy.
What would you do differently?:

I would've estimated my start time a little better. I erred on the side of caution and, as a result, think that I had a slower swim time than I really could have delivered.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Still need to work on running with bike and getting my feet into my shoes that are already clipped onto pedals.
Bike
  • 57m 12s
  • 16 miles
  • 16.78 mile/hr
Comments:

My average was closer to 17.5 MPH since that time includes my T1 & T2 times, as well as the bike portion. Was going along well until I popped my chain heading up a hill. Note to self: next time, get into the small ring prior to mid-hill.

Spent close to a minute getting the chain mounted and my bike back up to speed while headed uphill.

I probably rode the brakes a little hard into some corners since the road was slick. That definitely cost me on one hill where I killed some momentum prior to a climb.

I would choose a higher gear to allow more spinning and less pushing of the gears.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Got my feet out of my shoes and was able to get off the bike quickly enough. Legs were a little wobbly first off, but that was over fast enough.

Pretty pleased with my transition. At least my wife and kids were impressed! :)
Run
  • 24m 7s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Was able to pass about six or seven people during the course of the run. Tried to pick up the pace for the last mile. It was difficult to determine if I actually succeeded or not!

I certainly would throw in a few more brick sessions. I have worked them into my schedule, but a few more would not hurt.
Post race
Warm down:

A brief jog around the lot after finishing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Popped chain and the need for some more speedwork on my bike. I was pleased with my results. I will certainly get some speedwork going for the run leg. The fact that I can get out of the water alive is a plus. My swim coach calls me a "real sinker".

Event comments:

For my first race, this event was fine. A smaller turnout (crappy weather and the first running of the event) was helpful. The transition areas weren't cramped so you could really cruise through them. Helpful staff.

Last updated: 2006-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:38 | 300 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 31/60+
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri-shorts
Course: Did six laps of the pool. Up one side of a lane, turn and come back the other. Passing was done down the center of the lane or directly over a conmpetitor in front!
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:57:12 | 16 miles | 16.78 mile/hr
Overall: 19/60+
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills with a few short, steeper climbs. Nothing drastic at all.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:07 | 03.1 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 15/60+
Performance: Good
Course: Flat. A longer hill, but not a steep incline from about 1/2 to 1 mile mark. Out and back loop on the bike course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes